$10.00
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DPI (or Dots Per Inch) is, in essence, a count of how well your image will display on a printed page. Most web site images are set to 72 dpi, the most your monitor can display. However, if you've ever tried to print out a web page graphic you've seen how they usually don't look very clear. They're pixelated, or 'blocky'.

The soft minimum standard for clear images on a standard home printer 200 dpi. Larger images (photographs, etc) will be printed at a minimum of 300 dpi. Some banners my company has worked with have been made at 600 dpi.

Here's the catch, though: if your image was originally created at 147 dpi there is no way that I know of to increase the dpi setting so it will print out clearly. (You can't open the image in Photoshop, go to Image Size and change the 147 dpi to 200 dpi and have the image print out well. It will still look as it did at 147 dpi because that's all the dpi data the image had to start with)

Hope this helps.


-- Tom

jmw23 wrote:
OK, color me confused! Here's my issue. I have a series of images I'd like to make into cards. OK, fine. When I try to upload them to Artscow, I get a warning icon above the cards saying that DPI=147 not good for printing. OK...now what? Is there some way to increase the resolution or make my image clearer? Arg!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
OK, color me confused! Here's my issue. I have a series of images I'd like to make into cards. OK, fine. When I try to upload them to Artscow, I get a warning icon above the cards saying that DPI=147 not good for printing. OK...now what? Is there some way to increase the resolution or make my image clearer? Arg!


Yes.

Usually the quickest and also easiest way is to load it into a photo editing program and zoom out until your happy with the size and hit printscreen and paste. Now the new pasted image is scaled without warping and you know what you're getting by site.

*zooming out of a poor quality pictures will show you its imperfections.
**I'd suggest finding a better source.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just verifying what I said there.

One more step.

Create a new doc with the 300dpi in order to past the image into. It doesn't improve the quality but it cheats it into the size you need and at least you see what it looks like.


 
72dpi

 
300dpi
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make fun if you will, but I'm not sure how to do any of that on the free version of photoshop! I don't see any option to enlarge or expand the pictures I have. Any thoughts on how to do that?

Alternatively, I'll offer a bounty of 100 Geek Gold if someone just wants to help me with this project. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that warning all the time and have yet to have a bad result. If you like the way it looks as a full sized card on your computer you will like it for real,
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very good to know, thank you! I think I may just throw caution to the wind and try it out!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) can resize images using various algorithms. It might be worth a shot to use that to increase the image size, but of course you can't add info that isn't there already.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard (but haven't had a reason to try it out) that if increasing the size in Photoshop, do it in 10% increments rather than all at once. Supposedly this allows the algorithms to more easily smooth the transition to better DPI without as much loss of clarity. As I said, I never tried it but this is what the teacher of the graphic design course I took said.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
increasing the size... in 10% increments rather than all at once


I was skeptical, so I just tried it in Gimp. I suppose it depends on your goal, but the multiple passes approach made for a MUCH softer (read: blurry) result. Probably not what you want, especially if there's text involved.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
manyslayer wrote:
increasing the size... in 10% increments rather than all at once


I was skeptical, so I just tried it in Gimp. I suppose it depends on your goal, but the multiple passes approach made for a MUCH softer (read: blurry) result. Probably not what you want, especially if there's text involved.


I had written out a lengthier explanation, but this is the basic fact of it - every time you perform most scaling operations, you do a little damage to the faithfulness to the original image. The more scaling operations you do, the more damage you do. With something like a game card, where text and fine detail can be important, this is undesirable.


Different scaling algorithms will have different effects, and with the better ones you may not easily be able to tell the difference, but you'll be losing fidelity nonetheless.

Some people like 'stair interpolation', as it's called, because it can make the image look a bit more contrasty and 'sharp', at least with Photoshop's default 'smart resize'. But really, if that's what you want you could also just apply a contrast and a 'sharpen' filter after you've scaled. All the talk of 'making it easier for the scaling algorithm' is just superstition, unfortunately. Think of it this way - if doing your scale in 10% increments was just better, then Adobe would have coded Photoshop to do that all the time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
JavaJack wrote:
manyslayer wrote:
increasing the size... in 10% increments rather than all at once


I was skeptical, so I just tried it in Gimp. I suppose it depends on your goal, but the multiple passes approach made for a MUCH softer (read: blurry) result. Probably not what you want, especially if there's text involved.


I had written out a lengthier explanation, but this is the basic fact of it - every time you perform most scaling operations, you do a little damage to the faithfulness to the original image. The more scaling operations you do, the more damage you do. With something like a game card, where text and fine detail can be important, this is undesirable.


Different scaling algorithms will have different effects, and with the better ones you may not easily be able to tell the difference, but you'll be losing fidelity nonetheless.

