Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been a user on BGG for a few weeks now, and am fairly new to the whole boardgaming scene, but I have discovered geekmodding and wanted to share it with any other new users out there. This is not intended to be a complete and comprehensive guide to Geekmodding - for this, go to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekMod
What I do hope to do is help some newbies like me

Three good reasons why to Geekmod

1. Broadening your horizons. Being new to boardgames (see my profile for games owned,) I am open to suggestions as to which game to get next. If you throw yourself into the geekmodding and do more than just images, you will get to read about all sorts of games that you might otherwise never come across - a good session report or review might plant seeds in your head that will lead you to a game you may never of heard about before. The images themselves are actually fun to look at, and again there will be the occasional thing that will catch your eye.

2. You get to earn the most precious of all resources - geekgold! It's a fairly slow process, earning 0.01geekgold per accepted image, and 0.05geekgold per declined image, but it all adds up. I have earnt my first whole geekgold in the last few days, and learnt plenty along the way.

3. It gets you involved with the community. My initial impressions are that BGG is a great community to be part of, and a really valuable resource. I have been on receive for the most part, asking questions and getting info from other users, so I think it is only right that I should give something back to BGG and feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Where to Geekmod?

BGG GeekMod: http://boardgamegeek.com/geekmod

There is also an RPG geekmod page: http://rpg.geekdo.com/geekmod This seems to have more stuff that needs moderating at any given time allowing you to get geekgold quicker, but I found it to be much less interesting than BGG geekmod, so I don't use it. If you're into RPGs though, go for your life.

As the title suggests, this is a new user's guide. I am a new user, so go easy on me if something like this already exists, or it's in the wrong place or I'm stating the bleeding obvious.

Thanks,

Jenks
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

Quote:
you will get to read about all sorts of games that you might otherwise never come across - a good session report or review might plant seeds in your head that will lead you to a game you may never of heard about before. The images themselves are actually fun to look at, and again there will be the occasional thing that will catch your eye.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! Broadening your gaming horizons is an aspect I often forget to mention, but it's really true. When you see an interesting image or report come by, it's easy enough to open a tab to the game and look at it after you're done modding.

Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I am a newby too. Your article is very informative and helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Great write-up! You've just been pinned!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan H.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered modding today. Got my first .06 GG and learned about a new game. How many votes does an image or article need in order to be approved/declined?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Allan,

I have no idea! In my experience it never takes longer than a day for things to be approved/declined, with pictures taking less time than, for example, files.

The real reward, as you have discovered, is finding new games. But, we all like geekgold, so here's some for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
Allan,

I have no idea! In my experience it never takes longer than a day for things to be approved/declined, with pictures taking less time than, for example, files.

The real reward, as you have discovered, is finding new games. But, we all like geekgold, so here's some for you.

Files aren't done through the normal geekmod, for various good reasons. This usually means they're a lot slower.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Jenkachu wrote:
Allan,

Files aren't done through the normal geekmod, for various good reasons. This usually means they're a lot slower.

B>

You are quite correct. I meant "Articles." It's generally a bit too much effort for most people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the actual vote totals needed to accept or reject are not stated to discourage people from gaming the system. However, I think it has been stated that it takes more to reject an item than to accept it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan H.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
Allan,

Thanks so much. Next question: In my modding I'm roughly 80% accurate so far. How bad do you have to be for someone to step in and say something like, "Um, about your modding, yeah, thanks for your efforts. Um, do you have any questions or do you need some direction? We'd be happy to help you. In looking at your record, it seems that you are not exactly sure what you are doing. So, you need to improve or we'll pull the the plug on you"

Or does anyone even monitor modding skills?

Just wondering. What's to stop someone from just being a jerk and declining everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the best of my knowledge, no one has every been banned for inaccurate moderating. 80% is good.

Declining everything is a losing proposition since most items are accepted. Rapid-fire accepting or declining has resulted in a very few users being talked to by Admin, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for writing this. I am new here as well, first day in fact. I am off to check out geekmodding now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new user, I found this post quite useful. I've submitted some thing here on the geek, but haven't tried modding yet.

Can anyone here tell me specificall what is meant by 'Vote to Approve and Recommend'? Recommend for what?

And now back to saving up for an avatar...meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Can anyone here tell me specificall what is meant by 'Vote to Approve and Recommend'? Recommend for what?

It is voting to approve and giving it a thumbs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
gaming the system.

Unfortunately, there are already several ways to do that...

Wholesale posting of every card or miniature (which is already on the "don't do this" list, but happens anyway).

Endlessly resubmitting the same image that's been repeatedly rejected in hopes that it will get through THIS time.

Posting EVERY move in a long game to the galleries.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Posting EVERY move in a long game to the galleries.

That can actually be quite useful, to a point. I posted the first I-forget-how-many moves in a Laska game to demonstrate the rules. In the case of Laska, I was able to combine all the moves into a single image, one for a forum review, and an annotated version; so this was only one image and one file. But some games need much more resolution than Laska does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Well, then it belongs in the user's gallery and attached to a session report or review.

That's not policy, though it's a common opinion.

If the image stands by itself as useful, it should be approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
tscook wrote:
Well, then it belongs in the user's gallery and attached to a session report or review.

Over the years, I've seen several moderators agree with that opinion. That makes it close enough to policy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
no cigar though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
no cigar though...

::shrug::

Moderators represent the owners of the site. Several of the mods have expressed the same opinion about photos for reviews and session reports. I, personally, haven't seen a moderator post a contrary opinion.

Upper management has not clarified or contradicted them, so this opinion has at least their tacit approval.

Unless/until management posts a clarification, that's as official as it gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you might speak to the occasional sensible moderator, the overall defacto policy is illustrated by what is actually accepted. From this I deduce that the policy reads something like 'any old picture'

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official policy is stated in the submission guidelines and the moderation rules. Individual game components are prohibited; images meant for a session report are not prohibited. In any case, moderators are allowed to make exception to the rules. That has been endorsed at the highest level.

Perhaps we'll see policy changes or clarifications with future revisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will refer to the published rules as the "policy" and what I have derived from the empirical study of what gets accepted as the policy. The policy is as I have described, the "policy" does indeed have many rules which seem like excellent ideas.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mb
One of the reasons that we got a "personal gallery" for images back in 2007 was the fact that a lot of game galleries got cluttered by series of images for session reports.

This is the announcement post for the personal galleries :
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1481548#1481548

As you will see, images for session reports is one of the possible uses mentioned in Aldie's post.

Tall_Walt wrote:
tscook wrote:

If the image stands by itself as useful, it should be approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.