$10.00
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd re-post here under the Rules forum...

RobM wrote:

Western United States:
Building track: Railroads must start at Eastern or Western cities. Building across swamp hexes costs $4. Until one of the Western cities and one of the Eastern cities connect, all of a railroad’s track must be contiguous. The first time E and W are connected, a transcontinental railroad exists and it receives an immediate $4 bonus in income level. If the two cities are connected by 2 railroads, each receives $2. If the two cities are connected by more than 2 railroads, the player placing the connecting tile chooses which two railroads each receive $2.

What does this mean (the bit in bold & italics)???

The way I read it is that when players start building tracks, their own tracks must continue in a straight line (no branching) until there is a direction connection from East to West (either by a single player or more than one).

Once that happens, then players can branch off or set up new tracks as they wish.

Is that correct? I am playing this one tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contiguous
adj. 1. Connecting without a break

The rules say that players must start their tracks in one of the starting cities. Until the western cities meet the eastern cities, each of a players' track links must be connected.

In other words, you can't start building from LA eastward, then on a later turn start a new section of track in Seattle; not until east meets west.

Branching is ok, as long as the branches can all be traced back to your starting city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
rockusultimus wrote:
The rules say that players must start their tracks in one of the starting cities. Until the western cities meet the eastern cities, each of a players' track links must be connected.

In other words, you can't start building from LA eastward, then on a later turn start a new section of track in Seattle; not until east meets west.

Branching is ok, as long as the branches can all be traced back to your starting city.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see - that;s clear to me now. You may build wherever you want as long as all tracks are connected to one source; which is either an East or West starting city. Thereafter elsewhere is ok.

Thanks,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Ah, I see - that;s clear to me now. You may build wherever you want as long as all tracks are connected to one source; which is either an East or West starting city. Thereafter elsewhere is ok.

All your tracks are connected to one source using only your tracks, to be clearer. This is presumably to stop people leapfrogging to build the last bit of intercontinental connecting track without having built any of the rest of it.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
> edited into its own thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.