$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
348 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Design Contest - Themed Rummy Contest Judged by Mike Fitzgerald - Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
I will start with a 200.00 geek gold prize pool. If I receive any more gold over the course of this contest, it will be added to the prize pool. 50% of the pool will go to the first place winner, 30% to the second place winner, and 20% to the third place winner - whatever those amounts may be at the time the contest ends. So, at the moment, the prizes are 100.00 for first, 60.00 for second, and 40.00 for third. Hopefully, it will be much more by the end of the contest.

The first place winner will also receive a $50 gift certificate to the on-line game store of their choice. The second place winner will receive a $30 gift certificate and the third place winner will get a $20 gift certificate.

Entry Thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3867905#3867905
Discussion Thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3867888#3867888

The RULES are as follows:

1. Make a new and original themed rummy card game for two (2) players. Merely tacking a theme on to any traditional or previously published rummy game is not a valid entry. It must contain some additional original game mechanism to make it a unique game. You can have cards with special actions, melds with special abilities, wild cards, or any variety of additional game mechanisms.

2. The game can have more players but it also must be playable by two players. The game can have adjustments to accommodate the different number of players (for example: different number of players receive different number of cards to start).

3. The game must be a rummy game. For the purpose of this contest, that means it must have:

3a. Melds – Three or more cards of either Runs (consecutive sequence of three or more cards of the same suit) and/or Sets (cards that are identical or of the same rank).

3b. Draw – Cards are taken from an un-dealt pile OR picked up when thrown away by an opponent. This happens at the beginning of a player’s turn.

3c. Discard – Cards are thrown away from your hand. This happens at the end of a player’s turn.

3d. Laying Melds – During their turns, the players may put a meld on the table.

3e. Layoffs – During their turns, the players may put cards on the table that go with your opponent’s melds.

4. A shut out mechanism is not required but Mike Fitzgerald often uses them and they are encouraged. For example, in the Al Capone Mystery Rummy, if a player has all 8 Al Capone cards on the table, then they immediately win that hand through a shut out.

5. If the game has not been physically published (either by you or a game company) before the start date of this contest, it is eligible. If your game exists but is only on Artscow, a website, or BGG, it is eligible. The game must be a physical card game. Computer programmed versions are not allowed.

6. If Mike Fitzgerald has already played your game, it is not eligible.

7. If you wish, you may incorporate poker chips, coins, dice, glass beads, stones, buttons, games boards, meeples, cubes, pawns, pen & paper, etc. into your design. Heck, add anything (within reason) that works as long as the rummy mechanism is the major focus of the game. Live ammo, flammable substances, livestock, combustion engines and anything that is illegal to send through the US postal system will not be permitted (yes, this is my attempt at a joke but I still will not permit this stuff). laugh

8. You may provide a player aid. But it is not mandatory.

9. Your entry must be themed. Keep in mind that Mike Fitzgerald will be the celebrity judge in this contest… so you might consider a mystery theme. Having said that, any theme is acceptable. Please make an effort to integrate your unique mechanisms with the theme.

10. To enter the contest, post your game on the entry thread via text or link. An entry must have Artscow files to make the deck, Artscow instructions for printing the deck, a list of additional required components, and game rules in English. If any of these is missing, then the entry is not eligible. (Note: I am not affiliated with Artscow – I just prefer it. Having all the cards in one place will just make it easier to print the judges’ decks). The artwork can be clip art or original. Actually, I am not going to be the copyright police (on the art or theme). All that I care about is that you have the proper Artscow files, Artscow instructions and game rules by the deadline.

11. You may submit as many entries as you wish.

12. There is no limit on how many game designers can work on an entry. They should all be listed in the entry, though.

13. If someone legally objects to an entry for any reason, then that will be the submitting contestant’s problem. Entries with any legal dispute will be immediately disqualified.

14. Do not exceed 108 cards (2 Artscow decks) in your game. (Note: In Artscow, each deck (of 54) of cards must have the same back. If you are using 2 decks for your game, the two decks can have the same backs or different backs. You cannot have different backs within the same Artscow deck.)

15. The contestants will NOT have to print out the Artscow decks for the contest judges. They are only responsible for providing the proper Artscow files, Artscow instructions and game rules. I will follow your Artscow instructions to the letter for the printing (so you might want to test it for accuracy). If a contestant or anyone else wants a deck for themselves, they will have to print it out and pay for it themselves.

16. The contest starts NOW (the moment this is posted).

17. The deadline for entries will be Monday, December 7, 2009 at 6 am Central Time. You may begin posting entries anytime before the deadline. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances.

18. Approximately one month after the deadline (January 16, 2010) the first round of judging will select the Top 5 entries. The number of first round judges appointed will depend on how many entries we get. (Note: If you are interested in being a first round judge, please contact me privately. The judges will remain anonymous to avoid judge tampering.) The results of that judging will be posted on the game entry thread.

