Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Well folks, my week here is done. It has been great and I thank you for allowing me my indulgences. I hope that we may one day sit across from each other at the game table and enjoy our common interest. But enough about me...

We're here to shine the spotlight on

Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb

Simon Mueller is one of my oldest Geekbuddies and is so mysterious. I wanted to know more about this guy, so I picked him for GotW. He draws a funny, little cartoon on an even funnier, littler site... hehe. (Just messing around. Don't burn me with acid, you nuts.) What I could tell you about Simon would pale in comparison to what Simon knows of himself. Give it to 'em, Simon!

Simon Mueller wrote:
Introduction:

"I'm really grateful to be chosen as GotW, but also a little surprised since my only really noteworthy contribution to the hobby is a board gaming cartoon, which isn't even published on this site. Anyways, thank you Joey and here's my story:

I was already playing in my little sand box, when the nuclear plant in Chernobyl melted down. That's where perhaps my mental super powers, but probably at least my asthma comes from. Being top of the class in elementary school, it was pretty obvious that I shall grow up to be a nerd, but several distractions helped me instead turn into the nerd-subcategory, which looks for different outlets for its creative energy: the gamer.

One of these distractions was growing up in a small, remote Bavarian village (pop. 500). If you wanted to play a game, it had to be football (soccer), and that's just what we did as kids during every break in elementary school as soon as the snow melted and also on the weekends. My urge to play was so strong, that once on the way to football training I fell from my bike, but just shrugged it off. Arriving on the field only my coach noticed the incision on my head, caused by a small stone I dropped on, and the blood was already pouring down my face, completely unnoticed by me. Despite its tiny size, the scar is still visible on my forehead today.

After that the dreaded video games made their entrance. My best friend was the first to have a SNES and my parents just outright forbid me to ever have one, too, just as I was never allowed to own a toy gun or other war toy. Since the only game he had was Super Mario World and two players couldn't play it at the same time, we instead let Super Mario influence our daily game of penalty kicks (football) we held every afternoon. If you hit the goal post or bar, a special item was triggered for your next shot. Examples:
Fire Flower - goalie may not use hands
Red Toad - shortens kick distance
ghost - goalie has to turn around
Green Toad - goalie has to dangle from the goal bar before the kick
and so ...
Around the same time I also created a Beat 'em Up (video game) out of cardboard, which was animated by moving the cardboard character pieces as it was originally done in Southpark. Since my mom was working in bookkeeping, we had a computer pretty early on (for our village) and I was allowed to play Commander Keen or Crystal Caves half an hour a day. Again, the urge to play grew so big, that my parents had to lock the computer room, but this didn't stop me from grabbing a ladder, climbing the roof and opening the tilted window with a broomstick, when my parents were gone one fateful evening. Only the dirt tracks on the floor betrayed me.

I went to high school at the nearest city (pop. 20,000), which unlike American high schools is inhabited mostly by children of academics and only few ordinary people. Since nobody played football during high school breaks, I went on to develop my own game of garage door football involving the garage of my parents and a very light beach football. Points were scored by kicking the ball volley against the garage door after it dropped from the roof. The game was so complex that none of my friends wanted to play it with me, and I ended up playing it alone - an experience which would repeat itself later. Having lost all motivation from no longer being top of the class in school and after receiving a Nintendo Game Boy from my uncle against the will of my parents (and later a N64), I finally grew fat and lazy. Consequently I then got into role-playing games.

We started out with Dungeons&Dragons and I was overwhelmed by the game, as it felt like it was created out of an idea I always had spooking around in my head. The group was launched by Warhammer veterans (which I never played), but was gradually taken over by cooler people. Although we were never viewed as nerds or geeks, our group was made up of pretty much the only non-academic breed in our whole high school class, so role-playing games were definitely viewed as a lowly leisure activity. We spent most of our time sending characters to slaughter in the "Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil" adventure, but also occasionally played Shadowrun, Cthulhu and Paranoia. Temporarily I even played D&D with a second group, but for them this was more an excuse for smoking lots of pot. It was very funny though (or maybe: hence).

Playing lots of American Football on the SNES I first decided to try it myself and then to also create a board game about it, which after crafting a board and over sixty figurines I decided would never really work.

I still managed to graduate high school (as the only kid from my village that year), but unfortunately our RPG groups split up, especially our Dungeon Master left to study quite far away. Left with nobody to do the work, our group morphed to become board gamers. Of course I grew up on a variety of kid games, in particular UP THE RIVER, DIE KECKEN RECKEN, SAGALAND and DER RÄUBER HOTZENPLOTZ, but we were all pretty much fed up with SETTLERS, CARCASSONNE, etc., so we instead played (in roughly chronological order): RISK, WAR OF THE RING, AXIS&ALLIES, BETRAYAL AT HOUSE ON THE HILL and TWILIGHT IMPERIUM 3, with the latter being an all time favorite. Despite (or maybe: because of) my nonviolent education I was strangely fascinated by war games. I'm a pacifist otherwise. Since I was sitting in front of a screen all day while being trained and working as a data engineer, I got accustomed to playing consims/war games solitaire instead of watching TV or playing video games in my spare time. I found out about SQUAD LEADER through MEMOIR '44 and later bought AMBUSH!, a game which is as old as I. It went downhill from there on. (I now study computer science.)

Two truths and a lie:

• In school my Latin teacher once confiscated sexually explicit Latin cartoons I secretly drew in class, which he then (proudly) presented in the teachers' room.
• When I was drafted by the German army, I was offered to become an anti-tank paratrooper.
• I had my first beer at 4, got drunk the first time at 11 and had a fatty liver at 17 years old."

