Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the artwork of the new edition of Money! by Gryphon Games. They've based it closely on actual banknotes, as you can see here:

But I have a special fondness for inside jokes, and there are several of them in this new edition of Knizia's game.

Let's begin with the most obvious one - the British pound banknote features the game's designer, Reiner Knizia:

You probably caught that one yourself, right? But did you notice the text under The Bank of England? The original pound note says "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of...", whereas the banknote from the game says something a little more humorous and Knizialike: "I promise to be the sum of the man."

Identifying the rest of the inside jokes is a little more tricky. Featured on the Euro banknote, is a silhouette of Sean, one of the partners of the publishing company:

And on the Brazilian real banknote is another partner in the company, Cam, who is also head of US sales:

And who is the cute youngster that looks like a watermark on the Canadian bill? Why, it's Logan, the son of the Director of Marketing Keith Blume:

So who is responsible for this humour? Surely it bears the signature of artist Paul Niemeyer! And sure enough, the artist himself has put his signature on several of the banknotes in the game, designating himself amongst other things as the Grand High Minister of Artistry!

I love it! A job well done by Paul Niemeyer and by Gryphon Games - small touches like this are what make games special.

Are there more easter eggs in this game that I've missed? If you've found more, please share them here! And if you enjoyed this article, also check my more complete list of inside jokes in games:

Games with Inside Jokes for Gamers: A Definitive Pictorial List
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35957

Maybe it's time for me to go visit my local game store to do some shopping.
I wonder if I can get away with paying them with Gryphon Games Notes in lieu of cash?

Finally, here's my own amateur effort with a not-so-subtle inside joke - when I noticed that one of the notes in the game had the serial number FRED 007, I figured it needed a small makeover:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mb
I haven't had a real twenty dollar bill in my hands in so long, it took me a minute to figure out what was different with yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume, if you are reading this, I salute you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred CS
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Thank you Lurking Meeple (assuming the salute was not one of the negative variety) :-)

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
Great article, thanks for pointing these out! I found the baby's head especially surprising and humorous, and I'd have never noticed it on my own. Of course, I didn't notice the hockey players until now either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.