Subject: New World War Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Medved
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Hey everyone, I have been an Axis & Allies fan for years and finally decided to create a modern version of the game with added pieces and new rules and a modern map of the world. the new game is called Superpowers and I just received my first 2500 copies of the game.

It turned out awesome and i'm sure plenty of people are going to have a blast playing it. Feel free to check it out here and let me know if you have any questions.

www.superpowersgame.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats! do you have any pics of it? i didn't see any on the website. get it entered here on the geek too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Persson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like it could be fun! Well done! Anxiously awaiting some pictures though

Good luck with selling them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
All he got was more thankless work, from a man who ain't even asked his name. Sure, I may be the one who dreamt up the Walls and the Bastion, but the Kid made 'em real, not me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a pic from the official website:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Medved
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for uploading the pic =)

Yes, I'm trying to get the game added to this web site but it keeps saying the feature is disabled :S

I emailed some contact people, so hopefully I can get it figured out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we get the option to use nukes? Modern warfare is so much more deadlier with Nukes.

Ah, I see that we do. Did you provide Mushroom clouds for me to put for radioactive fallout upon the unfortunate souls, showing irradiation not only to the poor souls I nuked, but to any other foolish enough to enter the new sea of glass?

You should have a variant to allow Industrial complexes to be annhilated by Nukes.

I see it offers and expansion pack, but not allowed until summer. Does that allow for us to nuke the world to heck if everyone gets nuke happy?

Can we just call the "SUPER Battleship" a dreadnought? what about the modern ideas of Frigates and cruisers?

Carrier groups and Cruisers are the way to go in this modern age (with a few frigates and subs in the mix there)?

Why Battleships and "SUPER" Battleships?

One final question for those seeking to obtain hard copies, I see you only seem to have paypal as the way to order, what about those who do not use paypal. Money Order, Cheque, or international orders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
Can we just call the "SUPER Battleship" a dreadnought?

You could . . . but none of the world's navies has any battleships, let alone dreadnoughts.

GreyLord wrote:
. . . what about the modern ideas of Frigates and cruisers? . . . Why Battleships and "SUPER" Battleships?

At this scale, the battleships could represent cruiser/destroyer task forces, and the super-battleships could represent cruisers and destroyers with land-attack cruise-missiles (LACMs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
GreyLord wrote:
Can we just call the "SUPER Battleship" a dreadnought?

You could . . . but none of the world's navies has any battleships, let alone dreadnoughts.

GreyLord wrote:
. . . what about the modern ideas of Frigates and cruisers? . . . Why Battleships and "SUPER" Battleships?

At this scale, the battleships could represent cruiser/destroyer task forces, and the super-battleships could represent cruisers and destroyers with land-attack cruise-missiles (LACMs).

Oh I know, but since they already have Battleships, which harken back to the WW1 & WW2 periods, might as well have Dreadnoughts too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Medved
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Paypal works for most pay options. I will set up an way of contacting me for checks soon.

As for the battleships, yes that was a tough choice. Yes battleships are outdated, but for better playability I wanted a trump sea piece to act as the flagship of a sea fleet and cruisers just are that awe-inspiring. I'm still on the fense a little with this, but i like the way the game plays having the battleship in the mix. When people hear the word battleship, they know its a very strong piece. not so much with cruisers.

By the way, I'm currently advertising this on craigslist with a short time special rate of just $20 till the end of the month. Feel free to take advantage of this deal.

http://www.superpowersgame.com/scripts/game_purchase_craigs....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WEI-CHENG CHENG
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing this special deal.
I want to ask if it is OK for international shipping, like Taiwan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Medved
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Sorry. Not unless you were willing to pay all the shipping charges. It cost me about $50 just to ship one game to canada. probably would be much more to taiwan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question - why is the icon for China Green with yellow stars? Shouldn't it be Red with yellow stars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rick_SP wrote:
Sorry. Not unless you were willing to pay all the shipping charges. It cost me about $50 just to ship one game to canada. probably would be much more to taiwan.

Really?

Sounds like you need a different courier. Unless this game weighs 100kg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Medved
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
China is green because red was already taken by japan. Keep in mind these are fictional superpowers and one of them needed to be green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick_SP wrote:

By the way, I'm currently advertising this on craigslist with a short time special rate of just $20 till the end of the month. Feel free to take advantage of this deal.

http://www.superpowersgame.com/scripts/game_purchase_craigs....

Wish I had finished this thread before ordering.

Good luck on your endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm beginning a "Guild" for this here if anyone is interested for that. Right now then I am 5 'shy' on that, while I figure that you could FIND someone quicker in this manner for wherever you are located, and I'm hoping to enjoy this with "Face to Face" playings sometimes soonish!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Murphy
United States
Manassas
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the dimensions of the board for Superpowers?

My husband just had me purchase one of these from you. He's going to try to set up a play testing group in our area, which is Northern Virginia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Medved
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Hey that's great! I am very curious to hear how the play testing goes =)

the board is roughly 19" x 35" and a tri-fold. Its a pretty good size board, about the same size as axis & allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meenki boo
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why Battleships and "SUPER" Battleships?

surprise

If you wanted to pick out inaccuracies those are just the tip of the iceberg. Transports? When was the last time transports were used to move troops? Today troops are moved with passenger jets. "Imperial Japan" controls the far eastern seaboard including parts of Russia and China. There are two giant areas in western Russia called Chechnya and Caucasus and Georgia is south of the Caucasus! Communist China(?) controls Indo-China and Indonesia. There is an African superpower with a capital in the Congo? Spanish speaking Latin America has their capital in Portuguese speaking Brazil. And the so-called neutral countries are simply bizarre.
gulp

Why be so hard on the guy? It's not a wargame nor does it pretend to be a simulation. It's not trying to be vaguely realistic. It's just for fun! If the guy wants WWI and WWII stuff mixed with B-1 Bombers that's his prerogative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Murphy
United States
Manassas
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband says regarding transports and the movement of troops with passenger jets, you need transports to move heavy equipment, i.e. tanks, armored vehicles of all types, artillery, and massive amounts of supplies.

Passenger jets are only used to move lightly armed troops to an area where those transports have already moved their heavy equipment to so they can be mated up with that heavy equipment for the purposes of combat.

Regarding the question, "Why Battleships and "SUPER" Battleships?", my husband thinks these naval units should possibly be reclassified into two types of task forces that would contain various types of missle carrying warships, fast moving light helicopter carriers and medium sized aircraft carriers carrying jets, both with built-in assault and troop carrier transport capabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I had great fun with your online game. It is a derivation of A&A but it's a very good derivation. Keep designing and work on your own original creations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
cool I've submitted for the "Guild" now and await 'word' on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested too but...how many hours is the game (more or less)???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Murphy
United States
Manassas
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with getting the Guild, Robert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
pedrotronic wrote:
I'm interested too but...how many hours is the game (more or less)???
I'll "guestimate" with around 4 to 5 hours WHEN constantly PLAYED by '2' players, or perhaps for a SET with 2-apiece in 'Team' PLAY, as it really depends upon how many "Turns" that you complete. At times it may speed up where a "lull" ensues yet it is kept UPDATED with a "REFRESH" and do keep this IN 'mind' to figure out WHEN you 'need' to "GO"! The more people then the MORE 'time' it'll take, unless prior arrangement is agreed upon from the START to conduct this throughout some 'sitting'. I'm working on having "Scheduled Events" in order for others to "match-up" at times and PLAY this against one another. Keeping in 'touch' through their OWN "Chat" or ours HERE, then any amount ought to become accommodated for such, eh?
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.