Popular Tags: [View All]
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the instructions aren't sufficient to handle a few situations that come up. What do you think about how to handle these?:

Running out of Cell Groups - If you compete with someone in a city and that player beats you in building a church there, your Cell Groups stay there. (Or do they?) You can also end up leaving Cell Groups in a city and start building somewhere else (usually because of a bad Event Card.) So, what happens if you don't have enough Cell Groups left when you try to build a church, or if a church downgrades to 6 Cell Groups?

I would say that you can use papers, chips or unused colors of Cell Groups. Perhaps we aren't meant to settle for only 18 Cell Groups. I mean, we hope that there are MANY believers out there to help build churches.

Limited movement and movement enhancers - If an Event Card limits your movement on a turn, can you still use Full Moon or Good Weather to increase the movement?

Applying logic, I say that it won't, as a sickness will get you down whether the weather is good or not. However, since Event Cards which state that you move as normal also say "up to 3 spaces," and we can use these cards with those events, it would figure that we can use them when a card says that we can only move 1 or 2 spaces, too. Of course, if a card says that you may not move this turn, you can't use Full Moon or Good Weather.

Ship travel through waterways - There are places on the game board with the double-sided arrow showing that you can cross those areas by land. Can you also cross through those waterways by sea?

The instructions say in one spot that you must stay on the sea while on a ship and I don't think that these areas are considered 'seas.' However, I'm sure that ships could cross these areas in real life. But, then, how did people cross by land? I think that we can't cross these by ship in this game.

What do you all think?

Jighm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Raymer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
1. Yes, you should use additional markers if you run out of cell group counters. This should not happen all that often.

2. You are able to use opportunity cards to enhance movement even if your movement is reduced by an event card. This assumes that you still can move.

3. You may move by sea through those connected land spaces. So yes, you can cross through those areas. It is assumed that the water is crossed by a ferry of some sort when traveling by land.

Thanks for playing,

Kenneth L. Raymer,
Designer, The Journeys of Paul Historical Strategy Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Super! I got a response from the designer himself. Thanks for the clarifications. They are official, too.

One other thing, Deacon cards in your hand can only be played before you take an action or right after drawing a card at the end of the turn, and then only if the drawn card was the Deacon. Is this correct? If the drawn card is not a Deacon, I want to play a Deacon that was already in my hand at the end of my turn. I don't think that is allowed.

Jighm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Raymer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yes you can play a Deacon at the end of your turn. A Deacon card may be played at the end of your turn even if you did not draw it that turn. You might want to do this to reduce the cards you hold. It is mentioned in the rules that if you draw a Deacon card you can play it immediately. This action is needed to reduce the number of cards in your hand in order to meet the maximum allowance of 7 cards. The important thing to remember is that you cannot place a Deacon in response to a newly drawn disaster event card, thus countering that disaster event.

-Kenneth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats the way i have been playing it, other than we did not allow Deacon card to be played from hand when drawing cards. Will probably change to being able to play any Deacon card now when drawing opportunity cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.