Popular Tags: [View All]
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our quest to find games that are less mind thinking, when coming home from a long day of work, we came across 'Hey! That's My Fish' It looked like a cute game, and I have always liked penguins, so we thought we would give it a try.

Contents

d10-1 60 Hexagons (ice flows)
d10-2 16 Penguins (4 per colour)
d10-3 1 Rules booklet

Recommended Players

The Recommended the amount of players is 2-4. When playing with additional people, it does tend to even the playing field, as the more people you have, the less amount of penguins you play with.

Setup

(Image taken by pdclose)

First, at random, you are going to place 8 hexagon tiles in a row face up. You are now going to alternate, placing them in rows, 1 row of 7, and another of 8.

Each player is going to take their colour of penguin. If you have 2 players, you are going to take 4. 3 players gets 3 penguins each. Finally, if you are playing with 4 players, you only get 2 penguins each.

How to Play

The first few rounds are just about placing your penguins. One player will put down a penguin, and then the next player places theirs, and so on until each player has placed their penguins.

Once all of them have been placed, you are able to move your penguin in a straight line, as many squares as you like. The exceptions, however are, you are not able to pass through other penguins, and you are not able to jump over holes. Once you have moved your penguin, you pick up the tile you were on previously.

How to Win

Each ice floes has either 1, 2, or 3 fish. The point of the game is to get the most amount of fish possible.

The Good vs The Bad

Quick and easy to learn for beginners
Fast play, the game doesn't take long to play
yuk It's obviously meant for younger children

Survey Says

I'm going to break this survey up into 2.

If I were going from a parent's perspective, who wanted to have their children introduced to games, or just even keep them entertained, I would give this game a rating of

However, as I said up above, we were looking for a game that didn't take much mind thinking, and we definitely found it. If you are looking for a game with intense strategy, this is not the game for you. It really is just a game to pass the time. I don't see myself playing this game as often as I would play Power Grid, or Shadows over Camelot. I would give this game a . However, I would not be opposed to playing this game with the younger generation of boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dolzan
Slovenia
Komenda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerenycus wrote:
yuk It's obviously meant for younger children

cerenycus wrote:
However, as I said up above, we were looking for a game that didn't take much mind thinking, and we definitely found it. If you are looking for a game with intense strategy, this is not the game for you. It really is just a game to pass the time.

I don't agree with that. Sure, it looks cute, but looks can deceive. This is essentially an abstract and it can be played very aggressively, requiring quite some thought and strategy. I'm afraid you were misled by the appearance to think that this is a light family game - you couldn't be more wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with David 100%. You couldn't be more wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjerk Feenstra
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous posters, this game is lurking with deep strategy, pure evil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I played this game with children, I think they would cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the beauty of the game is that it can be *both*:
A light family game AND a deceptively deep thinkey game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeZerp wrote:
Yep, this is the game we own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montag66 wrote:
LeZerp wrote:
Yep, this is the game we own.

I agree. Have only played this a couple times with my kid, but this simple looking little kid's game can easily turn into a cutthroat battle for territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe E.
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to add my voice to those of the other respondents here. In all honesty, if you seriously think it's mainly suited for younger children, that it doesn't take much thinking, and doesn't have intense strategy (or tactics), you've really missed a major aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played three games but I've got to agree with everyone else. The first one I thought 'oh this is a no brainer' and assumed I could just wing it (sorry) .. halfway through I realised my mistake but by then it was too late. I'd lost access to rich areas of territory and was soundly spanked. I won the second game although that was down to a lot of luck as much as judgment and the third game I came in second which was still an over positive indication of my abilities.

Its no chess but there is a lot of thought and planning involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeZerp wrote:

And a dessert topping. And a floor wax!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what they said. At first it's just cute, but then you realize that you really do need to think far ahead starting from the initial placement.

We had to break out the chess clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.