Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was just posted on the Age of Steam Yahoo Group:

Quote:
Today the US Patent & Trademark Office awarded the Registered Trademark for Age of Steam to John Bohrer.
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77527...
In celebration of this event, we are doing a special printing of the AoS expansion most in demand. AoS: Eastern US & Canada.

The expansion is available at Boards & Bits for $9.99
http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=21...
This is my way of saying thanks to all those AoS fans who have supported Winsome Games over the last difficult 30 months.

John Bohrer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Costas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards & Bits want $29.75 dollars to ship this to the UK. This may well be their standard policy for international orders but it's still a massive rip off. You have been warned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100%Blade wrote:
Boards & Bits want $29.75 dollars to ship this to the UK. This may well be their standard policy for international orders but it's still a massive rip off. You have been warned.

While I would love to offer a cheaper shipping option, there are a few reasons why it doesn't make sense for us:

1) A trip to the post office. With our standard USPS International Priority or Express shipping, we can print postage online and have the packages picked up by our delivery person. With USPS International First Class we are required to make a trip to the post office and stand in line to ship the package.

2) Tracking: with Priority or Express shipping we at least get *some* tracking information to prove that we shipped the package. With First Class there is no tracking information nor notifications.

3) Speed: Priority mail usually reaches its destination country in less than 10 days. First Class has no such guarantee, and can take several weeks. Not only do we get many questions such as "where is my package?", but the longer packages are in the USPS system, the more likely they are to sustain damages.

4) Profit (we are a business, after all): the extra time it takes to ship a small package with an already small profit margin by making a trip to the post office doesn't make business sense. We are a discount retailer and therefore our profits and your savings are bigger the larger your order. Adding these maps to an existing order will cost you almost nothing for additional shipping. But yes, shipping something small and light will cost much more and in many cases doesn't make sense.

I can understand Michael's frustration, but I don't see where the blame should fall on Boards & Bits.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about 2) and 3) - I trust you and I don't mind how long it takes to get here. 1) and 4) are essentially the same thing and while I understand your point your competitors don't necessarily think like this - as an example, I tried to order a similar priced and sized product from Troll & Toad and the shipping to the UK came up at $7.81

Unfortunately you are the sole retailer for this map so I cannot go elsewhere. Instead I am left with a decision to pay $40 for a $10 product or do without a map I really want. Your inflexibility to help out me, the customer, makes my mind up for me and I won't be buying from you, which, judging by your mails to me, doesn't bother you. At least you can't continue to make the claim that Boards & Bits have had nothing but positive feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
100%Blade wrote:

While I would love to offer a cheaper shipping option, there are a few reasons why it doesn't make sense for us:

1) A trip to the post office. With our standard USPS International Priority or Express shipping, we can print postage online and have the packages picked up by our delivery person. With USPS International First Class we are required to make a trip to the post office and stand in line to ship the package.

2) Tracking: with Priority or Express shipping we at least get *some* tracking information to prove that we shipped the package. With First Class there is no tracking information nor notifications.

3) Speed: Priority mail usually reaches its destination country in less than 10 days. First Class has no such guarantee, and can take several weeks. Not only do we get many questions such as "where is my package?", but the longer packages are in the USPS system, the more likely they are to sustain damages.

4) Profit (we are a business, after all): the extra time it takes to ship a small package with an already small profit margin by making a trip to the post office doesn't make business sense. We are a discount retailer and therefore our profits and your savings are bigger the larger your order. Adding these maps to an existing order will cost you almost nothing for additional shipping. But yes, shipping something small and light will cost much more and in many cases doesn't make sense.

I can understand Michael's frustration, but I don't see where the blame should fall on Boards & Bits.

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com

Tom,

I might be mistaken, but those AoS maps should fit into a Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope. You can print the postage for these online for $12.30 and have them picked up by your delivery person along with your other packages. You can even get a box of them delivered to you for free by going to USPS.com to have on hand for shipments such as these.

Win-win!

-Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100%Blade wrote:
I don't care about 2) and 3) - I trust you and I don't mind how long it takes to get here. 1) and 4) are essentially the same thing and while I understand your point your competitors don't necessarily think like this - as an example, I tried to order a similar priced and sized product from Troll & Toad and the shipping to the UK came up at $7.81

Unfortunately you are the sole retailer for this map so I cannot go elsewhere. Instead I am left with a decision to pay $40 for a $10 product or do without a map I really want. Your inflexibility to help out me, the customer, makes my mind up for me and I won't be buying from you, which, judging by your mails to me, doesn't bother you. At least you can't continue to make the claim that Boards & Bits have had nothing but positive feedback.

So you are asking me to be flexible for you even if I lose money on the sale? Does this seem reasonable to you? And if I do this for you, how many others should I do this for? Or should I just do this for you and tell everyone else no?

I did noticed that the other retailer you mention charges more than Boards & Bits when you choose one of the shipping methods we offer.

As for your feedback, people can take it for what it's worth to them.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't given me an alternative quote for postage & packing so how do you know you would lose money on the sale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zambo wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
100%Blade wrote:

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com

Tom,

I might be mistaken, but those AoS maps should fit into a Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope. You can print the postage for these online for $12.30 and have them picked up by your delivery person along with your other packages. You can even get a box of them delivered to you for free by going to USPS.com to have on hand for shipments such as these.

Win-win!

-Z

Steve, thank you for mentioning this. As we have never shipped anything like this internationally before, our software only looks for prices on "packages", not "envelopes".

This is definitely an option for international customers that just want this particular map.

I don't have the time to program this into our site, but for any international customers that want to order just 1 or 2 copies of the maps, we'll ship them via USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope for $12.95. Select PAY LATER when you place the order and we'll adjust the price for you.

Michael, it's not that we're not flexible, but we can't be flexible beyond what makes sense. And this makes sense.

I will state for the record that if the maps are damaged during shipping, we will not be able to replace them.

Thanks again for your help, Steve!

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
I don't have the time to program this into our site, but for any international customers that want to order just 1 or 2 copies of the maps, we'll ship them via USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope for $12.95. Select PAY LATER when you place the order and we'll adjust the price for you.

This sounds quite reasonable to me (although my opinion is that of a slug's in these matters).

Alternatively, Michael could take advantage of the US's oft-toted good deals with a further purchase or two in the original box packaging...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
This sounds quite reasonable to me

It is indeed reasonable and precisely what I meant by being flexible. Thank you, Tom
edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100%Blade wrote:
blueatheart wrote:
This sounds quite reasonable to me

It is indeed reasonable and precisely what I meant by being flexible. Thank you, Tom
edit: spelling

Does this mean we have only positive feedback again?

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually look at the description closer it looks like Bohner wrote the product info for this...
Quote:
This highly rated expansion has had the greatest demand for a reprint

Well here on BGG is is rated 7.85 but there are only eight (8) ratings!

As for "demand" here on BGG:

Users Wanting: 49
Designed By John Bohrer

Compare this to

Age of Steam Expansion #1: England & Ireland
User Rating: 8.16 / 10 (406 Ratings)
Users Wanting: 100
Designed By Martin Wallace

Maybe John simply means the highest rated and greatest demand out of the maps he designed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31047/item/649835#item...

Who is Bohner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Interestingly the most thumbed "expansion" from that list of "What games/expansions do you want to see WINSOME" reprint appears to be:

Age of Steam Expansion #1: England & Ireland
User Rating: 8.16 / 10 (406 Ratings)
Designed By Martin Wallace

printed by both Winsome and Warfrog.

Interesting the most thumbed title (base game not expansion map) from that list is Lancashire Railways also designed by Martin Wallace.

In any case, you obviously meant "highest rated" out of the expansion maps you designed And it still looks to me twice the number of BGG users (myself included) want "#1 - England & Ireland" compared to "Eastern US & Canada".

I do have to give you credit... you are a king of marketing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Who is Bohner?

It's a variant of Bohnanza with a train theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of May 19th it was 65 to 42 thumbs in favor of Eastern US & Canada (read 8th comment under Exp #1 item).

The Eastern US & Canada item was taken down as all entries are from that geeklist once a reprint happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.