$10.00
Ricky Bayu
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello, i'm new to this artscow thing and would like to try doing some decks of card games. my question is is the finish printed-card laminated? if not will it smear when accidentally got water poured or by sweaty hands? how thick is the card?

also the finish product will be rounded-cut on each corner?

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
rbayu2 wrote:
is the finish printed-card laminated? if not will it smear when accidentally got water poured or by sweaty hands? how thick is the card?

I don't think they're laminated per se. Possibly coated somehow. Either way, you shouldn't have a problem with the ink smearing or running.

rbayu2 wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbayu2 wrote:
hello, i'm new to this artscow thing and would like to try doing some decks of card games. my question is is the finish printed-card laminated? if not will it smear when accidentally got water poured or by sweaty hands? how thick is the card?

thanks...

I've been ordering decks from them for a couple years now - the cards look like those that would come in any typical board game. The weight and quality is what you'd normally expect, no smudging or anything like that. I wouldn't call them "laminated" but yes, they are "sealed" and slightly glossy for protection, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
tivowatcher wrote:
rbayu2 wrote:

thanks...

I've been ordering decks from them for a couple years now - the cards look like those that would come in any typical board game. The weight and quality is what you'd normally expect, no smudging or anything like that. I wouldn't call them "laminated" but yes, they are "sealed" and slightly glossy for protection, if that makes sense.

The only disadvantage I see with Artscow cards is that they feel a little thinner or flimsier than typical playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been covered before, couldn't find an answer.

I'm seeing comments I don't understand about the need for zooming in on images or something to get proper borders.

My question: if I click these links and hit add to cart, do I get messed up cards? Basically, are they good to go?

http://www.artscow.com/share/0lxoggidf2ij
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/pxbpdss9q8ic

Also, while I've got your ear... what's up with this awesome looking Scripts and Scribes gallery? It looks like it's for 4x6 prints, not cards, right? What good is that?

http://www.artscow.com/Member/FileManager.aspx?folder=733938...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea how wide the bleed area is? I was going to put borders on but it isn't clear how wide I should make them, especially when it comes to curved corners. It seems as if removing the border altogether will be an easier option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Any idea how wide the bleed area is? I was going to put borders on but it isn't clear how wide I should make them, especially when it comes to curved corners. It seems as if removing the border altogether will be an easier option.
I don't know how wide it is in terms of pixels or mm, but if you load a card up to Artscow, and adjust the image size, the image should all fit into the completely clear area, but the border should fill the shaded area around it.

Now, you can make the image one zoom step bigger, and it will probably be fine, but I have created some cards where the image was too big (despite only being marginally into the grey area onscreen), and right on the card edge, and I've created some where the black border had rounded corners, and slivers of white were visible on some cards.

Artscow printing is not incredibly precise - allow generous margins for error (literally...) remember, so long as the image is big enough, it doesn't matter if the border is way too big, you just zoom the image until it fills the clear area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
My question: if I click these links and hit add to cart, do I get messed up cards? Basically, are they good to go?

http://www.artscow.com/share/0lxoggidf2ij
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/pxbpdss9q8ic
Those have been set up by the person who submitted them to ArtsCow, and should look exactly as you see them when printed. I don't know these cards & can't say if that slightly uneven black edge is intentional.
Quote:
Also, while I've got your ear... what's up with this awesome looking Scripts and Scribes gallery? It looks like it's for 4x6 prints, not cards, right? What good is that?

http://www.artscow.com/Member/FileManager.aspx?folder=733938...
ArtsCow, by default, assumes you want photographic prints. You have to create cards by creating a new product, uploading the files, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellas!

I'm working on a deck of mini cards and inches are a mystery to me.
I've made my cards 41mm x 63mm which is -if I believe this mayday sleeve pack I have right in front of me- 1 5/8" x 2 1/2".

Now, Artscow tells me their mini cards are sized 2" x 2.5"

Which is, converted, equal to 5.08cm x 6.35cm. But that's hardly a card, is it? Here is a 2" x 2.5x rectangle ;

Can anyone explain me what am I missing here? I'm terrible at math by the way

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you got the conversion right. the cards you are designing have sides in the 2:3 ratio; those Artscow ones are 4:5, which is why they look a little odd. I would think that 2:3 would be more "normal"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
you got the conversion right. the cards you are designing have sides in the 2:3 ratio; those Artscow ones are 4:5, which is why they look a little odd. I would think that 2:3 would be more "normal"

Thanks, that's a weird ratio! The picture on the website doesn't even look like it has a 4:5 ratio..

Is there any other website that offer a 2:3 ratio mini card printing service?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3:2 is 1.67, 5:4 is 1.25. Hm.
Superior POD has "Mini Size" cards here:
http://www.superiorpod.com/product/mini-size-custom-card-dec...

They are 2.5" x 1.75" or an aspect ratio of 1.43, so it's closer but still not quite there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
3:2 is 1.67, 5:4 is 1.25. Hm.
Superior POD has "Mini Size" cards here:
http://www.superiorpod.com/product/mini-size-custom-card-dec...

They are 2.5" x 1.75" or an aspect ratio of 1.43, so it's closer but still not quite there.

Nice! Thanks. I would have to adjust from 4.1 cm width, to 4.4 cm, it's a bit of work but doable.

Impossible to sleeve them though..

Are there other POD websites you would recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not recommend Superior POD. I would read up on people's experiences with them.

People have had the best luck with Printer's Studio (www.printerstudio.com). I have only used them and had a very good experience. I recommend them. Unfortunately, they do not have mini cards.

