$10.00
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
manowarplayer wrote:
I find Artscow to be extremely lame as a website.

Trying to find Jack Reda's expansions for Pandemic (Threat Level 6 and End Days) through their search engine yielded no results. I did find another language version of TL6, but nothing directly linking to his. (I'm also wondering if that was a rip-off of Jack's work.)

I ended up having to go to the Pandemic game entry, search for the individual threads and find the Artscow links, cut and paste them into my browser already logged into the site and then go to enter the code only to find out that it's expired.

This is the 3rd time I've tried to order these cards with similar experiences each time.

Lame.

In their defense, keep in mind that ArtCow is a service for people putting their own pictures on a bunch of stuff so they can give it to grandma or directly share with friends, not for people blindly searching for stuff created by someone else. It just so happens that we creative BGG'ers have discovered a good "out of the box" use for their service.

So, put more stock in links and lists (and search engine) here on BGG, and don't blame ArtsCow for not doing something they are not really set up to do.

But to your point, yeah, it would be nice to have.

Point taken.

However, a search for "Pandemic", "Threat Level 6", "End Days", "Pandemic Cards" "Pandemic Expansion" and a few other searches yielded absolutely nothing yet the direct links supplied here turn up those items with some of those terms in the title.

If you can't search an item by the title there, what's the point of a search function?

You COULD search "Playing cards" and have some other game expansions show up in the (only!) 8 pages of results (RRT's "Map of Mexico" Railroad Cards for one), yet neither of Jack's expansions showed up in that search either - which is downright retarded.

I understand that we are using the site for a function slightly out of their original intention, but if I was searching for some cards my daughter made of a family reunion (for example), I think it would be just as difficult to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
manowarplayer wrote:
I find Artscow to be extremely lame as a website.

Trying to find Jack Reda's expansions for Pandemic (Threat Level 6 and End Days) through their search engine yielded no results. I did find another language version of TL6, but nothing directly linking to his. (I'm also wondering if that was a rip-off of Jack's work.)

I ended up having to go to the Pandemic game entry, search for the individual threads and find the Artscow links, cut and paste them into my browser already logged into the site and then go to enter the code only to find out that it's expired.

This is the 3rd time I've tried to order these cards with similar experiences each time.

Lame.

In their defense, keep in mind that ArtCow is a service for people putting their own pictures on a bunch of stuff so they can give it to grandma or directly share with friends, not for people blindly searching for stuff created by someone else. It just so happens that we creative BGG'ers have discovered a good "out of the box" use for their service.

So, put more stock in links and lists (and search engine) here on BGG, and don't blame ArtsCow for not doing something they are not really set up to do.

But to your point, yeah, it would be nice to have.

Point taken.

However, a search for "Pandemic", "Threat Level 6", "End Days", "Pandemic Cards" "Pandemic Expansion" and a few other searches yielded absolutely nothing yet the direct links supplied here turn up those items with some of those terms in the title.

If you can't search an item by the title there, what's the point of a search function?

You COULD search "Playing cards" and have some other game expansions show up in the (only!) 8 pages of results (RRT's "Map of Mexico" Railroad Cards for one), yet neither of Jack's expansions showed up in that search either - which is downright retarded.

I understand that we are using the site for a function slightly out of their original intention, but if I was searching for some cards my daughter made of a family reunion (for example), I think it would be just as difficult to find them.

I'm with you on this one. I'm still not sure I even understand how to search their site for anything. Very cool service, but a mess of a website.

To add to my own confusion, some folks here have posted links to albums of their pnp games while others have posted actual shared decks. I'm still not clear how you take the photos from someone else's album and use those pictures to create your own deck of cards, although I'm sure there are directions buried on the geek somewhere. I've at least found some links here that took me to actual shared decks to take advantage of one of their recent specials (e.g. the RRT Mexico deck).

But yeah, I agree that the search function of theirs is hardly helpful, and I'd go a step further and say that the way the whole thing works could use some help as well.

Maybe they'll get there.

ymmv,
jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Point taken.

I'm fairly certain when you upload something you have to check a box to allow it to be found via search. And this box may not have been there in the beginning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Even with the code discount, $28 for 3 decks of custom cards is still pricey. I'll have to wait for another $3.99 - $5.99 deal I think.

IIRC, there wasn't much of a price difference between $9 decks with free shipping and $5 decks with paying for shipping. Keep an eye out for extra special specials though and you might get lucky. Plus people give/trade away redemption codes all the time. ArtsCow even has a bulletin board of sorts just for that. It's an odd company.
spearjr wrote:
I'm fairly certain when you upload something you have to check a box to allow it to be found via search. And this box may not have been there in the beginning

You are correct. There's a check box at the bottom of the page to allow editing (similar to a Geeklist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've got a question regarding the round cards:

Today I created a deck of round cards ..

I used:

create - cards & stationary - create now - custom playing cards 54 (round)

In the editor I dropped an image on every card and the back-image on the backside placeholder at the bottom right.

Problem: Now in the preview each card shows up with it's image on the front AND on the backside:
(http://www.artscow.com/share/round-schleichfahrt-schleichfah...)

Creative ideas anyone how to solve this?

Best regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The preview function isn't always accurate. If you've double-checked to make sure that the back image is in the right place in the editor, the decks should turn out all right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also had similar problems with the placeholder view. I think it's an artifact of the software. I've never had actual problems with my orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okey dokey .. let's hope for the best then

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt

Bellevue
Washington
msg tools
mb
Did I see somewhere that there was a current artscow coupon for printing cards? I thought I had one yesterday after reading this thread and when I went to check out I realized I must have closed the window with the coupon code...if it was ever even there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookmark this page:
http://www.artscow.com/promote/fcfs.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt

Bellevue
Washington
msg tools
mb
Wulf Corbett wrote:

Excellent - thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Wadrop
Australia
Largs North
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artscow new coupon
Hi

New Artscow coupon for decks for $4.99* including free international shipping.

