Subject: Run out of markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us played a Gondoliere card but had no markers left. Is he allowed to take it from a pillar on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the very same question myself tonight. We played that you could, but something official would be nice.

Same question arose with the pitch dipper, the wife had a couple of markers that got isolated and then impossible to build to, so they were stuck forever, unless you could grab one you had previously placed when running out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Willcox
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that if you run out of markers then you CANNOT remove them from the board unless a tile is placed over your markers. As each player has a limited supply we thought that managing that supply to the best of your ability was part of the challenge of the game! We may be wrong but we enjoy it.

I suppose that if you ran out (or saw that this was a risk) you could play the Lawyer and build a tile over your own markers. You'd receive no extra points for the markers but would at least have some markers to use later on. I think that my wife has sometimes held on to a small tile in case this happens as they are often the easiest ones to fit in later on in the game. She has then folowed this up with the saboteur or arsonist (I forget which) to then create a bigger space to tempt people to build on and it has her recently liberated markers there already (she tends to win quite a lot!).

We really enjoy this game and it hits the table quite frequently. We're thinking of upgrading to the translated cards via Artscow - has anyone else done this? How did they turn out?

All the best
Paul
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could really see it ruled both ways, but you're probably right Paul. It would have taken Deb about three turns of doing nothing but blowing up to free her pieces though.

Truth be told, I wasn't that impressed with the Artscow deck. The initial scans just weren't of high enough quality, sharp enough, etc. They're functional, easily read, overhand shuffle just fine. They're just not pretty.

There's lots of blank space in the deck, I'd recommend you use those to print extras of the cards you expect to use a lot (for us, the 2 player cards). They get passed back and forth enough, we had a few collisions where we both reached for them at the same time.

My other decks have been great, so it's not an Artscow thing. Decktet was extremely nice, Battle for Hill 218 came up freakin' gorgeous (used art based on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/38550). Hill 218 came up so nice, it looks like a professional print job, a purchased deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut Happel
Germany
Rheinland- Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer: Run out of markers
Social Work Dad wrote:
We've always played that if you run out of markers then you CANNOT remove them from the board unless a tile is placed over your markers. As each player has a limited supply we thought that managing that supply to the best of your ability was part of the challenge of the game! We may be wrong but we enjoy it.

That is the way the rules where meant to be by Christian Fiore and me.
We considered it to be challenging to manage the supply of your markers and try to isolate those of your opponents, so that they have to "work" with less markers and have fewer chances to score. devil

cu, Knut Happel.
www.spielziel.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.