$10.00
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Introducing Tigris & Euphrates

Tigris & Euphrates has been in the BGG top 5 forever. Well, maybe not quite forever, but for a long time anyway. In fact, it was even the #1 game at one point, pre-dating the kingship of Puerto Rico. First published in 1997, it's now entering it's thirteenth year on the game table. And it remains popular - it's a Reiner Knizia game after all, and arguably his best. Certainly it features some innovative mechanics, and in many respects it's altogether unlike most other euro games.

Apparently Mayfair saw fit to give it a bit of a production overhaul, and so at the very end of 2008, we're saw a revised edition. If you're wondering what the revised edition is like, what you get, and how it looks, then you've come to the right place: this guide is for you.

Note: I won't be covering the rules or gameplay of the basic game, since this is intended primarily as guide to the revised edition.

What editions are there of Tigris & Euphrates?

Tigris & Euphrates has been through several different editions already:

1997 - Original German edition: Hans im Glück = Top Licence & 999 Games (French/Dutch)

2003 - Original English edition: Mayfair Games

2007 - Revised German edition: Pegasus Spiel

2008 - Revised English edition: Mayfair Games

Tigris & Euphrates was first published in German (and then in other European languages like French and Dutch), and then was published in English by Mayfair with different artwork. In 2007, the game was re-published in Germany with different artwork again, but with the addition of several new elements: an expansion map, and some extra components for advanced play. The revised edition from Mayfair includes these new elements, but retains some of the original Mayfair artwork.

So how does the artwork compare? Here are the games placed side by side, in this order:

German (1997) | English (2003)
German (2007) | English (2008)

Box covers

Game boards

Civilization tiles

(Note that the civilization tiles are unchanged in the Mayfair editions)

In play - detail

In play - entire game

Why did Mayfair produce a revised edition?

Mayfair sold out of its previous copies of Tigris & Euphrates. Since the German publisher Pegasus Spiele released a revised version of Tigris & Euphrates with several new elements (a two-sided gameboard, four new civilization buildings, and an advanced scenario for game play), Mayfair decided to incorporate these new elements in its new printing. The new elements were designed by Knizia himself.

What do you get with the revised edition?

Here's the complete list of components:

The majority of the artwork is unchanged from the original Mayfair, at least, on the tiles:

The main differences between the two Mayfair editions are the map artwork and some additional elements.

What is the same about the revised edition?

The following components in Mayfair's revised edition are identical to those of the original edition:

The player screens

There are 4 of these, one for each player's dynasty:

The reverse side has a rules reference:

The dynasty tiles

There are 4 dynasty tiles (Bull, Archer, Potter, Lion), one for each player:

These represent four great civilizations: Ur (Bull), Babylon (Lion), Hittites (Urn), and Assyria (Archer). (read more about the dynasty symbols here)

The leader markers

There are 16 of these, a set of four for each player's dynasty (Bull, Archer, Potter, Lion). There is a black King, green Trader, red Priest, and blue Farmer for each dynasty:

The civilization tiles

The 153 civilization tiles are the same as the original Mayfair edition, i.e. 30 black Settlements, 30 green Markets, 57 red Temples, and 36 blue Farms:

The bag

The bag is used to store the civilization tiles:

The unification tiles

There are 4 unification tiles (one for each player) that are used to indicate when two kingdoms join:

Note that the Mayfair website incorrectly states that there is only 1 unification tile - in fact there are 4.

The catastrophe tiles

Each player gets two catastrophe tiles, for a total of 8:

The monuments

There are 6 monuments, each consisting of two colours:

The victory point cubes

There are 80 small wooden cubes (20 in each of the four colours), and 60 large wooden cubes (15 in each of the four colours):

The treasure cubes

There are 10 wooden treasure markers:

The expansion map requires another 4 treasure markers, which were not included in the revised edition as an oversight. More information is described below, but this will be corrected in future shipments of the game, and Mayfair will provide customers who missed out with the missing treasure markers.

The rules

The game comes with two booklets. First of all there's the comprehensive Game Rules:

There is also a Game Overview booklet:

What is new about the revised edition?

The game box

Of course! A revised edition needs a new game box:

And of course the information on the back of the box has been updated to reflect the changes from previous editions:

Especially note the following: "This revised edition contains a new 2-sided game board, 4 new civilization buildings, and a new advanced scenario!" Let's find out more about these changes!

New artwork on the map

The artwork is somewhat similar to the German revised edition by Pegasus Spiele, but the colours are not quite as bright. At any rate, it's certainly a change from the artwork of the original Mayfair edition.

So how exactly does it look? I like the colours. Check out some of these more detailed pictures below, and judge for yourself:

It doesn't have the harsh and stark artwork of the first Mayfair edition, nor the overly bright colours of the Pegasus edition, but is more like the muted and soft colours of the original German edition. This also matches nicely with the artwork of the rest of the components:

An expansion map

This is the single biggest change implemented by the revised edition: the game board is double sided. What's on the reverse side? A new expansion map, as an alternate way to play the game:

One thing to notice is that there is no longer only one place on the map for building blue-based monuments.

