$10.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Endeavor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Being awarded Governor card after passing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread Jarratt states that discarding happens immediately when you pass, not at the end of the turn. In this other thread Carl states that you discard when you pass and then check again at the end of the turn (for the obscure case where you are awarded a Governor's card after having passed already).

It seems like the game is intended to be played one way and then there's this exception to the rules to cover an odd circumstance, and it seems to muddy an otherwise clear ruleset. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, I know I can play the game however I want. I'm not afraid of house-rules, but I tend to only use them when it improves the game, and here I just want a clean/clear set of rules, and I think it would be cleaner to either discard when you pass or at the end of the turn, not both.

And I know Carl has clearly stated that you do both, but I'd like him (respectfully) to reconsider. Where the game felt clean before, now (in this one area) it feels a little fiddly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just check the hand limit at the end of MY turn, when i pass.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fs1973 wrote:
I just check the hand limit at the end of MY turn, when i pass.


I feel this is in the spirit of the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would submit that you are confusing the rule and the mechanic.

The rule is that the hand limit applies except when you are capable of performing actions. The mechanic is the timing of the check and discard.

The rule is, in my opinion, clean and clear, and you can houserule the mechanic to whatever works for your group and keeps to the rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abbadingo wrote:
I would submit that you are confusing the rule and the mechanic.

The rule is that the hand limit applies except when you are capable of performing actions. The mechanic is the timing of the check and discard.

The rule is, in my opinion, clean and clear, and you can houserule the mechanic to whatever works for your group and keeps to the rule.

Couldn't have said it better. That's exactly right about how clear the rule is, but an important thing to note is that there is a significant timing effect of the discards when a person passes, as it may make a card available that the next player would take, or cover the very card he or she wanted to take. This has happened in several of our games. On the other hand, I don't think I have seen a governor card awarded to someone after they passed at a point in the game that the governor card would push them over the hand limit. I've never seen it, but it seems obvious to me that they would then have to make a discard, since they have already passed and are now over the hand limit. I think it is a lot of fretting over a scenario that is extremely unlikely to happen, and we know from the designers exactly how they would deal with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In this thread Jarratt states that discarding happens immediately when you pass, not at the end of the turn. In this other thread Carl states that you discard when you pass and then check again at the end of the turn (for the obscure case where you are awarded a Governor's card after having passed already).


Both of your links seem to point to the same thread. Which thread did Carl comment in?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Both of your links seem to point to the same thread. Which thread did Carl comment in?


Sorry 'bout that. Fixed the original post and here's the link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/434265
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
How could someone be "awarded" a Governor card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Governor card goes to the person who has the majority on the track once the track is full (or wins the tiebreaker).

Thus, Purple could ship and fill the last spot, but if Red still had the most, he would be "awarded" the governor card, even though it's not his turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.