Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

After some time of soul-searching, working through new and different equipment, and dealing with hackers who found their way into my BGWS site (booo!), I can finally bring you the new BGWS.

In order to fight off burning out, I'm looking for ways to make the process take less time. So, I'm going to be doing some experimenting. This time, I'm playing with a shorter format, and a very different method of filming. I'm not happy with the video quality yet, but that will come with time and experimentation.

But for me, the experimentation is key - it's what keeps me interested.

You can download the video at http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=117

or watch it here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Hesperia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Back Scott!!!

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
Loved the funny opening...Title Card (1:42) has a typo...Forumla D

EDIT - Good job! I like the shorter format as it what I would like to see if I were uncertain or curious about a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat McLaughlin
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
What's another word for Thesaurus?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice vid Scott. I think your new format does the job well - enough 'chrome' is flashed around to entice gamers/buyers and your explanation, as always, is fun and interesting to listen to.

I already have a couple of racing games, like Speed Circuit and Circus Maximus but I have to say that Formula D looks pretty good. Those little gear shifters are very cool indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Loved the funny opening...Title Card (1:42) has a typo...Forumla D

Hehahhah. If I only had a beta group to catch things like that.

(doh!)

(edit - all better...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review and all the hard work, Scott.

I understand why you're doing it but I still will miss the longer reviews. I think the shorter format works fine with a game like Formula D but I can't imagine how your going to review a game such as Le Havre in this new shorter format.

Again, I'm just being selfish :D but I do thank you for all you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, Scott. I really like the new format. I think you could still tone down the rules a little more and focus more on the components and pros/cons of the game, but I think you did a great job. Since you are tweaking the new format, I thought I would just through that out there. Once again, another great review, and I look forward to your next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D and Power G laugh

Great job as always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rupp
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Scott.

One question though. You mentioned that if you have Formula De you don't necessarily need this set. But if I don't have either and want to get only one if both are available which should I choose. t\Thanks for all you effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ruppt wrote:
Great review Scott.

One question though. You mentioned that if you have Formula De you don't necessarily need this set. But if I don't have either and want to get only one if both are availabe which should I choose. thanks for all you effort.

I'd get the new one, as it's an improvement over the old one, assuming they are similar in price. If you can get the older one for cheap, then you aren't missing much, in my opinion, other than chrome and a silly board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mestemaker
United States
Wheeling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to have hit an excellent balance on your first try, Scott. After watching, I feel like I have a good sense of what Forumula D is and how well I would enjoy it. Thanks, as always, for your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Scott! Good review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tapani Murto
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still miss the longer very detailed reviews but I missed you more - not in any queer way obviously.

To me it's most important to see you enjoying making BGWS again! Great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Moss
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
I think you found the perfect balance. Now the best thing would be if you could do even more BGWS now that they're shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Dramowicz
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, I like this format better than the old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a perfect length and gave a great idea on the game. I look forward to the new format and am very glad you are back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, did you post anywhere what your solution to your inexpensive switcher problem was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Scott, did you post anywhere what your solution to your inexpensive switcher problem was?

Yeah, somewhere I did.

Someone turned me onto an e-bay auction of an old switcher. It's from the 1980's, and I'm sure was high tech then, but it switches between 2 composite signals and also captures audio for me, so it solves several problems. It is what makes the video look a little crappier, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Welcome back!

BTW, have you ever done a review of Conquest of the Empire? I've been looking for a video on this game and can't find one...

Glad you're back in action!

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Yay! Welcome back!

BTW, have you ever done a review of Conquest of the Empire? I've been looking for a video on this game and can't find one...

Nope, wasn't much of my game. I played it, but don't own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time. Matchstickman. True, so very true.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, thanks for the great video and the effort. I'll be watching for more videos. I thought the length of the video was very good.

I recently bought this game and you showed me a thing or two I didn't know about it.

One question: you mentioned getting extra dice. Where at? They rarely come up on ebay and the last set went for about $23!

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DasViktor wrote:
Scott, thanks for the great video and the effort. I'll be watching for more videos. I thought the length of the video was very good.

I recently bought this game and you showed me a thing or two I didn't know about it.

One question: you mentioned getting extra dice. Where at? They rarely come up on ebay and the last set went for about $23!

Thanks again.

Umm, my old copy of Formula De? I had extra sets at that point. So, I guess they aren't as available any longer. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the dice will be available as a stand alone product again. Or, if they wanted some value add, they could put in more of the gear shift boxes, or perhaps some cars that didn't suck. (I don't care all that much for the cars included.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time. Matchstickman. True, so very true.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I bought the older game, Formula De' after reading about it in the book Hobby Games: The 100 Best, Edited by James Lowder. Printed 2007. ISBN-10: 1-932442-96-0. (For those of you who may want to buy a copy) I wasn't aware there was a re-print and was very excited to find a copy,

I like the older boards better and the original game has only Formula One racing. I don't care for the street racing theme as offered in the new Formula D. However, the stick shift consoles in the newer version are very cool. I hope Asmodee Games offer these for sale as a separate item.

Thanks again for the great video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott, as ever, well done.

Just one minor note, when downloading via iTunes, the file size is currently 451MB, which is surprisingly large compared to other episodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.