Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody played an actual copy of this or can tell me, how large the board is? In the video, it look huge, but maybe this is only a demo board for the fair? If not, it looks gorgeous!

[Edit: Ha! Found in the wiki entry right here 65 x 65 cm! Wow!]

I think to purchase a copy for our youth club - would be great in our café for teenagers to play - or am I wrong?

How much strategy / tactics / dexterity is in it?

How fast are the pieces? Can you "blast" a whole company of your opponents` pieces with a tough "snap!" or is it more shuffling around on the board, each player for his own?

And anything else - I want to hear more about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Reymond
France
flag msg tools
designer
As most of the people who know the game are french and they don't come here, I am going to answer your questions, I am the designer so it worths what it worths...

The board is 65x65cm, and when it is closed it forms a 65x32.5cm wooden box with a handle to carry it.

The pieces are fast enough to cross the board twice (with a bounce on a border) with a good flick. You can put some Carrom powder on the board if you want but it's really not needed.

You cannot blast a whole company of your opponents in a single shot, but you can capture 2 of them in a good one (or 3 if you are very good or very lucky...).

I am going to talk only about the first game, but the other ones are not only variants and they really worth to be played...

I don't know if we can tell that there is strategy in the game but there is definitly a lot of tactics in it.
If there is some strategy, it's at the beginning when you place your reefs on the board. You have to think at the best places to help you and annoy your opponent. Some of your reefs are going to be defensive (for example to defend your sanctuaries) and others offensives (to create protected places for your pieces). With some pratice you will see that it's really important and that moving a reef of 5mm can transform a good position into a bad position. It's tricky to see that in the first plays but you can start with the positions of the rules, they are a good start.

You have 2 ways to win a round, collect the 2 keys and open the door of Paleo, or capture all the opponent's pieces, but the first one gives you 2 points and the second one only 1 point. So you are going to start by trying to collect the keys. You do that with the Explorers, but the problem is that they are defenceless. So you have to protect them, with the reefs and with your Mercenaries. So maybe it's better to send first your Mercenaries, to make some protected areas. But you have to be carefull to not expose your Mercenaries to the opponent's ones because you have only 3 of them and you really don't want to loose them. And while you try to collect your keys, you have to prevent your opponent to collect his...

And then you have the dexterity factor. You think about a really good shot, strategically perfect, but are you good enough to succeed? Isn't it too much risky? What's going to happen if you miss? Isn't it better to move my piece 5mm to the right to be in a better position for the next turn?
And of course, with the dexterity comes the luck factor... Shots that you haven't planned but that change radically the game.

Near the end of the round, maybe you will have to change your mind, depending of your pieces left, your opponent's pieces, the keys you and him have collected, and decide that it's better to capture all his pieces and wins 1 point than to try open the door and maybe loose.

So it's a game with a lot of choices and a lot of turnarounds. You can play very quickly, instinctively, but you also can play very strategically.
For me the best configuration is with 4 players, you play in teams and have a lot of talking (I protect you while you do that...)

I hope these explanations are going to give you a better view of the game, and that my english is understandable enough.

Pascal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! This all seems like a lot of fun indeed! It is not too much of my personal cup of tea, but I will see, if the director of the youth club can be convinced to get a copy for the café.

Any tournament rules or special experiences about this?

How about some session reports, more photos, development or playtest insights, the secret of the adhesive pads for the reefs?

Which of the other games is the "best", in your opinion? Any preference?

I am so curious about this game, I don`t know why ...

And your English is perfect!

BTW, any need for a translator into German in the next couple of weeks or so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.