$10.00
Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Zombie Mosh!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Just For Stoners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Market positioning is important for a game company. It's crucial to identify yourself with a specific kind of game. For example, when you think 'Fantasy Flight' you think of a different kind of game than when you think, 'Rio Grande.' Bucephalus Games obviously is aware of this, because as far as I can tell, they're trying to position themselves as the company that makes games you won't want to play more than once.

The latest trainwreck from Bucephalus is called Zombie Mosh. Now, before I go into depth saying rotten things about people I don't know, I will admit that the kind of person who wants to play a game where zombie rockers mosh until their arms fall off is probably also the kind of person who would enjoy a game with so very little going on. After the game, the players may want to do Jello shooters and smash beer cans on their foreheads.

The theory in this almost-a-game is that each of you is a zombie who likes very loud music. You all jump into the mosh pit and flail like crazy, and then your arms and legs fall off. The last zombie still flailing is the winner (unless you count everyone who didn't do drugs all through high-school and therefore knows better than to play Zombie Mosh in the first place - they are also winners, because not only are they living clean, but they're not playing Zombie Mosh).

Each round, you'll be dealt a couple damage cards, and then you'll have a few cards you can play on your fellow zombies to knock their faces into the dirt (unless the mosh pit is in a carpeted area, in which case you'll be knocking their faces in the carpet). These ultra-complex cards have such powerful descriptions as 'left arm' and 'head.' In case you're wondering, there are no special powers, no tricky combinations, and no reason to practice restraint or planning. You can play cards to block damage, or play them to cause it. That's it. That's all the decision-making you'll find. The game was evidently made for Iron Maiden fans coming down from three-day amphetamine benders, and so it tries to keep it simple, for the stupid.

To be completely fair, I should point out that there are advanced rules for Zombie Mosh, in case your thrasher idiot friends get tired of simply putting down cards that all do the same thing, and decide to wander off to find something to break. In the advanced version, you flip over your game board, and now your arms and legs fall off slower, unless they fall off easier. Yes, that is the advanced version. The optional rules, if you will.

I'm afraid this isn't a very long review tonight. The problem is, there's not much to the game I'm reviewing. I could spend a couple more paragraphs making jokes about junkies, zombies and electric guitars, but that would just be padding the review for word count. Rather than jibber for the sake of jabber, I'll just say that I cannot envision any circumstance in which I would want to play Zombie Mosh, ever again.

I've got a few more games from Bucephalus that I haven't played yet, including a remake of Dwarven Dig that I can't wait to try. I hate to pass judgment on the publisher before I've played them all, and I am really hoping Timestream will be enjoyable with a group. Because I'm starting to wonder if we ought to start a pool for the day Bucephalus closes up the shop, and I hate to see that happen.

Summary

Pros:
Pictures of zombies
Little cardboard skull counters you could probably use for something else

Cons:
Lame game play (and calling it 'game play' is being pretty forgiving already)
Ridiculous theme could have been interesting, but is instead dumber than a box of granite chips
Advanced rules are a complete waste
I would have to be badly brain-damaged to enjoy this game - and I like games where people die
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think if I was still 14 and listening to Anthrax and Slayer (not that I don't still enjoy digging them out occassionally) this game might appeal.

However I'm now 36 and just the title of the game makes me cringe.

Do the kids of today still mosh in the traditional sense?

Or has the term evolved into a newer more streamlined version of moshing?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
420 rules
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You so had me with the title, to bad this is another dud of a game. At least it is not a Reiner game so you should not have people whining about you not liking the game - I like the stoner jokes and all , but the jokes about the tards make me laugh more ( I am such a bad person arn´t I ) laugh

Are the pictures of the Zombies at least cool?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, Tom, the zombie pictures are pretty punk rock. They kind of all look like Eddie.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
Market positioning is important for a game company. It's crucial to identify yourself with a specific kind of game. For example, when you think 'Fantasy Flight' you think of a different kind of game than when you think, 'Rio Grande.' Bucephalus Games obviously is aware of this, because as far as I can tell, they're trying to position themselves as the company that makes games you won't want to play more than once.
...

I've got a few more games from Bucephalus that I haven't played yet, including a remake of Dwarven Dig that I can't wait to try. I hate to pass judgment on the publisher before I've played them all, and I am really hoping Timestream will be enjoyable with a group. Because I'm starting to wonder if we ought to start a pool for the day Bucephalus closes up the shop, and I hate to see that happen.


Sad but true. If you haven't already, you might look at some of their other games, below. They're not great, but not total crap either:
- Living Labyrinth: it's light, random, and somewhat chaotic, but might be fun once in a while (for younger folks)
- Playbook Football: I HATED it, but that might be just because I'm not a fan of football (American, in this case) and really know very little about it. I can imagine, however, that football fans might find it much more fun, and the components are certainly attractive.
- Kachina: the best game in their lineup that I've played so far. It's really an abstract tile-laying Qwirkle-like game that I think would work best with two, but I need to play it some more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in with a recommendation for Kachina. They had a demo of a couple of different games at my FLGS and this one really stood out. Michelangelo was also fun with a goodly sized group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have Kachina. I'm hoping it's awesome. I have played:

Toboggans of Doom
Living Labyrinth
Suicide Bomber
Rorschach

and now Zombie Mosh. I would really like to find a stand-out winner from Bucephalus, but so far it's just not in the cards. My favorite of theirs so far is Suicide Bomber, and I probably won't play that again.

The reviews for most of them are here. I never got around to copying the Living Labyrinth review over from Drake's Flames - but I agree that it's light, diverting, and shallow, but possibly interesting. Not enough that I want to play again, but not bad if it's all you have.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:

The game was evidently made for Iron Maiden fans coming down from three-day amphetamine benders, and so it tries to keep it simple, for the stupid.



I'm confused as to whether or not this is a crack at Maiden fans or amphetamine users.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
I'm afraid this isn't a very long review tonight.
No, no, don't apologize. Really.

VixenTorGames wrote:
I hate to pass judgment on the publisher before I've played them all
and yet you say:
VixenTorGames wrote:
. . .trying to position themselves as the company that makes games you won't want to play more than once. The latest trainwreck from Bucephalus is called Zombie Mosh


VixenTorGames wrote:
I would have to be badly brain-damaged to enjoy this game
You realize you are offending a lot of people with your "retard" jokes and comments like this, and yet you continue to make them. A few might think they're funny, but most people don't. Please consider learning how to critique in an intelligent manner.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dingus, you are my new favorite BGG nerd. I know I'm doing this right when I get some anal-retentive mama's boy so riled up that he starts to stalk me. What did you do, just pull up my user name, run down my reviews, and find something that bothered you in every one?

I can't possibly thank you enough. You're about to be famous, brother.
11 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Admin note:

As a general reminder, users are always expected to express themselves in a courteous and respectful way. BGG policy is to issue a warning on a first offense and to follow future offenses with temporary posting suspensions of increasing length. Rather than responding to content that you find offensive, please consider flagging any offending posts as violations by using the icon. This serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Finally, in extreme circumstances you can hide all content posted by a user from your view by using the Hide User's Posts option under the drop down menu next to the geekmail icon of the username block. Please remember that making any public mention of who is on your Hide List is considered a zero tolerance offense.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, forget this reply as I shouldn't have written it. My apologies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.