Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble Apple is a simple game. The game consists of 102 lettered tiles that have the same distribution of letters as the original (English) Scrabble. There is no board.

Gameplay:
All of these tiles are placed face-down in the middle of the table and the players take turns turning over one tile at a time and placing them into a common area, also in the middle of the table.
Each time a letter is turned over, all the players attempt to spell a word using some or all the exposed letters in this central area. The words must be at least 3 letters long. Whichever player (if any) shouts out a spelled word first takes the letters and arranges them into the word, directly in front of them. Players usually end up with several words each. Note: the spelled words are not arranged like a crossword puzzle (as in Scrabble), but are simply arranged as list of words. Also like Scrabble, there are two "wildcard" tiles that can be used in place of any letter.
The twist to the game is that instead of using only letters from the central area, a player may spell a word using some letters from the middle and all of the letters from a word that is already laid out in front of any player. In this way, it is possible to "steal" words from other players or increase the length of your own words. Note: Just like in Scrabble, you cannot simply add an "S" to the end of a pre-existing word.

End of the game:
When all of the tiles have been exposed and no one can spell any new words, the game is over. Each player's score is calculated. A word's score is equal to the sum of the points shown on the fronts of the letter tiles (just like Scrabble). Several of the tiles have a special, red background. These tiles work just like the "Double Score Word" spaces on a Scrabble board. With them, the value of a word can be doubled (or quadrupled).

My thoughts:
The obvious thing to do is to compare Scrabble Apple to Bananagrams. Both games are speed-spelling contests using a set of tiles. Whereas Bananagrams is, for the most part, a multiple-player solitaire, Scrabble Apple is a direct-confrontation game. The stealing of other player's words can lead to animosity or tension, and it is rare to get through a game without at least one argument over who blurted out a word first. The frantically paced spell-a-thon of Bananagrams is quite peaceful compared to the rambunctious spell-fest of Scrabble Apple.
The gameplay of each game has its merits, and they do require slightly different spelling skills. Despite their lineage and names, Bananagrams is actually more similar to Scrabble than is Scrabble Apple. My preference goes to Bananagrams, but I don't mind throwing in some games of Scrabble Apple.
Componentwise, Bananagrams is far superior to Scrabble Apple. The former has nice, solid plastic tiles which slide nicely on a tabletop, but are heavy enough to remain in place when you are moving nearby tiles around. The latter has lightweight, concaved tiles which are thin enough that you can differentiate the red-backed tiles from the others without flipping them over. It is necessary to place stickers or paint or something on the backs of the tiles so that it is not a problem. That is unfortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. We used to play this years ago with a normal set of Scrabble tiles. Back then, it was called 'Snatch Scrabble', since you can snatch words from other players.

Of course, we didn't have the Double/Triple word score tiles then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing "Take 2" here in Sydney forever, which is again basically the same game played with regular Scrabble tiles.

This release seems to be an "official" direct competitor to Bananagrams, which is basically a pouch of Scrabble tiles and a ruleset. Fair enough move I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. David Ladage
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the fact that it is so freakin' poorly designed. You can see through the tiles enough to be able to pick out the red-toned multiplier tiles with ease... it SUCKS.

My girlfriend and I played it once. Never again.

Anyone want my copy?

Seriously.

Edit: Never mind. I have donated my copy. Never want to see that thing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TaleSpinner wrote:
Amazing. We used to play this years ago with a normal set of Scrabble tiles. Back then, it was called 'Snatch Scrabble', since you can snatch words from other players.

Hence, the name Snatch It!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Retondo
United States
Addison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
TaleSpinner wrote:

Hence, the name Snatch It!

Ha! Bought Snatch-it yesterday because it looked cool, and said to my girlfriend in the store, "Wouldn't it be funny if this was the same exact game as that Scrabble Apple game we got and never played?" Oh well, Scrabble Apple was cheap, and Snatch-it has better tiles anyway, so I won't hesitate to give Scrabble Apple a new home.

Side note: GOOD GAME! I like how it can be very cutthroat without hurting yourself, unlike Scrabble where if you block off all the good spaces to play it screws you as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.