Coupon Code: NEWPLCARDS
Expiry Date: 09/21/2010

*for initial set. Can be used on both single and 54 designs. Each set thereafter at $6.99/each.

Terms and Conditions

1.Only one coupon code can be redeemed per household.
2.ArtsCow has the right to terminate this promotion at any given time without prior notice.
3.In case of dispute, ArtsCow's decision is final.

Get on board!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need to order everything at once (one order) or can you order one, then another at 6.99, then another at 6.99, (separate orders) etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myszak wrote:
spearjr wrote:
As mention in several places, it is a very good idea to zoom out several times to make sure you have sufficient border.

Unfortunatelly, even the zoomed pictures in their online designer looked awesome, but the printed cards do not.
Never mind, it was my first own experience, worth the action price I'll give it more "gray area" next time.

After about two dozen decks of trial and error I have a pretty good system for getting cards printed at about 100%.

First off, I have a ton of old designs all done at 3.5 x 2.5 inches with a .125" bleed, so the files I use are all 3.75" x 2.75" at 300 dpi.

Once I place the card images, I select each one (there's no way to do multiples that I have found). Then in the controls I click RESET. This zooms the image out slightly to an unknown percentage (90-something). I then zoom in TWICE. The result is almost exactly 100% scale.

This was critical in a recent PnP game I released where cards had to be placed edge to edge. The spaces at the edges of the cards had to line up just right in order to work.

Note: Sorry if this was already covered, I haven't been through all 5 pages of posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancyr wrote:
Do you need to order everything at once (one order) or can you order one, then another at 6.99, then another at 6.99, (separate orders) etc?

It's only one coupon per household, so you have to have the full order ready at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of the proper card sleeves for Artscow decks? They're too wide for both my Mayday and FFG sleeves (standard American).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
Does anyone know of the proper card sleeves for Artscow decks? They're too wide for both my Mayday and FFG sleeves (standard American).

They fit in FFG's Standard Sleeves (the grey ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

SiskNY wrote:
First off, I have a ton of old designs all done at 3.5 x 2.5 inches with a .125" bleed, so the files I use are all 3.75" x 2.75" at 300 dpi.

ähm... should the resulting sizes not be 3.625" and 2.625"?

Or shall I create files in 3.75" x 2.75" size including a .125" bleed area to use the rest of the file for the area I wanted to be on the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again,

I created an image with the size of 2.75" x 3.75". The black area inside the image is 2.5" x 3.5". If I upload the image on artscow and use it in an album it look like the following if I reset the image after droping it

If I click zoom in twice it looks like this one

My questions are:

1. Which size of image is right?
2. What will be printed if I order a deck (all but the bleed)?
3. Is it enough to create an image which fits the inner area or shall I create an image with a bleed area? Or asked the other way: Will the bleed area not printed, partially printed or full printed or depends it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again,

d0gb0t wrote:
ähm... should the resulting sizes not be 3.625" and 2.625"?

oh my... please don't answer! Now I get it! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I agree. However, just google images: artscow Jack Reda. Then pick from any of the pics and you'll probably end up on the page you need. It worked for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Me again,

I created an image with the size of 2.75" x 3.75". The black area inside the image is 2.5" x 3.5". If I upload the image on artscow and use it in an album it look like the following if I reset the image after droping it

If I click zoom in twice it looks like this one

My questions are:

1. Which size of image is right?
2. What will be printed if I order a deck (all but the bleed)?
3. Is it enough to create an image which fits the inner area or shall I create an image with a bleed area? Or asked the other way: Will the bleed area not printed, partially printed or full printed or depends it?

This is a bit old, but I wondered with the grey frame was for, exactly, and asked ArtsCow for help. They were quite quick to give me a detailed answer.

1) The card is cut within the grey frame. They cannot guarantee exactly where the cut will be so they recommend to cover it completely.

2) You can set the background color. e.g. to match the frame of your cards.

So, if you want to make a set with a frame around each card you run the risk that the frame will not be exactly identically shaped on all cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK; it wasn't necessarily all that simple.
Here's a screenshot of the editing process:

To set the background colour, click the small pallette highlighted in the picture, then click on the proper colour.There's also a Background button top right (not shown), but it sets the same background for all cards and I couldn't get it to work right. This method works. You have to do it for every card, but the upside to that is that you can choose different colours for different cards.

For the newbies:
After this, his Reset or Fit on every card (use the same for consistency), then zoom in or out until you get the fit you want. It's tedious. Go slow. Sometimes, when you click on a card and the mouse slips a bit, it is interpreted as a move, not a selection, and the previous card will still be selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, color me confused! Here's my issue. I have a series of images I'd like to make into cards. OK, fine. When I try to upload them to Artscow, I get a warning icon above the cards saying that DPI=147 not good for printing. OK...now what? Is there some way to increase the resolution or make my image clearer? Arg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
OK, color me confused! Here's my issue. I have a series of images I'd like to make into cards. OK, fine. When I try to upload them to Artscow, I get a warning icon above the cards saying that DPI=147 not good for printing. OK...now what? Is there some way to increase the resolution or make my image clearer? Arg!

Yes, change the resolution to 300 dpi. That's the standard minimum for decent quality on a lot of graphic projects. Not sure how good it will look to upgrade the resolution, though... ideally, you'd start with 300 dpi to begin with. But try that, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.