Some people like 'stair interpolation', as it's called, because it can make the image look a bit more contrasty and 'sharp', at least with Photoshop's default 'smart resize'. But really, if that's what you want you could also just apply a contrast and a 'sharpen' filter after you've scaled. All the talk of 'making it easier for the scaling algorithm' is just superstition, unfortunately. Think of it this way - if doing your scale in 10% increments was just better, then Adobe would have coded Photoshop to do that all the time.


Now try my approach with just zooming out and hitting printscreen, pasting the larger image into a new image with the desired dpi.

I haven't seen a 'resize' option do it better than that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I get that warning all the time and have yet to have a bad result.


+1
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
Now try my approach with just zooming out and hitting printscreen, pasting the larger image into a new image with the desired dpi.

I haven't seen a 'resize' option do it better than that.


Resize options are definitely better. Resize algorithms are precise mathematical procedures, working with the bit values, interpolating etc, calculationally intense. Zooming is just a quick and dirty scaling option, far less precise.

If you're not seeing a difference, you're probably just working with too small an image to see it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I have three different decks I want to put into one order. Each deck has about 12 cards, so one 54 deck will easily take care of it. However, according to the Artscow editor, I can only choose one back for all 54 cards.

Seeing as how I'm making cards for three different games- Chinatown, Battlestar, and Shadowhunters - having all the cards share a common back doesn't really do me any good.

How do I assign different backs to each card?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
you choose the multi rectangle deck option, not the playing card one. it lets you assign 54 fronts and 54 backs
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
you choose the multi rectangle deck option, not the playing card one. it lets you assign 54 fronts and 54 backs


i'm not seeing that option. any chance you could provide a link? i'm definitely still getting used to navigating their website.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/card/multi-purpose-cards-...

3rd choice on the cards & stationery page under 'create your own stuff'
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome! thank you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:
you choose the multi rectangle deck option, not the playing card one. it lets you assign 54 fronts and 54 backs


i'm not seeing that option. any chance you could provide a link? i'm definitely still getting used to navigating their website.

Good luck, it's not the most intuitive. Be sure to check for their sales and coupons before ordering. They have some pretty fantastic offers but you have to look for them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Made a deck and received earlier in the week and they came out perfect. However, when viewed in the gallery for others to view/purchase they look like crap (text) as seen here: http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/fury-of-dracula-hunter-e.... Can anyone offer an explanation to this or advice?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry if someone's already asked this but (for a standard deck) do any customs charges apply for shipping to the U.K. (specifically England)? How much approx were you charged?

The reason I ask is I had an expansion shipped from the U.S. and the customs charge was horrific. More than the shipping and almost as much as the expansion!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from outside the EU that costs £15 or more (including postage) can be charged a 'handling fee' (which used to be £8, I think it still is) plus VAT on that total - cost of goods, plus postage, plus handling fee.

Considering the price of postage, that means virtually anything...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
BoredGameGiik wrote:
I'm sorry if someone's already asked this but (for a standard deck) do any customs charges apply for shipping to the U.K. (specifically England)? How much approx were you charged?


Personally I've never had customs fees levied for anything from Artscow.

Strictly speaking, I believe that the official answer is that:

- Boardgames and I think card games are import duty exempt, so you shouldn't have to pay any import duty. Most goods will be charged import duty at - IIRC - 6.5% in general.

- You will still have to pay VAT at 20% on any imported goods.

- Customs will waive all fees, duties, levies etc. on anything with a declared value less than £18 (merchandise) or £28 (gifts), and those packages will come through without extra charge, largely because it's not worth their time to collect the duty.

- The £18 value is supposed to be against the value of the item itself excluding shipping, but if you are stung for duty/VAT then the charge for VAT at least is calculated on the combined price including shipping. Some retailers annoyingly don't quote shipping separately when declaring the value of the packet, but IIRC Artscow were pretty good at this.

- If you get charged anything at all, however, then the biggest cost by far is likely to be the arbitrary fee slapped on the top from the postal service/courier that brings the package through customs on your behalf.
They have to stump up the import duty/VAT at that point on your behalf (effectively lending you the money) and then recoup it later by holding your package hostage until you pay up... and they take this as free license to extort about £20 on average out of you for the service. (DHL are the best about this, in my experience, as they tend to charge only a couple of quid to individuals.) I've had situations where this arbitrary 'handling fee' doubled the effective cost of the item I'd bought!



This is all from memory, so look it up on the HMRC website if you want to be sure. It's all there... somewhere!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's £15 now, not £18 - that changed back in November. I think the 'gift' value went down too, but I don't know what it is now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I got ruthlessly arse badgered by customs for ordering the A Touch Of Evil card expansions from Flying Frog, but I've never had a problem with Artscow... Yet. And that includes ordering seven decks at once for Fantasy Quest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.