Subject: Elegance, thy name is Palago - a review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
If you like games like Trax and Tantrix, you'll really like Palago. Even if you don't like those games, you owe it to yourself to check out this two-player gem.

Simple - there is only one kind of tile. On your turn, place two tiles such that a) the first is adjacent to the array, b) the second is adjacent to at least the first, and c) all colors match. No forced spaces or compulsory plays to keep track of.

Accessible - the goal of making a closed group in your color that contains at least one arch is easy to grasp.

Appealing - the organic shapes, swirls, and squiggles that arise during a game are just pleasing to behold. A bucket of Palago tiles wouldn't be out of place in an educational supply store as a pattern-building/ math manipulative.

Deep - from such simple ingredients arises a subtle and challenging game. Mr. Browne's thorough analysis of the first few moves (linked on the main game page) shows how the decision tree can get very bushy after only a few plays.

Palago has the feel of a thing discovered rather than invented, which is a testament to the creative power of its inventor. Thank you, Cameron Browne!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me that I have to quickly order a physical copy of this as it is easily my new favorite on boardspace.net for online abstract goodness! : D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.