Popular Tags: diy [+] Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I know I'm not the first one to take thir battlelore game to "the next level", but, I figure people here will appreciate the pictures, so I'll just post them.

I went with 3 inch hexes because I wanted enough room to make some descent terrain, but, not be so big that it is a pain to play on and transport.

I’m sort of pecking at it slowly, and still have a lot of terrain to build, but I have the foundation finished (it was actually a bit more time consuming than it looks).

If you look closely at the table edges you can sort of see the war council on both sides looking over the battle. I’m working on a base for them, card holders for the edge of the table, and some matching dice towers…but these things take time, and I’m taking it casually.

[/QUOTE]

If you like more information on how I did everything, continue to read . I might re-do the river on cork board, as the balsa wood warped a little, and is a little light to use as effectively as I want, but, for now it's fine.

The table

I started out with those tiles I got from Fleet Farm for $.71 cents a piece and cut them down to the right size with a sharp utility knife (although I did screw up my measurements somehow and made them ½ inch too short. On border is only 1 ½” while the other is 2”…oh well, I’m not perfect, and it’s hard to notice ).

Then I bordered the edges with tape for durability. I drew 3” vertical lines to use as my guide, and then choose to go with a Hex template. Not as accurate as doing a million mathematical figures, but a lot faster.

I then painted the lines. Word to the wise, don’t use a water soluble ink to draw the lines like I did! Arg! Thank God I used a color like Green, but I did have to double paint everything to cover the bleed.

After that I used a mixture of sand and paint to paint each hex individually, then flocked them individually with a homebrew mix of burnt earth flock and multi-colored static grass for the color I wanted.

Painted up the border and this step was done. There were shortcuts I could have taken, but, I think the end result was worth the extra time and patience.

Hills

I simply used my template to trace the hex shape onto the left over Styrofoam I cut off (1/2 inch thick), used a foam cutter to cut them out at an angle. Painted them, and flocked them the same as the board.

River

I really wanted these to be a bit more 3-D than they turned out, but they are functional enough. I used the template to draw the hexes out on 3” strips of balsa wood (I think balsa wood is overrated, I didn’t like working with it at all. These were $3 a strip, and I had to get 3 of them). After measuring and marking the entrance and exiting points of the rivers, I drew them with a pencil, then cut them out with some wood carving tools. Painted them up , using sand for the shoreline and them flocked them, same as the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is some detail on one of the war councils...

I decided to whip out my super-limited-edition War Council expansion! I dumped out the contents of the box. It contained several metal washers, some magnets (I had to scrape sticky stuff off the back of) and what looked like some plastic 1:72 scale fantasy miniatures from Caesar.

I suppose I could have gone bigger, but I wanted to stay plastic, and small. Still, the 1:72 scale is probably about 5mm larger than the standard Battlelore mini. This looks good because it makes the War Council look a bit more dramatic, without making it look like it isn’t part of the game.

I glued the minis to the metal washers to give them some weight and make them stick to the magnets.

After painting up the magnets and the miniatures I have a one of a kind custom War Council. Here we have a 3rd level Commander, a 2nd level Wizard and Warrior, and a 1st level Rogue and Cleric. Battle On!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric DC
Belgium
Kontich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amazing work, it makes the battlefield really come alive. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is hardcore! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool! IMPRESSIVE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Always great seeing your stuff grubman (I visit rpg.net and Lead Adventurer, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the 3D glasses help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing stuff! Looks like a great setup.

What was your outlay in time and money? What would you say regarding the complexity level of all this? Could a beginner like me achieve the results you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice craftwork. It's a shame it couldn't be for a better game.

BTW, this would probably be better suited in the BattleLore Forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_galloway wrote:
Amazing stuff! Looks like a great setup.

What was your outlay in time and money? What would you say regarding the complexity level of all this? Could a beginner like me achieve the results you have?

Thanks everyone.

bill, I'm known for doing things on the cheap.The styrofoam cost under $2.50, and the balsa wood was about $6. That's all I've invested so far. Of course, I already have a collection of paints and flock and such, but, even those are cheap Wal-mart brands.

As far as a "beginner" doing it, I don't see why not (especially since I gave instructions with pictures ). The biggest thing to remember is that stuff takes time and patience, everything isn't going to get done in a couple hours.

Everything I do is always an experimment, sometimes things work and I can use them again, and sometimes they are failures. Thankfully the failures get less and less with time. I'd suggest putting your own unique twist on it (and maybe improving on what I've done). There is more than one way to skin a cat. I could have used wood, went with 4 inch squares, choosen different colors, ect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Nice craftwork. It's a shame it couldn't be for a better game.

