Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

WildLife» Forums » Rules

Subject: Auction question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule book states that one of your cards each turn must be offered via auction to the other players. However it says during the auction that "Each player may bid".

So my question is can the player who is offering the card bid and purchase the card for his own use? According to the Read As Written thought process of that line it would be yes.

However I was playing a 2 player game and in those rules it says the following:

"Auctions proceed as normal, however the winner only needs to pay the minimum bid of 3 Food chips!"

Which would lead me to believe that the owner of the card has NO chance at buying the card. I mean if opponent bids minimum of three and then owner bids 4 couldn't opponent bid 5 and then just pay 3 anyway? WHAT?

Would like to hear from you guys on this issue.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
As this is the primary (only?) way to get food, I think the spirit of the rule is for someone else to win the auction, thus the player putting it up for auction may not bid.

When I played, there was always a card that seemed to be the right one to auction. Either one I knew no one wanted, or one that I knew multiple people wanted so I could get food out of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not the only way. There is the Food Surplus card. I've had two of those in my hand at once...I was last on the success track so effectively that was 20 food...and I used them as such. So in this instance food was not an issue to me at all...and I really wanted to bid on my own card even if I just paid the bank. It's never actually covered in the rules specifically. I feel like the idea of the game is to NOT allow this but it'd be nice to know for sure. Until I do that's how I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the original owner can never get his own card in the auction. It is even written in the german original of the rules that if no one is interested in the card, it goes to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the uberplay English rules are the same way:

AUCTIONS

On his turn a player must auction at least 1 card to his opponents as one of his actions. If the player wishes to auction multiple cards, each gets its own separate auction and each costs 1 action each.

The winner of the bid pays the appropriate number of Food chips to the auctioneer. He then either immediately executes the card's action, or discards the card with no effect.

If no bids are given, the action is lost and the card is discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.