19. One month after that, Saturday (February 13, 2010) the top 3 winners (chosen by Mike Fitzgerald and his hand-selected helper judges) will be announced. The results of that judging will be posted on the game entry thread.

20. This is intended to be a friendly little contest. I would very much like to keep it that way. No promises of any kind (for example: of publication, feedback, eligibility or legal stuff) are expressed or implied. I am the sole party responsible for this competition. If you have a gripe, question, comment, or anything else… please come to me first. If there is any huge uncontained drama, I will simply close it down. Don’t make me pull this contest over!

21. If you have a comment for Mike Fitzgerald, post it on this discussion thread. I notify him of each comment. If any contestant contacts him before the completion of this contest, it will be considered judge tampering and they will be disqualified. I really want to make sure that he has fun doing this – OK? Please, please, please… don’t bother Mike Fitzgerald… he is being a great guy for volunteering to do this.

22. I am not eligible to enter the competition. Contest judges are also not eligible to enter the competition.

23. There will be many related mini-contests connected with this larger contest so please subscribe to the entry and discussion threads and stay tuned.

24. Every entry will receive a microbadge. I recommend that you pick up either the "Mike Fitzgerald Fan" or "Mystery Rummy Fan" badges. Hey, you are big boys and girls... pick out whatever you want!

25. If you have any questions about this contest, or its rules, please post them on this discussion thread. I will answer you as soon as I can.

Have fun and good luck,

Cate

Edits: I am editing for formatting. I don't know how all the hard returns got in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
On the entry thread, this was posted:

metzgerism wrote:
That's a lot of rules - any way to pare that down?

Also a lot of time to come up with something

Thank you for your question! I am impressed and delighted that the first one appeared so quickly!

I hope that you do not mind that I put my reply here. I want to make the entries easy to find on the other thread.

Yeah, it is a lot of rules. This is also a big contest - lots of work and big prizes for BGG. I just wanted to be as clear as I could from the beginning.

I am offering lots of lead time because the games need to be created, play tested and then decks designed on Artscow. This is no small task.

Also, there are some who will want to compete but they need to research the Mystery Rummys before they can create their own game. I wanted to give plenty of time so that everyone can create an awesome entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Geekmail me if you are interested.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn fine idea Cate. I'm off to find my thinking cap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzza wrote:
Damn fine idea Cate. I'm off to find my thinking cap.

I am delighted to hear that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cate108 wrote:
23. There will be many related mini-contests connected with this larger contest so please subscribe to the entry and discussion threads and stay tuned.

Let's start out with the first mini-contest.

Mystery Rummy Mini-Contest #1

Please thumb this thread. A name will be randomly selected (i.e. put all the names in a hat and draw one) from those who thumb this thread (not the individual posts). That lucky winner will get a $30 gift certificate from the on-line game retailer of their choice. Why $30? Because that will get you a copy of the reprinted Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper plus Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde or the new Bonnie and Clyde. There should even be enough to pay for shipping.

Thanks! This is very exciting! wow

Edit: I forgot to mention that this mini-contest #1 ends on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009 at 8 am Central Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a cool resource called the Mystery Rummy Primer:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

I heard about it from:

Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

By the way, I want to thank Sean Ross for his inspiration for the contest and suggestions for writing the rules. He has been a wonderful mentor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of sounding like I am talking to myself, here are some more resources for folks who want to get up to speed on the themed rummys for this contest:

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper

Mystery Rummy: Murders in the Rue Morgue

Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde

Wyatt Earp

Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld

Bonnie and Clyde

and the distant cousin of the mystery rummys:

History's Mysteries Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an amazing contest and for it to be judged by Mike Fitzgerald is even more impressive.

I would just like to say that I really love Jack the Ripper. I just recently got Rue Morgue, Al Capone and Jekyll & Hyde in the mail and look forward to trying them all out and playing them as much as Jack the Ripper, much to my GF's dismay.

As you know, I will have at least one entry! I was inspired by the Mystery Rummy games to make my own version before this contest appeared, as you can see from my current rules posting: HERE. I will probably refine that entry as best as I can rather than try for more than one entry depending on what time permits.

Good luck to everyone, and I can't wait to see what is produced from this contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
This is an amazing contest and for it to be judged by Mike Fitzgerald is even more impressive.

I would just like to say that I really love Jack the Ripper. I just recently got Rue Morgue, Al Capone and Jekyll & Hyde in the mail and look forward to trying them all out and playing them as much as Jack the Ripper, much to my GF's dismay.