But not only is the geography different, also notice how there are 14 temple locations instead of 10. Here's the artwork detail from part of the expansion map:

For discussion about the alternate map, see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/361734

Civilization buildings

There are 4 Civilization buildings, used for the advanced game, a Palace, Market Hall, Library, and Granary:

Ziggurat tiles and Tower

There are also 5 Ziggurat tiles, and a Tower that is used with them:

The civilization buildings and ziggurat tiles are all used for the advanced scenario.

How does the advanced scenario work?

The Advanced Game Board is the alternate board on the back of the original board, and uses a different map with 4 extra treasures. The original rules are used, with the addition of special rules for the 4 civilization buildings and 5 ziggurat tiles.

How do the civilization buildings work?

Whenever you create a line of 3 tiles of the same colour, you may take the corresponding colored building and place it on these tiles. When placing a tile in a kingdom containing a building of this colour, the score for the respective leader increases from 1 to 2 cubes. Tiles supporting civilization buildings also can't be removed as a result of conflict.

For a detailed explanation of the rules for civilization buildings, see the English translation of the Pegasus rules here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/33378

For discussion about the variant with civilization buildings, see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/157943

How do the ziggurat tiles work?

The Ziggurat is a special monument consisting of five tiles in a a cross-like shape. Whenever you create a cross of 5 tiles of any one colour, you can replace them with the Ziggurat tiles, and place the Tower in the center. The Ziggurat works like all other monuments, but it cannot be destroyed, and it only gives bonuses if your King is in a kingdom containing the Ziggurat.

The Ziggurat is a new addition that seems to be limited to the English revised edition by Mayfair, and is not part of the German revised edition by Pegasus.

For discussion about the variant with the ziggurat, see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/374007

Are there any problems with the revised edition?

There are two issues you should be aware of:

Can you play with 2 players?

The side of the box states that the game is suitable for 3-4 players:

Clearly this is a mistake - the game is just as suitable for two players as it has always been. Oddly enough Mayfair's website incorrectly states that the revised edition is for 2-6 players - this is also a mistake. Don't panic folks, the revised edition is for 2-4 players, just like the original.

Are there enough treasure cubes?

The game comes with 10 treasure markers. But doesn't the expansion board require 14? Oops! This is a small mistake made by Mayfair, and they know about it. In fact, you'll find this on their website:
Quote:
For those of you who have obtained the new version of Tigris and Euphrates (MFG 4116), you will find that insufficient treasure cubes were provided to play one of the two boards provided. Mayfair Games apologizes for the error, and is taking steps to resolve the error for the next round of assembled games. If you have a new version (owners with a Mayfair edition double-sided board, stock number MFG 4116) with only 10 natural-wood treasure cubes, contact Mayfair Customer Service at custserv@mayfairgames.com. Provide us with your name and address, and we will send you four cubes as soon as the game pieces arrive (allow 2-3 weeks before we can begin to process cube supplement requests; the order was placed as soon as the error was discovered, and our delivery schedule for the pieces has now been confirmed).

Note that games that are assembled after this announcement will have the correct number of cubes, but will NOT reflect the new number on the box and rules. We will fix these on subsequent runs, but these pieces have already been printed and prepared for assembly.

T&E underwent a facelift previous to this new edition, and in our attempt to preserve as much of the work that had gone before, one necessary change did not get applied. Mayfair will post a note here as soon as we begin to ship cube supplement requests, and again regrets the inconvenience to our players!

See also the discussion thread here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/372063

What are people saying about the revised edition?

It's still early days as yet, but here are some preliminary comments from others about the revised edition.

About the artwork:
"The 1st Mayfair Edition ... has a horrible board that makes it look like you're building a civilization in Antartica." - Nicolas Boulo
"Mayfair edition 1 is the worst graphically. It's too busy." - candoo
"I think the second edition has the prettier artwork, but the artwork of the first edition looks much clearer and you can distinguish the different kind of tiles better." - Berthold Nüchter (comment on German editions)

About the expansion map and advanced game:
"If you never wanted to play the advanced game, you wouldn't need the extra components. The advanced game is intended for long time T&E players that want to add something new, like an expansion." - droberts441
"The base game offers a lot of gameplay and replayability. The variants/additions are not necessary. You could use any cube or marker to denote the extra civilization buildings." - candoo
"I don't care that much about the extra monuments and the second board. The base game has an extraordinary longevity/replayability by itself. No extra chrome is needed in my humble opinion." - Guillaume Gallais
"The biggest difference is that there are a heck of a lot more treasures. As a result, the tempo of the game changes; the early game scramble for treasures that is ended by imminent external conflicts feels like it lasts longer, and then there seems to be a precipitous shift to not enough space on the board. For experienced players it offers a nice change of pace." - Mark Bigney

It would seem that the jury is still out on what the game play with the advanced rules is like, but initial comments about the artwork of the revised edition are positive.

