Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played 2 player, but...

I think it would be OK if you limit the board space. There is a lot of room on the board and part of the scoring is being able to force someone to use pillars you've marked when building. With only 2 players, I imagine you could play an entire game without using other people's pillars. Then it's more of a race than anything else.

I haven't looked at the board lately, but if you eliminate maybe 33% of the board spaces, you can probably create an interesting matchup in the middle of the board. You might need to remove some of the pillars from the game to keep the pillar to spaces balance.

Other than that, I think you'd just end up with people playing on their own sides of the board and it'd be sort of dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just fine as it is with 2 players.

The Canal acts as a natural magnet, with the gondolier player trying to play near it a lot, and the other player trying to get his tokens in there to scoop up points.

We haven't found that we're off in our own little areas at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I think it's just fine as it is with 2 players.

The Canal acts as a natural magnet, with the gondolier player trying to play near it a lot, and the other player trying to get his tokens in there to scoop up points.

We haven't found that we're off in our own little areas at all.

I'll second this. thumbsup

I just experienced the game last week for the very first time against a friend of mine. We felt it works very well with two--I'd say it falls into the category of titles that become much more tactical head-to-head (e.g. Caylus) versus so many others that offer two-player variants, but then aren't as strong in actual play.

There is a big incentive to interfere with your opponent's plans, or they will just run rampant on points. At the very least, you're going to be placing your pillar markers in the areas they are developing to either deter them elsewhere or force them to give you points as well. The competition for the gondolier requires calculated timing, too, because there were a number of times due to turn order that it was stolen away right before the previous owner's Master Builder action, denying them the bonus for building on the canal (and potentially giving the bonus to the other player). Finally, knowing exactly what other cards your opponent holds at the beginning of every turn makes the Spy all that more useful if there is a specific card you need/want.

I look forward to trying this with more players, but I am already impressed with the scalability at two. With any number, though, I can't imagine this game ever feeling like multiplayer solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game multiplayer and with two now, and it does work very well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.