Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After having to re edit it three times, episode 37 is up.

Due to the delay some of the content here is a bit past its freshness date, but it should still be of interest to our listeners.

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=505363

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you identify a game that reaches beyond the box to be enjoyable? I'd say any time the play group has major impact on how much fun you have. Yeah, I know the play group always has an impact, but say you have two groups that you normally enjoy playing with if one group really enjoys a game and the other hates it, then perhaps you brought your own fun. Is that a fair assesment or is it really true with every game?

What games have you played with game play that trancends the rules set?

I've had a few -

Werewolf/Mafia, certainly trancends the rules.

Talisman, like most roll and move games, this becomes a very boring game if you play to win. However when I first played it, the rest of the game was novel enough to keep me interested. Now days it's about playing with friends or family, so even when the game gets boring the players can be a source of endless entertainment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few games that play better with certain groups or when played in a certain attitude. Chess wouldn't be much of a game played in a party spirit, likewise - many Faidutti games aren't as fun when played in a brooding silence as players angle for a win. What you prefer in terms of style is an individual thing, but is also down to the dynamics of the people you play with. I love having fun when I play games, I like games that make me think as well, but I am not a huge fan of games where deliberately manipulating other players is an encouraged strategy, or gamers who believe playing the metagame to win the game is better than collectively enjoying the experience. I think any game can 'transcend' the rules set - but that it needs to played in the right frame of mind and with a fun group of people.

Some games that are definately in this genre though are Shadows over Camelot, Tales of the Arabian Nights and anything by Bruno Faidutti!

Another few games where the experience is far better than the rules might suggest are Bohnanza (my extended family loves this one), and The 3 Commandments (which can run from hilarious, uproarous fun to tedious and frustrating - dependning on the group (and the amount of alcohol consumed)).

If I were to suggest some mechanics that tend toward these style of games I think 'hidden identities', 'roles' and 'player powers' are all aspects that can make a game more like this. Can anyone think of any more? I also think it is important for a game to be thematic!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys

cool Episode as always!

Thanks & greetings from Switzerland!

3b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes the Metagame is what ruins the game for me, I dont play _that_ much and when I go to some meetings there are some alliances wich are verey repetitive from game to game, something like

- Can we ally just like last time and crush all of them?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Sometimes the Metagame is what ruins the game for me, I dont play _that_ much and when I go to some meetings there are some alliances wich are verey repetitive from game to game, something like

- Can we ally just like last time and crush all of them?
Great point! That's one of the reasons there are some pairs of people I won't play games with. As much as I like Diplomacy - if two people start the game planning to be allied they can screw the whole thing from the start.

Often there are Husbands and Wives that you can't play certain games with, because it's a brave brave man that will cross some women - even in a game. (I'm lucky, Connie and I look at games a break from all the rules of being married. If she can stab me to her benefit, she might as well, and I can do the same.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.