Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indus is a game about discovering artifacts with a team of laborers, assistants, and professors.

Contents:

7 L-shaped and 7 square board tiles, plus 8 border pieces

64 player discs, in 4 colors

Professor (thickest), assistant, laborer

83 artifacts, with point values of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10

One d6

Instruction booklet

Object:

The object is to score the most points by collecting artifacts and capturing your opponents' tokens.

Set-up:

A square board tile is chosen, and four L-shaped tiles are fit around it so that all features that go to the edge of a tile, such as walls and pathways, are continued on the next tile. The border pieces make a frame which keeps everything together.

Each player takes the appropriate tokens in their color. For a 2-player game, each player has two colors. A laborer and an assistant of each color are placed on starting squares at the edge of the board.

How to Play:

On a turn, a player may add a token to the edge of the board in any empty spot, then rolls the die and chooses which token to move. If an assistant is on the board, the player may roll again and move an assistant. If a professor is on the board, the player may roll a third time and move a professor.

The board is a 6 x 6 grid. Pieces move forward in a straight line, as many squares as is indicated by the die. If a token already occupies that spot, the new arrival goes to the top of the stack. If a player gets two tokens onto the same square, they capture any other tokens, and have claimed that square.

Blue is on top of the stack, and will be counted towards the pathways

Green retaliates by adding a second person, and capturing the square

When all tokens are placed on the board, the points are counted. For buildings, all tokens on a square are counted. For other features, only the top token is counted. The player with the most tokens on a feature wins the artifact(s) shown. Opponents' tokens that have been captured are scored 1, 2, and 3 points for laborers, assistants, and professors, respectively.

Pros and Cons:

Beautiful and sturdy pieces. I'm usually wary of cardboard tokens, or pieces that must fit together, but the quality here is top-notch.

Fast set-up.

Great box insert.

An interesting movement dynamic. Having pieces move from all sides minimizes the "roll and move" feel.

Low AP potential. The game moves quickly.

Although seemingly daunting after reading the rules, the scoring was actually quick and painless.

Variable board.

High bait potential.

The only thing odd about the game was the stickers included to go on the tokens, but as they are optional, I'm only making it a half-star. You could throw them away and forget they ever existed. We played fine with the tokens the way they were, but 1/2/3 dots or stripes on the sides of the tokens would also work, if one was so inclined.

Conclusion:

This is a great game for us when we want something a little quicker and a little lighter, but still want great bits and a splash of strategy. I'm glad that we've added this to our collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this game on sale here for just 7 Euros (about 10 USD) and i took it with me, looking quite nice from the outside. Thanks for the review, i'm sure to give it a try now !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I'm glad you decided to review Indus after yesterday's session report. I love your review style--succinct and to the point. (I just can't get through those reviews with massive blocks of text.)

I hate to admit this because backgammon gets short shrift around the hallowed, geek-impregnated halls of the BGG, but Indus reminds me of back(and-that's-a-good-thing)gammon with an interesting scoring system attached. A fun, lite game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, quick review. I'll probably have to pick this one up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wheeler
United States
Mobridge
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Forget the breadsticks.
badge
And pile on the sweet German ink.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
The only thing odd about the game was the stickers included to go on the tokens, but as they are optional, I'm only making it a half-star. You could throw them away and forget they ever existed. We played fine with the tokens the way they were, but 1/2/3 dots or stripes on the sides of the tokens would also work, if one was so inclined.

What exactly didn't you like about the stickers? Was it the artwork?

The hairy ape assistant dudes are one of the things that endeared me to the game. For me, not using those decals would be like removing the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz.

It's very nice to see this underappreciated game get a nice review. You've highlighted many of its attributes and shown just how quick it is to explain! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wheeler
United States
Mobridge
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Forget the breadsticks.
badge
And pile on the sweet German ink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah! And then there's Do-Rag Guy, Indy, and The Sandman!

I was just looking over the stickers to jar my memory and I had forgotten how much the character art rules!

So, what was it you didn't like again Indigo? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork, it didn't really fit in with the rest of it for me, and I don't like when stickers peel up, and I didn't have faith that they'd stick very well. I'd rather have clean wooden tokens that half-and-half stickered ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean when you say bait? The only thing I can think of is trade bait. I think you might be referring to being able to bait people into playing, but I've never heard it used that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you might be referring to being able to bait people into playing

Yes, this. The nice board and fun shaped cardboard bits have a bit of appeal, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Quote:
I think you might be referring to being able to bait people into playing

Yes, this. The nice board and fun shaped cardboard bits have a bit of appeal, I think.

Ahhh, I usually refer to that as drawing potential, but I understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.