Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In "Kill the Hippies," you play the part of a Fundamentalist Christian (Fundie) who is trying to kill or convert those long-haired freaky people. You do this through a combination of religious relics (items) and deeds (actions).

Most relics and deeds lack the power to kill or convert a hippie in one turn, so instead you have to plan your strategy to wound a hippie, but not enough so that another player can kill the hippie before your next turn. This is often impossible to plan for, and a definite negative in playing this game. However, if you are playing this game with any kind of strategy or a desire to win then you have missed the point.

The game is meant to be satire, and half the fun of the game is looking at the artwork on the cards and reading what they do. The cards are hilarious and feature funny quotes from such hippies as Kurt Vonnegut and Hunter S. Thompson. This humor might wear thin after a couple games, but it is the main joy in introducing the game to new players.

While the game is satire and intended to mock Christianity, people who really know their religion can put their knowledge to work to gain some crazy bonuses. Some cards can only be used by the pure, while others grant benefits to those who know the names of angels, can recite the Lord's prayer, etc.

The cards are very durable and have great artwork. My only complaint is that the hippie cards and deck cards have the same backing, causing them to occasionally get mixed up in the box.

The rules to this game are listed as ten commandments. This makes them hilarious to read when introducing the game, but sometimes difficult to understand on a first read. Once you get the hang of it, however, the game is quite easy.

This is a silly, filler card game at its purest. For those who appreciate satire and don't take their religion too seriously, this is a must buy. My one warning is that you should keep it away when the children are around, as some of the artwork and humor is very inappropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter E. Kurtz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

In an era that demands tolerance for all sorts of beliefs and lifestyles, this game seems remarkably intolerant.

I find it interesting that if an even a remotely denigrating word or reference is said about various races and various lifestyles, an uproar is started (e.g. "Puerto Rico), but a game like this can be published.

Frankly, I find it nauseating that such a game exists.

Full disclosure: I consider myself a Liberal Christian (***not fundamentalist***) raised by a hippie mother (and I vote primarily Democrat, but not exclusively).

Maybe we ought to add this game to list below: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31522/item/659908#item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterpoint: God bless this game and all who play it.

Quote:
"Ah hate hippies" - Cartman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Warren
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy - given all the drama concerning the treatment of Christians on BGG this game is practically a forum troll in and of itself.shake

While the game is in pretty poor taste, it's clearly labeled for mature audiences who are able to discern it's satirical nature - not to say they can't find it reprehensible nonetheless.

To throw some fuel on the "Christians-as-opressed" flame war, the reason (mostly Protestant) Christians in this country don't get as much sympathy or defense in "liberal" circles as other cultural groups is that, in the U.S., Britan, and Europe, Christianity has typically been the stated (if not official) religion of the groups in power. It's thus has been the status quo and the rationale for a lot of opression, discrimination etc. in the service of said maintaining said status quo.

By contrast, race-based slavery and other forms of racial oppression have a long (and continuing) history in the US, so people tend to be more wary when those show up as thematic elements. If Christians were an (even vaguely) oppressed group in the US, as they are in some other nations, more of that sympathy and protectiveness would flow their way.

But that's just a single byproduct of one of the things I love about the United States today - (by and large) freedom of speech is very well protected. People can say and publish whatever they want, and everyone else is equally free to say it is disgusting and sucks, resulting in a ultimately fruitless back and forth that is the internet flame war. Thus thousands of jobs are created for those maintaining the forums and blogs that serve as the medium for said flame wars, which helps to mitigate the giant productivity loss created by those participating in them. Beats the hell out of having actual wars over these topics .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To Mega Therion
United States
flag msg tools
No, no no no. No, no. No, sir. I don't know what kinda vibe you think you got off me but I don't play that way. I'm not that way!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd feel sympathy for xtians if every politician didn't feel required to talk about his xtianity when running for election, if xtians didn't force their morals on the rest of us, and if I could throw a frisbee without hitting 12 mega-churches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oppress a group of people just once! And they swear on their religious relics that it will never happen again! That they will always do the oppressing from then on! Christian, Jewish, Islam, blah blah blah and if things aren't just hunky dory then they must be gettin oppressed again. history of the world part I, II, and III

LATHER RINSE REPEAT LATHER RINSE REPEAT LATHER RINSE REPEAT LATHER RINSE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

LATHER RINSE REDUNDANT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So they want to save the environment and smoke pot - this is reason enough in our world to kill them? Losers they could be drinking beer and going to sporting events instead of getting all highed up and trying to make the world a safer better place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP in ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I didn't care about the topic: I just didn't think the game was very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The irony is, if you really compare the teachings and lifestyle of Jesus to "hippies" and "fundamentalist Christians", he's far more like the hippies than the fundies - there's not even room for debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To Mega Therion
United States
flag msg tools
No, no no no. No, no. No, sir. I don't know what kinda vibe you think you got off me but I don't play that way. I'm not that way!
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
The irony is, if you really compare the teachings and lifestyle of Jesus to "hippies" and "fundamentalist Christians", he's far more like the hippies than the fundies - there's not even room for debate.

No kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
-snip- there's not even room for debate.

*snort*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Pulis
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
iklinck wrote:

Leave it to a Blue Jay fan to knock one out of the park. The Satire is revealed.

Stay tuned for the sequal "Stone the Fundies"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Paradise
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems odd, but I actually met the creator of this game at Gen Con a couple of years back. Do you want to know what he did for a living? He was a pastor! Chalk that up to some irony!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Paradise wrote:
He was a pastor!

That would have been my first guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elegwen O\\\'Maoileoin
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey there,

just to clarify, I was never a pastor, as that term is usually applied to Protestant (especially Lutheran clergy).

I was a trained priest. I love reading all the comments on the KTH page, so thanks. I don't have much to say since it was all said in the box or on it. Note the quote from Zizek!

But I have to say, I have gotten a lot of emails condemning the strategy. So, reading this I am glad to see some people realized that was the last thing it was meant to be. It was made as a satirical and fun game to play after mass, getting drunk on communion wine with the Chosen few

Anyway, it's selling well over here where I live in Belfast, Ireland, so, thanks, keep talkin and keep thinkin! I would note a funny quote about satire but used them all up on the cards.

Slán go foille from Ireland

Elegwen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tehuti

At the risk of being banned from BGG forever for talking about religion and politics. (I unwittingly have a previous offense, made the mistake of not reading the rules before posting.)

In my defense I have to point out that your game is potentially exponentially more offensive than this post could potentially ever be, and that this post is neither about religion nor politics but about your fantasies.

Well, if they ban me and not this game, so be it.

I realize that you probably grew up as a Catholic in Belfast, and that you may have been a victim of political violence that was termed "Protestant vs Catholic". It is really sad. But I would like to point out that that conflict had nothing to do with religion, it had to do with racism and politics. What happened there was definitely not normal in any way and definitely not the standard to measure real Evangelical Christians against.

It is a pity that you choose to live in this fantasy land where Evangelical Christians are crazed killers. But I realize that living in an artificially constructed reality can be very comforting.

It exorcises your guilt by declaring others guilty.

It rationalizes your decision to reject Christ, without having to confront Christ personally.

It makes you feel fuzzy and loved all over, sorta like a ganja stick.

You know, like the traitor who kills all the good guys in The Matrix: Living in the Matrix sure beats facing reality.

Speaking of people making up their own reality, here is the worst example of self delusion I ever heard. Tavis Smiley was interviewing Hirsi-Ali about Islam and terrorism...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

Ayann Hirsi-Ali: Somehow this guy got in his mind that killing other people would be a great thing to do and he would be rewarded for it in the hereafter…

Smiley: But Christians do that every single day, in this country.

Ali: Do they blow people up…

Smiley: Yes, Christians, every day…people walk into post offices…people walk into post offices, they walk into schools, that’s what Columbine was. I mean, I could do this all day long. There are so many more examples of Christians — and I happen to be a Christian, that’s back to this notion of your idealizing Christianity in my mind, to my read — there are so many more examples, Ayaan, of Christians who do that than you could ever give me examples of Muslims who have done that inside this country in which you live and work.

Notice that he says he could point to examples of Christian terrorism all day yet in his incoherent ramble he can only mention one specific case and even that wasn't germane. There was no Christian religious component to what those kids did. I've heard idiots like Whoopi Goldberg point to Tim McVey but once again you can't find any overt Christian ideology in what he did. And to try and compare one or two cases here to excuse the thousands of Muslim atrocities committed worldwide strains credulity. Anyone who sincerely can't see that deserves to be institutionalized.

Communists (Those guys Slavoj Zizek idolizes, remember? Slavoj's a communist.) killed 100 000 000 people in the last century. That's ONE HUNDRED MILLION, dude. A third of the population of the USA. (Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, the wonderful Che Guevara and his puppet master Fidel, and a few others).

Why don't you make a game about that?

And please don't give me the "Its Satire, Dude!" line. The point of satire is to make a point.

My suggestion: Take the Red Pill. Start living in reality.

If you have the guts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiskander wrote:

You referenced the Matrix movie twice for philosophical weight. Classy. By the way disregarding Board Game Geek's Policy which you agreed to on this sort of behavior does not make you a martyr.

I also referenced Zizek. Now THAT is like, super classy. Dude.

I was hoping the game designer would answer - Why has he not made a game of the genocides perpetrated by his communist idols?

Edit: 08 August 2011

This thread has suddenly taken on new significance after a "christian fundamentalist" slaughtered Norwegian youths at a youth camp. I am sure the creator of this card game now feels vindicated for choosing to live in the Matrix.

Well, my friend, here is another red pill for you.

Unless you still can't handle reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this whole discussion is old and outdated, but I wanted to throw in my own few words. I mean really people...stop being offended by everything you don't agree with. You really need to sit down and watch every season of South Park and learn to laugh at yourself a little.

The satire is strong in this one, christian related or not.

bielie wrote:
Unless you still can't handle reality.

Who can? Why do you think people spend thousands of dollars trying to escape it every month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.