Subject: 20 Questions About PitchCar... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just recently purchased and received Pitch Car, Pitch Car Extension, Pitch Car Extension 2 and Pitch Car Extension 4 Stunt Race (along with Galaxy Trucker and Galaxy Trucker: The Big Expansion). I haven't posted a review here before and can't compete with the great reviews I have seen but will give my version. I have only played with my 8 year old son so haven't had a bunch of experiences yet. I had never played before and only new about it from what I learned on this site.

20 Questions about PitchCar:

Q1: Am I happy with the purchase?
A: Yes, but it was a chunk of change to drop all at once.

Q2: How is the quality?
A: The boxes seem pretty sturdy and should be able to withstand travel. The pieces are very sturdy and all seem to be the same thickness so no problems there.

Q3: Have I had problems with the rails popping?
A: Yep.

Q4: How bad is it with the rails popping?
A: It hasn't been a terrible nuisance yet. In fact we have played a few games that when the rails pop off they stay off for the rest of the race. More difficulty for those behind and next time around.

Q5: Second thoughts on not buying PitchCar-Mini?
A: Absolutely not! Couldn't be happier with the size. I was a bit worried it would be too sprawling but that is definately not the case. We built one of their larger designs and it only takes up 3.5 feet by 5.5 feet.

Q6: Problems leveling it?
A: Not really. We set it up on an old dining room table with multiple leafs. The leaves are far from flush with eachother but everything was fixed with a deck of cards.

Q7: How is the game play?
A: Like I said I have only played with my 8 year old son. It isn't the type of game I would expect to have out often but I will definately be taking it to family reunions and those type of gatherings. This might not make sense but it doesn't seem like an evening game with the family but definately an afternoon game that just about everyone plays. I MUST play this with all 8 cars going!

Q8: Is PitchCar Extension worth buying?
A: Pitch Car Extension is a must. The base game would get boring fast without it. It not only has the jump and the tunnel but also the the narrow straights and narrow curves that add a lot to the game.

Q9: How about Extension 2?
A: Extension 2 is worth having. The short turns come in handy and really open up quite a few possibilties for new layouts.

Q10: Stunt Race?
A: I am a completist so not buying Stunt Race was never an option. It is okay but the weakest of the Extensions. The styrofoam looks and does what styrofoam does. If it were wooden blocks it would be fantastic. The styrofoam doesn't really cause problems but it's lightweight is a bit noticeable (mostly while setting up) and it looks cheap.

Q11: Is the whole thing too cumbersome for travel?
A: I don't think so. The boxes were a bit smaller than I expected. I have them all stored in a small case (approx. 1' x 1' x 2') with a handle which makes them handier to haul.

Q12: What is worst thing in the box?
A: The awful plastic drawstring pouch for the cars. It has already been replaced by a cloth pouch.

Q13: How about shuffleboard powder?
A: I have tried the powder and my son likes it. We don't put it on the entire track but often down at a sharp curve without railings near the edge of the table.

Q14: Is the powder necessary?
A: Not at all. In fact, it is probably a drawback except for the fact that our household now has a "Deadman's Curve" and an "Ice Cliff".

Q15: What have I done to the game?
A: I tend to do things to my games to streamline them or to "improve" upon them. It is probably less improvement and more me "marking" my games. Ewww... gross. I bought a pack of the little colored circle stickers and color coded the undersides of the pieces and the inside of the boxes to quickly identify which game is which. Not neccessary but I like to have all my things to have it's place. My deck of leveling playing cards are checkered Indy 500 cards that make me smile when I use them.

Q16: Is it kid friendly?
A: Very much so. Kids will not be able to get the rails on at the start or once they start popping but they can easily connect the track and make layouts.

Q17: Complaints?
A: It seems overpriced by about 25%. That dang plastic drawstring pouch. The styrofoam risers in Extension 4. Rails pop.

Q18: Compliments?
A: Pieces are VERY sturdy and easy to connect. I can't stress how easy these connect while still functioning so well. Just about everything in all four boxes did what was expected. The ramps were smooth. The tunnel didn't collapse. The upper level didn't seem to sway. Bumping into the track didn't make them seperate.

Q19: Is PitchCar worth the price?
A: Probably. It is definately overpriced for what you get BUT you will enjoy what you get. I imagine once the initial shock of laying out this much cash I will be even happier with ownership.

Q20: Overall impressions?
A: The game rules and pieces are so simple it is almost genius. But this same simplicity makes the price tag even more glaring. I can see this being great in large gatherings whether it is a family reunion or drinks with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 20 Questions about Pitch Car
I really like this review format... well put & well done!

Now go let your 8 year old smoke you again!cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
I really like this review format... well put & well done!

I agree! I hope you'll post more reviews in this format. Informative, but not too wordy. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
"Deadman's Curve" and an "Ice Cliff"

This is pure awesomesauce.

The best part about having kids is the names you give to unexpected things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
The styrofoam doesn't really cause problems but it's lightweight is a bit noticeable (mostly while setting up) and it looks cheap.

Would it be better if they were sprayed black ?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really have to echo this. I just bought my base set about a month ago and I've never been happier with it. Right now, I'm working on buying the extension for the jumps and I'll get extension 2 eventually.

I would have to echo the Stunt Race comments witht he styrofoam. I'm not a big fan of that and I would have to work up some wood blocks to replace them. And really, if you're going to charge that much for that set, wouldn't you find some cheap wood to use for that instead of the styro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
The styrofoam doesn't really cause problems but it's lightweight is a bit noticeable (mostly while setting up) and it looks cheap.

Would it be better if they were sprayed black ?

N.

Even painting them purple would be better. It is clever that the styrofoam is cut precisely in two directions so the riser can be placed directly on the table or on a piece of track and still achieve the correct height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Q10: Stunt Race?
A: I am a completist so not buying Stunt Race was never an option. It is okay but the weakest of the Extensions. The styrofoam looks and does what styrofoam does. If it were wooden blocks it would be fantastic. The styrofoam doesn't really cause problems but it's lightweight is a bit noticeable (mostly while setting up) and it looks cheap.

Completionist yet no PitchCar Special Long Straights? They really add to the overall play with the long fast straights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was worried about the warping. Not that I haven't been up nights thinking about those long straights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Q5: Second thoughts on not buying Pitch Car-Mini?
A: Absolutely not! Couldn't be happier with the size. I was a bit worried it would be too sprawling but that is definately not the case. We built one of their larger designs and it only takes up 3.5 feet by 5.5 feet.

For me, the question is "Second thoughts on buying PitchCar Mini?" with the answer "Absolutely not! Couldn't be happier with the size. It's just as fun as the original."

Great review, btw. I really appreciate reviews that actually evaluate the game rather than just describing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitchcar is a hard game to review - this format covers what's required *perfectly*. It answers all the questions I had prior to buying: brilliant idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuzzle wrote:
Completionist yet no PitchCar Special Long Straights? They really add to the overall play with the long fast straights.

I blame you for making me get these straights. :angry: I had convinced myself that they were uneccessary. I was wrong. You were right.:p

They are nice to have since the number of straights in the other sets are scarce (especially if you want a longer straight away that gobbles them up). Price isn't too bad compared with other PitchCar products.

They cost me about $33 out of Canada. Considering they are the equivelent of 8 straights it is the best priced extension in the series.

I do have a warping issue that I am trying to work out. They are high on both ends. We'll see how they"recover".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.