Viva la questions!
1.) Will you (or have you) name one of your offspring Zalgo?
2.) You couldn't make a live-action game of Metroid? What's wrong with you?
3.) Favorite dessert?
4.) Tooshie, tookas, heiny or bum?
5.) What's your desert island game, book and companion?

Enjoy your week and thanks for being a great friend! #2 is the lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that #2 is the lie.

Clicked on your profile, and started to look at your top rated games. Then my hand wavered and I went down to see what you had rated a '1'. It's going to be an interesting week and millions will be horrified.

Glad to find someone with imagination who still likes the old Avalon Hill / Victory Game classics.

* I see that you're picking up a few monsters. What's the longest game you've played so far either calander-wise or hours invested?

* Have you ever tried using Vassal (Online game engine) for playing any of the larger/longer games? If not I'd recommend it for trying something like Silent War so you don't have to leave it set up.

* Do you think that you will ever get into ASL beyond trying some of the starter modules? There aren't too many people who would call Squad Leader a gateway game.

* If money and space were no problem how large would your ideal collection be?

Congratulations and have a great week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! mon so... F:AT isn't enough of a 'drain' on your time and efforts? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The GoW is dead! Long live the GoW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoo Hoo one of my first Geekbuddies is GOTW!

I will try to think up a good question before the week is out.

Have fun Simon!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Morgan Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Simon!

I'm going to pick #1 as the lie (though I hope it's #3).

Might we see you on geekchat again this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Simon!

Well chosen Joe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Congradulations Si'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
Congratulations Simon. Enjoy the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, a pacifist wargaming GOTW! thumbsup

Your rating system is interesting - only 9-7-5-3-1. Would you elaborate on that?

About Diplomacy:
Quote:
Austrian politics were actually more fun than portayed in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Simon!!!

Some Questions!!!!

1. Where did you ever get that silly old avatar? What does it represent?

2. What is your favorite Eurogame that has nothing to do with war?

3. What is your favorite non-Eurogame that has nothing to do with war?

4. What is your favorite Western Front in Europe WW2 Game?

5. What is your favorite Eastern Front in Europe WW2 Game?

6. What is your favorite Med or African Front in Europe WW2 Game?

7. What is your favorite Pacific WW2 Game?

8. What is your favorite wargame dealing with another 20th century confict?

9. What is your favorite wargame dealing with a war that took place between 1700-1899?

10. What is your favortite wargame dealing with a war that took place before 1700?

11. Do you like Monopoly? If yes or if no, Why?

12. Have you ever played Simon Says? Any funny stories there? or is Simon Says an American thing?

13. What has been your favorite place to live in your life?

That's All! You be well!!!

-Douglas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

thumbsup

Quote:
When I was drafted by the German army, I was offered to become an anti-tank paratrooper.

Please draw us a cartoon showing the deployment of an anti-tank paratrooper!

Do his jump boots have shaped charges on the bottom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rasmussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Simon

Your taste in games is overall good

As I know that you own and have played Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit please tell the BGG world about it! I think it deserves more attention.

Also I know that you were developing a war card game with your own drawings on it. Is that still in progress or has it gone to the eternal battle fields?

I never took for you the football (soccer) type but nice to learn something new!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Simon! It's good to see another wargaming fan be named GotW, especially one who, like me, enjoys both the old-style AH hex and counter games, as well as the newer fare like War of the Ring and TI3. I don't really have any questions for you but I hope you have a fun week basking in your geekglory!

coolthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations, Simon!

How pissed off were you that your "Gathering of Fiends" comic was accidentally relabeled "Gathering of Friends" in not one, but two places over on that other site? ninja Or is that just "part and package" of the frustration of being an artist and having your work misinterpreted from time to time? Any advice to other budding cartoonists out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb

Gratz Simon!

* Does this make you a wanker?
* Will this inspire a new cartoon?

Have fun being interrogated this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck does schweig mean?

Are there any german wargame designers out there we should know about (if there are any at all)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
Congrats!

I'd say #3 is the lie.

Why haven't you tried to repeat the:
Lame GAME Fame CLAIM Flame *Awards* ™

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Simon.

What is your favorite traditional German meal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
Congrats Simon Müller!

That's all, just congrats!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see a war gaming GOTW.

Congrats and have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now that I've had a few hours sleep, time for another question. If the world gaming economy crashed and all of the game companies except one went out business, which one game company would you want to see around 10 years from now and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Greatest one shot panel ever! The Amazing Spider Man Number 33
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Simon!

Two Questions:
1. Any advice for someone attmepting to get into Ambush? I still have the base game and all the expansions sitting on my bookshelf, but just can't seem to get into the system.
2. Is the guy in your avatar related to Christopher Lee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon,
I'm very surprised to find you here as GOTW. Congratulations !!!

At first I was unsure, if you are really the guy that attends our weekly gaming session, but after looking into your profile there is no doubt left.

Unfortunately for you our weekly and monthly gaming sessions don't feature a lot of your favourite games, but the newly introduced wishlist might give you better chances.

BTW, yesterday evening we played Fairy Tale, Arkham Horror (with Dunwich and King in Yellow), Small World, Space Alert and Alea iacta est.

We plan a Games of Thrones session with 4 players next Wednesday; maybe you can join us.

I wish you a nice week as geek of the week !!!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.