BTW, this would probably be better suited in the BattleLore Forums.

Sorry, I'm new to these forums. I've used this site for years, but never the forum (other than to read). I figured that I'm playing enough board games these days that I should start taking part here.

So, there is a Battlelore forum here? I'll look around, but if you can give me directions, that would be cool.

P.S. Oh, I LLOOVVEE Battlelore, it's pretty much replaced all my "real" miniature wargames. Different strokes for different folks and all that I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25417
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The painted war counsel looks awesome.

For the landscape, you could try to get some more natural look by using irregular shapes. The trees look like carefully cut by a gardener and the hills are almost same-looking perfect hexagons. There would be enough space on the hexes to add some rocks and treestumps, and plant more trees on the woods. Don't beat me if you intended to do so anyway and I'm just pointing out something obvious - or maybe you like it like it is because now you can actually still find your miniatures on the board ;-).

Even though I do not like this regular look so much, I must still say that the board looks good and one can see that it was done with care and skill. I enjoyed looking at it, thank you for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
or maybe you like it like it is

Thanks for the comments. I actually do put a lot of thought into things like those you have mentioned. I debated other ways of doing things, but, decided that due to the nature of how the game plays some things would just work beter (and were easier and cheaper to make).

For example, I did debate building little "realistic" forests on hexes, but, decided that a single tree would be a good representative that the hex is a woods, it would allow plenty of room to position units without having to move stuff around, and (one of my primary missions durring the building of the table) the single trees (with plenty of sealer) wouldn't be fragile at all. I want the whole table to be durrable, thrown into a little box, and transported without me worrying about damage.

I also thought about building more realistic looking hills, but, again, they would be more fragile and the game peices probably wouldn't set on them as well. As is, these can be thrown like a frisby and not take any damage .

So, really, me decisions were based on a balance between how it would look, how it would function, and how well it would transport and store (I don't have a lot of room).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely GREAT!
I also "dabble" in 3D terrain for BL...

Aesthetics AND functionality were a concern too, when I did mine.
I went with a Settlers hex for size, and found that this gave me plenty of room for "realistic" modelled forrests and hills. They are very durable and easy to place models on!

Love the War Counsil!
Looking forward to seeing your Landmarks!
Here are mine + Ramparts:

For comparative purposes, or just for the fun of it, you might find it entertaining to read my 3D BL article from a couple of years ago...

Jesper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
For comparative purposes, or just for the fun of it, you might find it entertaining to read my 3D BL article from a couple of years ago...

I did find (and read) it when I first got into Battlelore. Very inspirational, in fact I bookmarked it along with a site in French I can't read ( http://shepard-le-gueux.over-blog.com/ ). I already knew before I even purchased the game that I would do this (becasue that's just the kind of stuff I do ) and it was nice to see there were other hobbyests who saw the potential of this as more than a simple boardgame.

I won't lie...yours looks cooler than mine, and you've mastered some techniques I haven't (even after 28 years of doing this kind of crap ), but I still do take a lot of pride in doing things my own way, and making something that is "unique" instead of simply copying someone elses idea and techinques...so, I decided how I was going to do things before comparing them to anyone elses way and result.

Still, I am going to use some of your stuff as direct inspiration for some terrain peices (although, in a few cases (like battlelments) there are only so many ways to skin a cat ).

It'd be awsome to go to a convention some day and see a Battlelore tournement going on with a room full of tables like this, and painted figures, wouldn't it!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David!

Glad to hear you like what I did witH MY BL!
I think you found some clever solutions to design problems similar to those I´ve been having.
My board is not very precise, and I´ve been thinking of redoing it.
Some of my pieces are also a little fragile, and I´m sure it all takes up a lot more space...
I don´t like to just copy what other people did either, but I gladly take inspiration whereever I find it!
I think the War counsils are great, and I´ve been thinking something along the same lines... Just haven´t found the time...

Quote:

It'd be awsome to go to a convention some day and see a Battlelore tournement going on with a room full of tables like this, and painted figures, wouldn't it!?

I´d go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of a "finishing touch" to the table. I realized I would need a place for Victory Points, since I didn't have the game board anymore.

Since the table takes up a lot more space on the play surface, I decided to combine a few things that would save space, and hopefully look cool, and be portable as well. I came up with this idea for a combination card holder/VP holder/ and a place for the War Council (without that big card in the way).

I decided to step away from simply copying the way the game board looks, and create a unique look. It looks better in "person", and I really like the way things came out...and now I don't have to worry about the card holder tipping over on me every time I laugh (does anyone else have that problem? I laugh on the card holder and the air blows it over at least 2 or 3 times a game session.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, gorgeous work, and I love the add-on at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.