Subject: This vs Tier Auf Tier? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried both this and Animal Upon Animal. I gotta say, both games are neat. However I'd say one leg up Animal Upon Animal has over Arbos is that the rules seem to be more streamlined, clean, and won't cause the game to drag on as long. Namely, in Arbos, you drop stuff, you pick up ALL of it. In Tier Auf Tier, you drop stuff, you pick up up to 2 pieces. That latter seems much more elegant if you ask me.

Another pro over Tier is the die seems to be more elegant than a card driven system, although this is very minor one in my books. I'm guessing it wasn't possible, or even practical to fit all the options on a single die (d12 perhaps?). I suppose I could try to come up with my own variant with 2 dice and make the options of "do nothing" or "give all your pieces to another player" roll the least frequently.

Thoughts on these topics?
-Arbos being MUCH longer than Tier, even though Arbos doesn't seem to be that much longer (may be for some)
-The cards being too much more randon compared to Tier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on this is that the moment I feel I have a rule that could be improving the game, I implement it without any second thought.

Play Arbos the way you play Tier auf Tier, then. Just pick up 2 pieces if you drop. Use a die instead. Whatever. Personally, my rule is that all branches must be placed first, then whatever. I don't use the cards. My only gripe about Arbos is the top of the stem. Had I made it, I would have a rounded top of the stem, with the 3 holes slightly tilted instead of a clean-cut top with 3 holes aiming straight up. Branches placed there tend to lethally tip the tree in a way that could be game-breaking. And that sort of component fault is hard to correct.

What I like with Arbos is the tree-dimensional aesthetics. I like building trees. It's a very hard game for kids to play, though. I think my 3yo would have better luck with Tier auf Tier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.