Hopefully someone else will add something more useful for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:

You and your needlessly complex system of multiplying by 10! It's really quite simple, 32 fractions make an inch. 12 inches make a foot. 3 feet make a yard. 220 yards make a furlong. 1760 yards (or 8 furlongs) make a mile. 3.5 miles make a league.

How hard is that...? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robrob wrote:
Shoogoo wrote:

You and your needlessly complex system of multiplying by 10! It's really quite simple, 32 fractions make an inch. 12 inches make a foot. 3 feet make a yard. 220 yards make a furlong. 1760 yards (or 8 furlongs) make a mile. 3.5 miles make a league.

How hard is that...? whistle

Don't forget the barleycorn (3 to an inch). Possibly the best name for a unit of measurement ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
Don't forget the barleycorn (3 to an inch). Possibly the best name for a unit of measurement ever.

A barleycorn is a very handy thing to have. I always carry one or two in my pocket.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sometimes I think the Metric System was your way of punishing us for the rebellion. But at least we can still talk feet and yards with Liberia and Burma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
badge
Google 'NinjaDorg Fantasy Quest'
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
FWIW I got ruthlessly arse badgered by customs for ordering the A Touch Of Evil card expansions from Flying Frog, but I've never had a problem with Artscow... Yet. And that includes ordering seven decks at once for Fantasy Quest.

Since posting this I've completely converted from artscow to the far superior Printer Studio - a comparative discussion can be found here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/839876
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Author: Wulf Corbett
Go to 'My Saved Designs' - one of the options under each deck is 'Share With Friends'. You can either email someone from that page, or copy the Share Link. Here's my Commodore deck (with some extra cards as filler):

http://www.artscow.com/share/wq3rz1znczhv

Just 'Add To Cart' and you have yourself a deck. Unfortunately, it does credit me with the deck, it's not mine, I only arranged the images!

This doesn't work for me. For example my shared decks all have the fronts split from the backs and then pasted to both sides of the card like so:

Before I contact ArtsCow any idea why this is and how I can share them properly? I assume I am doing something different in the Silverlight card-creator perhaps. Or is this just a visual bug as it looks fine in the editor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens to me as well with my designs. I suspect it is a visual bug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vaz
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
idmonfish wrote:
Hanno wrote:
You forgot one thing:

13) In case you use copyrighted material, better ask for permission, otherwise the copyright holder might get you into severe trouble.

Good point Hanno. Furthermore, it would break ArtCows terms & conditions.so they would be in their rights to not fulfill your order. Personally I think this is best used for rethemes, print & play games, and prototyping. Using it to make an exact copy of an in-print game is definitely a no-go. A grey area would be a copy of an out of print game, though I would tend to go for a retheme myself.

I'm a little lost on the grey area of this. Is it okay to use artscow or a similar printer if I'm using copyrighted material to a certain degree? For example, if I create my own custom superhero deck for Sentinels of the Multiverse, would it be okay if I used an exact template of their cards but with my own art? And could I use their logo anywhere on the cards?

Thanks a lot guys and gals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TorpedoJones wrote:
idmonfish wrote:
Hanno wrote:
You forgot one thing:

13) In case you use copyrighted material, better ask for permission, otherwise the copyright holder might get you into severe trouble.

Good point Hanno. Furthermore, it would break ArtCows terms & conditions.so they would be in their rights to not fulfill your order. Personally I think this is best used for rethemes, print & play games, and prototyping. Using it to make an exact copy of an in-print game is definitely a no-go. A grey area would be a copy of an out of print game, though I would tend to go for a retheme myself.

I'm a little lost on the grey area of this. Is it okay to use artscow or a similar printer if I'm using copyrighted material to a certain degree? For example, if I create my own custom superhero deck for Sentinels of the Multiverse, would it be okay if I used an exact template of their cards but with my own art? And could I use their logo anywhere on the cards?

Using copyrighted artwork and trademarked names on your own cards is, strictly speaking, against the law. ArtsCow, being located in China, has about as much respect as you'd expect for international copyright law, and based on their prices you can make a good guess as to whether they have someone looking over each order for potential intellectual property infringement prior to taking your money. Why, an enterprising individual could even use them to print up very high quality proxies of ridiculously expensive Magic cards for just a few pennies, but that would be wrong and could harm kindly old middlemen and resellers, so you shouldn't even contemplate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TorpedoJones wrote:

I'm no expert but this is how I understand it.

If you changed all artwork a template could not infringe on a copy right. You could even print that in the US and sell it as your own. The rules as written can be copy righted and the artwork specifically but the concepts are yours to play around with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt

Bellevue
Washington
msg tools
mb
egamar wrote:
And in the event you've spilled beer all over a deck of cards that is OOS/OOP in the supply chain?

I have no idea about the legality of a 'personal reprint' but the moral case is clear - go ahead and repair/replace/reprint your copy for your use.

I'm going to try to do this for O&L if Artscow's mini-cards are roughly the right size and Z-man don't reply to my emails. I just haven't got around to measuring them yet let alone converting scans of the my German cards to their English equivalents !

Z-Man is usually very quick to reply to customer service issues. If you haven't already, try contacting them at csr@zmangames.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm confused by my last Artscow purchase, I bought a mini sized deck of 54 cards, it came out 2" x 2.75" (5cm x 7cm) but on the website they announce a size of 2" x 2,5" (5cm x 6,35cm) which is quite a big gap. I didn't design the deck myself so I can't say for sure if the creator experienced the same thing (he didn't answer me yet)

Did they recently change their card's size (I doubt it) or am I not understanding something (most likely)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.