Recommendation

So should you get the revised edition? Since Mayfair is no longer printing the original version of the game, unless your favourite retailer still has it in stock, it looks like the only version that will be available in the future will be the revised edition. What about if you already own the game? The general consensus is that Tigris & Euphrates is a fantastic game with high replayability in its own right, and I haven't seen too many threads with people begging for expansions. The expansion map and components do offer something new for die-hard players, but it's probably not worth buying the revised version if you already have the base game, unless you're really in love with the new artwork. But for gamers like me who are only just adding Tigris & Euphrates to our games collection, the revised edition is more than satisfactory, and a welcome addition to the stable!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mb The complete list of Ender's pictorial reviews: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37596

Subscribe to this list to be notified when new reviews are posted.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I had no idea that there were changes in the game. Thanks for posting this - now I'm going to have to pick this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Meadows
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I've been going back and forth about whether to pick this game up for about a year now. I had largely gotten away from considering it, but now after looking over your review, I've reopened my internal debate all over again!

Good stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice overview! Thankyou so much! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fine work, Wiggins! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful review! I've been looking for something exactly like this to explain the new edition in detail. Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fantastic review. Now I need to find a suitable taget to offload my old version so I can get this new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan José Fernández Quiroga
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
People think I'm crazy, but I love the artwork (including the board) of the previous Mayfair edition. I think it's all about tastes.
BTW, great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the new board! Anyone who loves the Pegasus Spiele version interested in a trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good rewiev, but I would like to mention that my quoted comment about the artwork of the first and second edition was about the german editions, not the editions from Mayfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nichols
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ponchera69, you're not alone! I went ahead and bought the last lcoal copy of the old Mayfair edition as I really don't like the new board. Plus I didn't want to wait for Mayfair to print the new edition at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the wonderfully pictured thread. Helpful for all new and old T&E fans.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
ponchera69 wrote:
People think I'm crazy, but I love the artwork (including the board) of the previous Mayfair edition. I think it's all about tastes.
BTW, great review.

No, I like the original Mayfair artwork, too.

And it would seem to be rather easy to incorporate the rules for the Civilization buildings into the old version of the game. Just use one each of the large cubes for the buildings.

Though the new bits are purty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:

Are there enough treasure cubes?

The game comes with 10 treasure markers. But doesn't the expansion board require 14? Oops! This is a small mistake made by Mayfair, and they know about it.

It's funny as in the Pegasus edition they already had the 14 cubes for the second board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Deacon
England
flag msg tools
Many thanks for this stunning review which has been particularly helpful to me. I really wanted to play this game when I came across it recently, for the sad reason that I am very interested in the ancient Near East but only ever play board games with my wife and so was deterred by the 3-5 player tag; now I find you can play with two I will be heading off to Mespotamia as soon as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Fruitland Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks on the review. I've been wanting to pick this one up for a while but am still hoping that I will find someone with a Hans im Glück copy they don't want. I much prefer the art used for it, mainly on the tiles. Love the original tiles; all the others just don't do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
sandmaker wrote:
Many thanks on the review. I've been wanting to pick this one up for a while but am still hoping that I will find someone with a Hans im Glück copy they don't want. I much prefer the art used for it, mainly on the tiles. Love the original tiles; all the others just don't do it for me.

You can buy the Top License version on http://www.levalet.com/ which has identical artwork to the Hans im Gluck version. The rules are in French and Dutch, but the game is language independent. It's relatively affordable too, so it's like the poor-man's HiG version. I'm very happy that I finally picked up a copy of the Top License version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Fruitland Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
You can buy the Top License version on http://www.levalet.com/ which has identical artwork to the Hans im Gluck version. The rules are in French and Dutch, but the game is language independent. It's relatively affordable too, so it's like the poor-man's HiG version. I'm very happy that I finally picked up a copy of the Top License version

That is great news. Thank you so much. Now hopefully they will still have one in stock next month when I have some spare cash for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review! I thought the game was meant for 3-4 players when I saw Mayfair's website. However, when people discussed about 2-player game in BGG, I was confused. Until I read your review, my doubt is all cleared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rarely has a review answered, in such great detail, a precise question I had about a game. Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
prolly my #1 game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great comparison, thanks for posting. Didnt realise there was this mini expansion with the extra gameplay options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread necromancy, but I note that even the enormously detailed first post misses a detail.

The original HiG version also had a limited number of English rulebooks produced - full colour as the German rulebook (I've never seen the indicated French HiG version). I got my copy direct from Reiner Knizia, so I have no idea how they were otherwise distributed, or how many there were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ol' thread to find. Picked up T&E "old school" after enjoying on app for a year. (And yes, by this late stage in the new edition OOP cycle the extra treasures were included in box.) The expansions offer a nice twist of pace and drove my choice to purchase.

I'll only chime in to add for fans of the historical theme -- though abstracted, of course, since all four weren't parallel historical dynasties, is that there wasn't a kingdom of Ur, notwithstanding what the rule book says. Ur was a strategic port city that fell under control by a number of kingdoms, including others (like Babylon-Chaldea) represented by other symbols of the game. I'd say the Bull is best represented for the kingdom of Sumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.