As you know, I will have at least one entry! I was inspired by the Mystery Rummy games to make my own version before this contest appeared, as you can see from my current rules posting: HERE. I will probably refine that entry as best as I can rather than try for more than one entry depending on what time permits.

Good luck to everyone, and I can't wait to see what is produced from this contest!

Excellent. When you are ready, post your game on the entry thread.

I will not print the games on Artscow until the end of entry period in December. So if you want to fiddle and improve your designs, rules or whatever feel free. So, don't worry that your entry locks you in when you post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun. I know I have a few Rummy game design concepts laying around in my piles of game design notes. Now to find them and dust them off and dial them in... I've got some great themes in mind too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cate,

Are hexagonal cards allowed?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Cate

You have your first entry! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3868719#3868719

I believe this is eligible, since it is not published, just available as a print and play & uses traditional rummy mechanics with a twist - real time melding.

Please let me know if I need anything else to enter?

Cheers
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running it Cate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runehardt wrote:
Sounds like fun. I know I have a few Rummy game design concepts laying around in my piles of game design notes. Now to find them and dust them off and dial them in... I've got some great themes in mind too.

Love to hear that. I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idmonfish wrote:
Hi Cate

You have your first entry! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3868719#3868719

I believe this is eligible, since it is not published, just available as a print and play & uses traditional rummy mechanics with a twist - real time melding.

Please let me know if I need anything else to enter?

Cheers
David

You are entered. Nice entry... Thanks for setting the bar high with your well written explanations.

Your microbadge is on the way. I am paying the gnome overtime to make an extra nice one for the first entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isamoor wrote:
Thanks for running it Cate!

Another high quality entry! WOW! What a great start!

The gnomes will be shipping off your badge any minute now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice contest I've never designed a game like this, but I just might give this a try... A couple of questions:

Quote:
3a. Melds – Three or more cards of either Runs (consecutive sequence of three or more cards of the same suit) and/or Sets (cards that are identical or of the same rank).

How strict is this rule? Does it imply cards have to have ranks and suits? Or can sets be cards that share some other characteristic? Also, does it have to have both runs and melds, or can the game just use one of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who want to try the entries... I see that Artscow is having a special on playing cards:

http://www.artscow.com/promote/fcfs.aspx

Again, I am not affiliated with Artscow. It is just a great way to get cards printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
Nice contest I've never designed a game like this, but I just might give this a try... A couple of questions:

Quote:

How strict is this rule? Does it imply cards have to have ranks and suits? Or can sets be cards that share some other characteristic? Also, does it have to have both runs and melds, or can the game just use one of them?

Good questions! Thanks for asking them so that they can be clarified for everyone.

You can use runs or sets or both. It is up to you.

Traditional ranks and suits are not required. Make up your own.

If cards can be grouped by any characteristic (symbols, colors, whatever), then that is considered a set.

A good way to start your research into this is to check out the cards on the mystery rummys listed above. You might also check out the cards in our early entries. You will see some interesting sets.

Good luck... I would love to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Camacho
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is SO cool!
I love the Mystery Rummy games. I've never tried to devise a game of my own - but I play-test NoisyCrow's. I'm going to try my hand at this!
Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wzlkitty wrote:
This is SO cool!
I love the Mystery Rummy games. I've never tried to devise a game of my own - but I play-test NoisyCrow's. I'm going to try my hand at this!
Game on!

Come on aboard. There is room for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camb wrote:
Hi Cate,

Are hexagonal cards allowed?

Cameron

I see that Artscow makes traditionally shaped cards as well as round and heart shaped ones. You can use those, no problem. Maybe print hexagonals on the round cards and use them?

The thing is, there will not be a lot of time to hand create everyone's cards from scratch. That is why artcow is such a good option. If you can make it on Artscow, we will accept it.

Does that answer your question? Please write if there is more to discuss on this topic. Thanks for asking!

Edit: Heard => Heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
My last prototype achieved first-draft status last night.

I believe that, since 7am today, I have been brainstorming an Alhambra-Dominion-Catan Card Game-Rummy hybrid. That's a lot of games to reference, which leads me to believe that this could be something remarkably good, and would potentially fit this contest.

Hrm...time to definitely pare it down

Wow, that is GREAT! Sounds like you are working on something very innovative. Is this a new direction for rummy games?

I can't wait to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's less about innovation, and more about an idea that slapped me in the face all of a sudden and I had to act upon it. I stayed up a couple hours later than I should have after such a stressful work day, and basically had all the general concepts and scoring put to paper by the time I went to sleep.

I'd say that the "rummy" portion is minimal, and can be defined a lot more effectively as set collection. The influence from Alhambra and Dominion will be clear, but since I've only played those games once each, I wonder how much I am actually borrowing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
   Conserve energy:    Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules nearly complete! I could use some help on the graphic design portion, though. I'm terrible at that. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.