Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second episode of Out of this World, where James and I talk about Fantasy Games.

In this episode we discuss recently read Fantasy novels and take a close look at the card game Fairy Tale, by Satoshi Nakamura.

Don't forget that you can have this podcast magically transported into the imp-run music artifact of your choice at the great burning eye-tunes... and you can donate a few coppers to support the show at www.onboardgames.net

Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
Episode: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=480336
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to everyone, who can't understand Strayan, my accent is a bit thick in these episodes. What an affliction, it is not a cool smooth accent like a Frenchman's or awesome like a Glaswegian's.

Perhaps we could have a translator next episode, or I will adopt a regal accent.

Hope you still enjoyed it. Also don't hesitate to give us some suggestions for our next episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greatsage wrote:
Sorry to everyone, who can't understand Strayan, my accent is a bit thick in these episodes. What an affliction, it is not a cool smooth accent like a Frenchman's or awesome like a Glaswegian's.

Perhaps we could have a translator next episode, or I will adopt a regal accent.

Hope you still enjoyed it. Also don't hesitate to give us some suggestions for our next episode.

Stone the crows you great dingo's donger! Stop that Hooli Dooli and get back in the shed ready to record the next flammin' episode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great episode guys I would love a video review of Fairy Tales because it's still hard to get how the game works (if there's anyone out there with a camera). Except for the drafting part, that's easily understandable.

I might try out some of the books you mentioned. It would be very helpful if you could write down the names and authors because I find it hard to make some of them out.

Don't worry about pronouncing Japanese names, anyone not familiar will the language will get it wrong. And people using English pronunciation of the letters will always get it really wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
Great episode guys I would love a video review of Fairy Tales because it's still hard to get how the game works (if there's anyone out there with a camera). Except for the drafting part, that's easily understandable.

I might try out some of the books you mentioned. It would be very helpful if you could write down the names and authors because I find it hard to make some of them out.

Don't worry about pronouncing Japanese names, anyone not familiar will the language will get it wrong. And people using English pronunciation of the letters will always get it really wrong

Hey Magnus, I'm glad you liked the episode. Fairy Tale can be a bit tricky to learn, a video review would be great for it!

The books I mentioned were:

Jhereg by Steven Brust

Elric by Michael Moorcock

and

In the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Hopefully we will record another episode shortly, possibly of a newer game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The books I referred to were:

Neverwhere, By Neil Gaiman.

Mouse Guard: Fall 1152

Both come recommended, Neverwhere for the tale, Mouse Guard for the rich setting.

Hehehehe, we try with the names, but as you can tell, we also excel at butchering them!

Glad to read you liked it! As Jimmy said, we'll hopefull get another episode recorded soon!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Kalla
Canada
flag msg tools
i dont read books much, but for some reason the picture on Mouse Guard makes me want to go and get it. Looks interesting. I think it's something to do with the mice, because i remember really liking Secret of Nimb as a child, and other mouse books like Poppy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am reading Mrs Frisby and the Secret of NIMH to the kids in my class at the moment! That is a great book!

Mouse Guard is a great production, the collected book is a wonderful hardcover and the illustrations create a luxurious world. The official website is here.

I haven't read Poppy.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you guys need to read The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. A great story about talking animals and the stupid looking kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
James,

What were the books you talked about? The assassin one sounded good but I'm not certain who the author was.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
James,

What were the books you talked about? The assassin one sounded good but I'm not certain who the author was.

Thanks.

The books were

This was the assassin one, Jhereg is the first book, I have yet to read Yendi and Teckla which are the second and third stories included in the trilogy.

the other was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brust books go from great to suck. The reason they start to falter is because he starts dealing with relationship trauma. I'd guess he was screwed over in real life, and it leaked into his fantasy writing. I don't remember how many books it took, but you should be safe the first two or three.

One of Brust's best books is the The Phoenix Guard, set in the same world, and it's sequel 500 years after. In those two he is mimicking the writing style of the Three Musketeers, so be warned they are very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love is the quote on the cover of the Brust book:

Zelazny wrote:
Watch Steven Brust. He surprises you.

What did Brust do to Zelazny one steamy night after a writers convention... we may never know, but Zelazny warns us... Watch Steven Brust...

Maybe it is like 'Blink'... Maybe Brust is a Weeping Angel...

The Doctor wrote:
...Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Brust is fast, faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:

The Doctor wrote:
...Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Brust is fast, faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck...

YAY! Doctor Who is one of Britain's best TV series.

Oh, and thanks both of you for posting all the books with covers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
caradoc wrote:

The Doctor wrote:

YAY! Doctor Who is one of Britain's best TV series.

I agree - and Steven Moffat's episode Blink is one of my personal favourites. I will be very interested to see how the series goes after he takes over - I think he'll do a great job! (Davies was also wonderful).

Quote:
Oh, and thanks both of you for posting all the books with covers

No worries!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
I agree - and Steven Moffat's episode Blink is one of my personal favourites. I will be very interested to see how the series goes after he takes over - I think he'll do a great job! (Davies was also wonderful).
I will miss David Tennant he's been my favorite, but I also liked Christopher Eccleston. David was just the first "replacement" Doctor I really liked from the first episode he appeared.

I don't have a lot of faith that the new guy will grab me in the same way, but I have promised myself to give him an honest chance.

As for episodes - all I have to do is cover my eyes and Connie still freaks out. That episode was super creepy.

I also wish I could get Torchwood! That's another fun series - it's like the Doctor Who universe version of Buffy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
The Brust books go from great to suck. The reason they start to falter is because he starts dealing with relationship trauma. I'd guess he was screwed over in real life, and it leaked into his fantasy writing. I don't remember how many books it took, but you should be safe the first two or three.

