Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenni
United States
WI
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here goes my first session report.

I got to play Nottingham recently, and wasn't sure that I would like it. I had seen it on Tanga, and it seemed to be tossed around on BGG without much respect. Yeah, I am easily swayed.

But I am a fan of Bohnanza, Bean Trader, and Agricola. I love Uwe's card-driven games in general, so why wouldn't this one be enjoyable?

Three of us sat down to play a ten-year old friends kid, his older sister and me. They had both played, and liked it, so I thought that I ought to be able to get the hang of it.

Well, I immediately noticed that the components, though small, were of higher quality than I had expected. They were kindof cute.

So as we played the boy seemed obsessed with the higher value cards and with derailing other people's efforts to trade in sets of cards with ambushes. He never turned down a chance to do so.

The girl completed several medium-large sets, and by game's end, had gathered all but one of the special trade-in cards which gained high points.

I managed to complete all of those sets, and focused on smaller trade-ins for most of the game. I thought that if I didn't attract too much attention, that as a newb, I might get some grace.

I was right. But I also learned quickly that it helps to hold the ambush card which has your pawn color on it, which I gleaned early.

That meant that I couldn't be attacked randomly, which I appreciated. I don't like "screw your neighbor" mechanisms too much..

But this had just enough of that, mixed with set collection and nifty theming, with the sheriff moving through the forest adding nicely to the game.

I wasn't too focused on sidetracking my opponents, and when the dust settled I won. I don't remember the exact point totals, but I won by seven points, with the boy coming in distant last.

He threw a brief fit, and pouted for a few moments before recovering and wanting to play again.

That's really what it ought to be about. Games with kids, and teachable moments.

Thanks for reading!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying this game a lot. Uwe does some real magic with cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy this game, too, and are big fans of Bohnanza.

One note for you: The rules say, "The player may not keep an ambush card of his own colour."

Thought you might want to know that, before your next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.