Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
474 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Cleanse the stars - Pandemic 40K rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: epic40k [+] todo [+] retheme [+] fan-redesign [+] re-theme [+] custom [+] homemade [+] artscow [+] [View All]
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep going! We're all anxiously waiting to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fail us....the Inquistion would not be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
little update.

In Corel it was easy to connect the points and then move them around as I wanted, the connections stayed.

The cons: I am not familiar with Corel yet. And seems I have less (or rather different choices compared to Gimp and PS)

Other cons: not satisfied with the style. Style of the "cities" and the style of the connections.

Next step. Take the connected cities, put them all in PS and try to think of something to pimp it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very promising. Keep it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

a quick test with planets instead of the symbols.

also some connections. solid, dotted etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

But when I hear Corel, my hands twitch...
I use Inkscape and I think it would be a great tool for you. But of course you would need to learn that too so... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

not satisfied. connections not visible enough, problems with size etc.

Have to think, before acting.

Maybe re-start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could darken the background a bit (sort of like a lightbox) to help the connections show up better?

Or you could place outlines around them

_____
_ _ _
_____

sort of like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcalibursZone wrote:
Perhaps you could darken the background a bit (sort of like a lightbox) to help the connections show up better?

Or you could place outlines around them

_____
_ _ _
_____

sort of like that?

Longer dashes might help also, as opposed to dots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Yes, the starmap is not dark enough. Did some tests and will try more. Also with the dashes.

Then to take a break from the original, did a quick sketch in a bit different way. It is just a test, nothing serious. I wanted something like a real map with drawing-like planets and stuff. Far from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
Um, that's not what old paper for. The galaxy in the background as an idea is fine, but it doesn't have to be dark- it has to be desaturated. For the routes and planets I'd just use a hint of drop shadow, outer glow and dark outlines:

ps: for a really good starfield for bg check out Greg Martin's outstanding works. Here's an excellent tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exacltly. I did one version of this. Desaturated and tinted a bit blue.
Will post it tonight.

Thanks!

Zillion more options to discover. Like the extra brushed (like with the chain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For planets and junk, you might want to check out Diard Software's Universe Image Creator: http://www.diardsoftware.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the desaturation but not total.

Drop shadows are something I don't like on this sort of background. Why are the lines and planet floating above the map and casting shadows? Where is the light coming from? Maybe if the shadows were in different directions and amounts as if there was a central light source.

If desaturated partly, a custom paint brush could be cycled through to create a pretty path. A glow around the planets is a nice idea. The extreme difference between the desaturated bg and glow and paths and the coloured planets makes the map really boring, just a few coloured spots on grey when the colour of the original image in this thread was rather attractive and interesting.

In Rogue Trader, the only galactic map was really quite pointless. But to use it as precedent, the typeface was a simple old fashioned serif typeface with very little space between characters. It had an x-height that is about 2/3 of a capital letter. The miniscule l and h are taller than the capital letters. The thin strokes are very much thinner than the broad strokes. Many of the labels in the diagrams are a more modern serif typeface. Like the other serif font, the difference in line thickness is very great. The x-height is about half the majuscule height. Italics are occasionally used.

There's another map of a building which is labelled in a plain sans serif typeface.

Having gone through all the typefaces on my computer (just a standard windows install) High Tower Text captures the feel the best. It harks back to books printed in the 18th century, a gothic feel.

Font packages from these pages may give a similar feel:

http://desktoppub.about.com/library/fonts/dd/uc_jslancient.h... - The designer has included imperfections to make it look like printed text.

http://www.orbitals.com/programs/wyld.zip - This is a version of the Caslon type face that the designer claims is a near perfect reproduction of Caslon.

Remember that GW is hugely fond of using white type in a black box.

Edit: Some grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! currently I am stuck. do not really like what I did. Also struggling to do what I want with the software. Reading into it.
yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, I know...

Should be ready by now.

But it is not...

Maybe a fresh start...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurion Kemish
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midaga wrote:
Um, that's not what old paper for. The galaxy in the background as an idea is fine, but it doesn't have to be dark- it has to be desaturated. For the routes and planets I'd just use a hint of drop shadow, outer glow and dark outlines:

In this version you could also nicely add some of the 'old style' warp creatures in the map. I really like how they are shown on some of the maps in the 40k fluff books. They really give the idea of a modern version of the old classical maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor progress. Did not touch the files for a long time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Creveling
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What help do you need with this project. I run a Prepress department and digital production shop. I am not an artist, however, I know my way around the adobe creative suite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geekmail sent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this, are you cleansing tyranids and chaos (nurgle, slaneesh, khorne, and the other one)? Cleansing disease?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
of course 40K bad guys.

Chaos (red), orks (green), tyranids (blue), Tau or eldar (yellow)

but your idea is also great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's cool man. I realize now that you are playing imperials only. I was thinking that it might be imperials and they might recruit orks or eldar or Tau or whoever to help in the fight, but I'm not that familiar with the 40K verse, other than RT days (I played when you got an ounce of paint (~30mL) in a jar instead of the current 12mL. My last purchase was the Lost and the Damned book (other than BFG stuff). I also only played a little, my buddies didn't want to buy and paint minis.

PLEASE keep up the good work, this is just awesome! If you want to talk to two other guys who did insanely good stuff on remaking games (and I'm sure you already know them) who might have tips for you on finishing I would talk to:

ScottE (Scott Everts) and Dathkaden (Michael Christopher)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/341001/merchant-of-venus

sielim (Piotr Sielimowicz)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/719994/star-trader

But I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.

Just really want to say, I really love the work you are doing and look forward to printing and playing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More...

Of course I am not a pro but I will finish it.

- the text could be better but it is not final
- have to finish the other sectors
- other stuff (threat rate, escalation etc.)
- all the cards (role cards, planets etc.)

There might be someone out there who is doing a better version... whistle

Hardcore 40K gamers will complain about the positioning of the planets relative to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.