One of Brust's best books is the The Phoenix Guard, set in the same world, and it's sequel 500 years after. In those two he is mimicking the writing style of the Three Musketeers, so be warned they are very different.

As the one who originally recommended Brust here, I thought I'd comment... but Donald's already covered it. I do have a few things to add though. I don't think the Vlad books start sucking, but I did like the earlier ones best. And it's currently a 10 book series, not a trilogy.

Anyone interested in book recommendations might also want to look back at the previous thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/384987) where many authors were brought up and discussed.

I read the first Temeraire book by Naomi Novik. Not my cup of tea. Here's how I'd describe it to others. Imagine a book about vintage warplanes and the pilots. And the book is mostly dogfighting. Now replace the planes with dragons and you're there.

Since the last thread, I've read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Can't recommend them. He offers very little new to fantasy readers. He handles his characters better and I daresay you'll have a hard time finding a character in fantasy just like Sand der Glokta, but it's not enough to make these books leap to your reading list. Not bad books. It's just there are better ones out there.

The Rothfuss book sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
As the one who originally recommended Brust here, I thought I'd comment... but Donald's already covered it. I do have a few things to add though. I don't think the Vlad books start sucking, but I did like the earlier ones best. And it's currently a 10 book series, not a trilogy.

Perhaps I overstated how bad they got, but I stopped enjoying his writing and quit reading the series, which is a shame because they start out pretty darned good. Perhaps the actual writing quality didn't drop, heck it may have improved, but I just found the relationship storythread irritating on a very basic level. I think he did the same thing with Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille. Apparently he was going through horrible relationships and wanted to inflict them on his readers.

Does he get past the bits I'm talking about? Or is it a recurring theme for the rest of the series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:

Steven Moffat's Coupling is my favorite sitcom, I've seen all episodes at least 3 times and still laugh out loud at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
What I love is the quote on the cover of the Brust book:

Zelazny wrote:
Watch Steven Brust. He surprises you.

What did Brust do to Zelazny one steamy night after a writers convention... we may never know, but Zelazny warns us... Watch Steven Brust...

The Doctor wrote:

Hmmm interesting theory. I am reading Lord of Light by Zelazny at the moment, I will now try to find any hints in the book into whether he is attracted to Weeping Angels or if he likes people with a Hungarian background. You could be on to something! Or maybe just on something.

Trump wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

Anyone interested in book recommendations might also want to look back at the previous thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/384987) where many authors were brought up and discussed.

I read the first Temeraire book by Naomi Novik. Not my cup of tea. Here's how I'd describe it to others. Imagine a book about vintage warplanes and the pilots. And the book is mostly dogfighting. Now replace the planes with dragons and you're there.

Since the last thread, I've read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Can't recommend them. He offers very little new to fantasy readers. He handles his characters better and I daresay you'll have a hard time finding a character in fantasy just like Sand der Glokta, but it's not enough to make these books leap to your reading list. Not bad books. It's just there are better ones out there.

The Rothfuss book sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list for the future.

Interesting thoughts on your new reads. Did you find the Phoenix Guard book as good as Donald does? Incidentally I have the Three Musketeers ready to be read sometime soon.

The Rothfuss book is pretty good, but I don't think that it is breaking new ground in fantasy. I also think that it is pretty accessible and near to young adult fiction. So if you want to have an enjoyable read I would recommend it. However if you are looking for something that will revolutionise the fantasy genre, this isn't it.

Awakening wrote:
caradoc wrote:

Steven Moffat's Coupling is my favorite sitcom, I've seen all episodes at least 3 times and still laugh out loud at times.

You have excellent taste Magnus. Coupling is hilarious, although the fourth series was a disappointment. Jeff made that show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going off-topic for a moment (or, rather, to a different but related topic.)

Have you played Masquerade yet?

I rather like it, but it's one of those games where I'd forgotten a crucial rule so we hadn't played it properly so I'm anxious to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I've played it a few times. It's like a board game with no board. I quite like it, though it is a little off beat and odd, so I can see why it gets up and down reviews. I also think it plays best with 3 or 4.

I like the way the different characters in this have their own particular strategies, and there are plenty of ways to mess with what is happening - really, it's quite an involved game for the box size and price. I am looking forward to playing it again too actually!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of plays here too of Masquerade. It is a really good game. It does have a tendency to fray tempers as people start to declare fights against each other or to take spaces that the other players need, without getting any benefit themself. It is very funny and it is more funny when you are watching someone get more and more surly at the game: "Check the rules" "I don't believe what you say, I want to see it in print!" "That rule is ambiguous what does it actually mean to say??" "Why are you always picking on my character?"

Ahhh good times. We should play it again this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greatsage wrote:
A couple of plays here too of Masquerade. It is a really good game. It does have a tendency to fray tempers as people start to declare fights against each other or to take spaces that the other players need, without getting any benefit themself. It is very funny and it is more funny when you are watching someone get more and more surly at the game: "Check the rules" "I don't believe what you say, I want to see it in print!" "That rule is ambiguous what does it actually mean to say??" "Why are you always picking on my character?"

Ahhh good times. We should play it again this weekend!

Hehehehe. Sure - after a game of Diplomacy or Family Business laugh

I can't remember that actually - you'll have to remind me before he arrives What time are you turning up? If it's early we might be able to record something...

A game of Masquerade might be cool - or Ruse & Bruise...

To be fair though - this is a result of a player who isn't used to/doesn't like conflict in games - at least this was when he had little experience with board games. If your group doesn't like take that, Masquerade may not be right for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.