Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

FITS» Forums » Reviews

Subject: FITS fits my gaming style perfectly (yes, that pathetic pun was intended) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read and heard information about FITS, I had a feeling it would be a game I would really like. It raced to the top of my wishlist because I have such an affinity for puzzles and games that involve puzzles in some way. I tried tracking it down online and at my local game store with little success. But, as I often do, I was checking the game shelves at a local toy store on a whim. Sure enough they had a whole row of copies just sitting there waiting for me to buy one. There was no question in my mind that it was coming home with me, and later that day we broke it out for the first test run. But was I getting my hopes up too high? Read on...

What do you get with FITS? In the box you get a rulebook, 4 slanted board holders with covers, 8 double-sided puzzle boards (2 in each color,) 4 starting cards, 16 building cards, and 64 puzzle pieces (16 in each color.)

How does FITS work? Each player is given a board holder, their 2 puzzle boards, their 16 playing pieces and a randomly-selected starting-piece card. All players start with board #1 and slide the starting piece on the card they received down to the bottom of their board.

Once each player has placed their start piece, a player draws a card from the building card deck. Each player places the piece pictured on this card on their board, making sure to slide it down from the top. You are not allowed to slide a piece to the left or right, it must go straight from the top to wherever it stops (at the base of the board, or on another piece.) The player can choose to pass on the piece, but they will not get to use it again in the round.

Play continues in this fashion, flipping a card and placing that tile (or passing). When the card comes up with your starting piece you just miss a turn. The round is done when the 16th card has been flipped and all pieces have been placed or passed. Then points are scored, and players clear their boards and move onto the next board. After the fourth round, the player with the highest score wins the game. Here is how each board is scored:

Board #1: One point is scored for each full horizontal row (there are 12 rows,) and one point is lost for each dot that is still showing.
Board #2: There are some white dots with numbers in them. For each white dot that is showing at the end of the round you gain the number of points written on it, and one point is lost for each colored dot that is still showing.
Board #3: Once again the white dots with numbers are scored if they are showing, and a point is lost for colored dots, but there are also some black dots that take away 5 points for each one that is showing.
Board #4: There are 10 white dots with 5 pairs of symbols. If both symbols in a pair are showing at the end of the round you score 3 points, but if only one of the pair is showing you lose 3 points. And, of course, you lose a point for each colored dot that is showing.

What does Blott think of FITS? Usually I try to keep my expectations low so that I won't be disappointed, but in this case even my high expectations were met. FITS is one that I have the urge to bring out every time we play games because I always feel like I want to do better than the last time. It's been a huge hit with all our family and it is one that my wife regularly requests, which doesn't happen that often. This one will be making the rounds for quite a long time in our groups. I'm not usually one for expansions, but I see a lot of potential with this game, and I'll be lining up to get my own copies when they are made. And there is one more thing that I love about this game, you can play it solo and match your score against a chart in the rules to see how well you did.

Who will enjoy FITS? Although I admit that I'm fast becoming a big-time fan of FITS, I know that many people will not like this game. For starters, aside from matching up your scores, there is zero player interaction. There is also some luck in what order the pieces are selected. But the rules are so easy to learn and teach, and there is some great variety in the boards. I think that most non-gamers will love this game because almost everyone is familiar with Tetris, and therefore the rules of FITS are extremely intuitive. But gamers will also have something to enjoy, because you have to be very strategic in your tile-placement to score well. And, of course, if you like puzzles, this game is meant for you.

Any parting comments about FITS? I should probably take a moment to mention the component quality. The gameboards are nice thick cardboard, and the actual puzzle tiles are nice strong plastic pieces. Although the board holders aren't the thickest plastic, they have a nice compartment inside to store the tiles, and you can store both boards in there as well (although the cover doesn’t close very tightly.) They even provide nice foam feet for the board holders so they won’t move around too easily on the table. Like many of the greatest games, FITS leaves me thinking "why didn't anyone think of this before?" I'm glad that Knizia did think of it, and I'll be gladly playing it for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that's more alliteration than a pun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. My edition of Fire in the Sky is WAY different than yours. Are you sure you are playing it right????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
kronlin wrote:
I would say that's more alliteration than a pun.

Either way, it's pretty pathetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.