Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Hoover
United States
Otisville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Kingdoms and really enjoy it. The theme of Atlanteon is interesting. Is it different enough to warrant purchasing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, apart from being by the same designer and being tile laying games, the two game are almost nothing alike.

I find that Atlanteon is a solid, quick little two-player abstract. However, the theme has almost nothing to do with the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Jornet
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games, and now I'm "cleaning" my collection and decided to sell Kingdoms instead Atlanteon.

Many people will say that I am crazy... these people only look on the BGG rating and think that Atlanteon has lower BGG score than Kingdoms.

I, fortunately, look other criterions:

- I usually play with my wife (then I don't need a game that scales from 2 to 4 players like Kingdoms).
- I love fast abstract and dry games (Atlanteon is really abstract and dry).
- I don't consider important the art or the theme (in Atlanteon the art is awful and the theme is so pasted -like other great Knizias-). I prefer a good mechanic... and Atlanteon has an OLD mechanic but this works pretty well (IMHO).
- I don't like the maths involved in Kingdoms mechanics and the scoring.
- I like so much the tension on Atlanteon. Sometimes it reminds me so tense game endings like in Battle Line.
- Finally, Atlanteon requires less space on the shelf. This is also a plus for me.

These are my thoughs on keeping Atlanteon over Kingdoms in my collection. Finally I think that Atlanteon is underrated because FF gamers look more for a theme than a mechanic. If you like dry abstracts (Ingenious like games) that could be played fast for 2 players... believe me, Atlanteon is a true gem (specially if you get it cheap)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.