Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Comments: MUCH better components; interesting maps included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Gumulka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can urbanize max 3 cities on Barbados

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job, thanks for reassuring me that I don't need to buy this version if I have an earlier edition. I personally could care less about the trains and I made my own St. Lucia and Barbados maps. I am glad to see it is available again though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Quick Comments: MUCH better components

"Much better?" Looks like a net wash. On the plus side you have the laminated tracking sheets. On the down side you have plastic toy trains instead of the wooden markers. The money is equally useless in all editions.

Even if you think that the plastic trains are a plus, how does this equate to "much better"? The components in the first two editions were damn good to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Even if you think that the plastic trains are a plus, how does this equate to "much better"? The components in the first two editions were damn good to begin with.

It's just an observation but I think AOS purists will not be happy with any change to there holy grail game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
jdludlow wrote:
Even if you think that the plastic trains are a plus, how does this equate to "much better"?

+1

Quote:
The components in the first two editions were damn good to begin with.

Ted did a nice job with the new track tile art but I do not like the green mottle on the main board. Shrug. I also dislike the small city circles. The previous broader hex-side cityscape was more attractive and allowed the flexibility to make each city location unique for that location. The rest of the production seems fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

It's just an observation but I think AOS purists will not be happy with any change to there holy grail game.

Yes, I have an irrational attachment to this game. However, I was simply taking exception to the "MUCH better components" comment, because that implies that there was something wrong with the components to begin with.

I'll also admit that, unlike a typical Dice Tower review, I rarely have the reaction, "Whoa, a box full of plastic! Best game evar!" Maybe I'm not their target demographic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
jdludlow wrote:
I'll also admit that, unlike a typical Dice Tower review, I rarely have the reaction, "Whoa, a box full of plastic! Best game evar!" Maybe I'm not their target demographic.

I can only imagine the reaction to boxes of sandwich bags at the supermarket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I hear him say correctly that the tiles are made of vinyl, and not cardboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

vinyl

What? eek! Oh well, at least it'll push the price of 2nd edition down so I can pick one of those up. Need a couple of boxes to hold all the expansions

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

The wood markers are still there? Are there not enough to use them instead of the trains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why are discs better than trains? This makes no sense to me, and is - I think - a very minority opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's that a) the trains are kind of ugly, and b) they seem out of sync with the quality of the rest of the components. They seem like they were just tossed in b/c FRED had some extras lying around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
jdludlow wrote:
Even if you think that the plastic trains are a plus, how does this equate to "much better"?

+1

Me too. The new re-design lacks the dignity of the previous editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

I can only imagine the reaction to boxes of sandwich bags at the supermarket.

ROFLMAO!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
TomVasel wrote:
Out of curiosity, why are discs better than trains? This makes no sense to me, and is - I think - a very minority opinion.

Less is more. More is, well, this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
skwm wrote:
Did I hear him say correctly that the tiles are made of vinyl, and not cardboard?

He did say that, but they are made of cardboard, same as the prior printings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I don't know why I said that. I meant the tiles had a linen finish.

As for older editions being "dignified", that just cracks me up. I'm sure some people like the abstract nature (read: ugly) of the original board and components, but this will give the game appeal to a wider audience. Believe it or not, lots of people like plastic trains!

But go on sneering down your noses at those who do - it makes you look more dignified!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skwm wrote:
I think it's that a) the trains are kind of ugly, and b) they seem out of sync with the quality of the rest of the components. They seem like they were just tossed in b/c FRED had some extras lying around.
It just proves that no matter what people will whine. All those that didn't get animeeples with Agricola were outraged at not being able to play the game with their non-gaming friends. Now in AOS the cute trains are a detriment.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to sell you those "classic" AOS wooden disks if you just can't play the game with the ugly trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
TomVasel wrote:
As for older editions being "dignified", that just cracks me up. I'm sure some people like the abstract nature (read: ugly) of the original board and components, but this will give the game appeal to a wider audience. Believe it or not, lots of people like plastic trains!

But go on sneering down your noses at those who do - it makes you look more dignified!

It's not about looking dignified. It's about avoiding crass, Walmarty plastic.

Which version warms your heart?

This...

or this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
What? eek! Oh well, at least it'll push the price of 2nd edition down

Boy, I wonder. I actually like the discs better than the trains. Personal preference, though. I wonder if people will feel like 2nd edition will still be the "non toy-train edition" and keep it in demand with reasonably high prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
TomVasel wrote:

I've run an informal poll of around a dozen local AoS players. Wood discs won unanimously. Core reasons:

- Smaller and thus don't obscure track beneath them (eg complex track and town stubs)
- Easier to handle
- No questions of orientation, laying on their sides or other such silliness; discs just sit flat
- Perfectly match the discs already used for markers on the charts
- Wood is tactiley better than plastic; they preferred the idea of organic material for bots

Caveat: My informal survey was biased by only asking players who already like and play Age of Steam frequently (albeit rarely with me!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
TomVasel wrote:
As for older editions being "dignified", that just cracks me up.

Good or bad, to your taste or not, the first and second editions had a flat and rather utilitarian presentation that was carried consistently throughout the design. Its very simplicity, plainness if you will, was and is an aesthetic in it own right. (I happen to rather like it but tastes vary widely) The new 3rd edition is not so consistent in its presentation design. Some parts are richly coloured, others are plain, some bits are highly detailed simulacra and others are geometric abstract, the colours are saturated here and monochrome there, etc. It is somewhat jumbled. The presentation is not consistent. I'm sure that many will prefer the brighter board etc colours but the inconsistent presentation in the 3rd edition is a clear goof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:

Looking at the box back graphics it looks like the trains are somewhat oversized for their purpose, and will likely obstruct clear view of the track under them. How about fitting these in a very small track section? Can it be even done?

I wouldn't have anything against the plastic trains if they didn't affect playability, but it seems they will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wooden trains from Chicago Express would have been nice. Yes, I know that's Queen. If there's a disc 'upgrade' pack, I'd be sorely tempted.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.