$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PK Torretto
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not want to be blacklisted as a spammer, therefore I am asking if the below is...

- PK Torretto
P.O.W.E.R. on BGG
P.O.W.E.R. the Military Tactical Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P O W E R wrote:
I do not want to be blacklisted as a spammer, therefore I am asking if the below is...

- PK Torretto
P.O.W.E.R. on BGG

If you're asking if the above is spam, it depends on how many places you posted it. I believe there's a forum where you can more properly make such posts than here. Perhaps this one...

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/31/boardgamegeek/press-releas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Torretto
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just mean to have the links included there in my "signature" whenever I post something. Not that I am running around posted it everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P O W E R wrote:
I just mean to have the links included there in my "signature" whenever I post something. Not that I am running around posted it everywhere.

Oh, I see. Personally, I think that's a bit much. I haven't noticed others doing similar things with their signatures here. I'm not sure if there is a rule about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would view that as spam.

Quote:
Advertising and other Self-Promotion

Promoting goods or services in which you have a personal stake is generally not permitted, with the following exceptions:

*A new product or service relevant to the topic of this site may be announced in a single post in the Press Releases forum.
*Active advertisers are given more leeway to promote goods and services they provide.
Forum moderators have the final say in determining whether a given post falls under one of these exceptions or if it is inappropriate.

IMO: If it's relevant then fair enough but including in every post seems too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oscal wrote:
Thats right I thumb my own post!!!

Great idea! Saves us from doing it... thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Meknik
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
P O W E R wrote:

- PK Torretto
P.O.W.E.R. on BGG
Hey, PK, in case it's my previous post that has you worried I'll just provide a bit more info on that particular situation.

Firstly, I am not an admin, or in any way an "official" of BGG, but I have been a regular here for some years. Chances are, if a post bothers me enough to flag it as spam, then other users are doing the same.

The very new user in question had started putting just-barely-relevant posts in a number of threads, with an advertising link at the bottom of each. They also posted here asking how to create a "signature" so that they didn't have to manually add it to every post. From what I saw of their posts, the primary purpose of them was to spread that link, and not to make meaningful contributions to the threads they were posting in. None of the posts individually would have drawn particular attention, but since that seemed to be all that user was doing it stood out. I replied to their post here to the effect that if they continued with that behaviour then it was likely that people would flag their posts as spam, and if enough people did that to enough of the user's posts then the user themself would likely be banned (which appears to have been what happened, but they may have deleted their own account). I didn't elaborate to that extent, but that was my reasoning.

If you are including a link in a post which has meaningful content, in a thread to which the link is relevant, then I don't think anyone would flag the post as spam.

If you are including a link as part of an informal "signature" (since BGG doesn't provide for a predefined "signature"), and doing so in every post you make, then you run the risk that some people may flag your posts as spam. This is likely determined by how much relevant/useful content you have in the body of the post. You do, after all, have the "game designer" badge, and you are clearly not a new user here, so most people would probably treat the signature as you intend it. But if you take to creating posts that contain little other than the link, you're more likely to have your posts flagged, and by that means draw the attention of the admins.

As for the P.O.W.E.R. game entry, BGG provides the facility to add a website for each game, so the link there is appropriate. I personally don't have an issue with the links in the "more information" section, but only because the links appear to be to the original publisher's site. If I was looking for a hard to find game, that is information I might find useful. However, if a game store (or chain) put their link on the game page for every game that they sold, that would bother me. Fuzzy ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robotower wrote:
Hello to all.
Wher i can find form for backlink exchange?
And can i put rewiws for my game site on this forum?
Please respond to my as soon as posible.

Hi! Welcome to BoardGameGeek!

BoardGameGeek (BGG) is a friendly, but commercial, site for gamers. Advertising another game site without permission would be considered spamming here. If you want to advertise, a link is at the bottom of every page. BGG reviews games, not other game sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robotower wrote:
Hello to all.
Wher i can find form for backlink exchange?
And can i put rewiws for my game site on this forum?
Please respond to my as soon as posible.

You might consider putting your reviews on the blog that you are given here at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eliot
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one make a game appear in Gone Cardboard? Sixpence Games' first product, Professor Pugnacious' Portfolio of Perils, Pugilism, and Perfidy-the Card Game of Victorian Combat is out on Kickstarter now and I would like to have it shown in the preorder section of Gone Cardboard, but I can't figure out how to do that. Thank you.

Also, I tried posting this earlier, and I linked to the Kickstarter page since that is what I am talking about, and my post got deleted. Is that really considered spam? I mean, I'm asking a question that I actually am curious about, in the appropriate thread, and doing so respectfully and all that. It's not like I'm going around posting in a bunch of unrelated threads saying "hey your boardgame looks cool have you checked out mine????" and posting a link to the Kickstarter. Does any and all posting of Kickstarter links outside of the Press Releases forum count as spamming, no matter the context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgaesop wrote:
How does one make a game appear in Gone Cardboard? Sixpence Games' first product, Professor Pugnacious' Portfolio of Perils, Pugilism, and Perfidy-the Card Game of Victorian Combat is out on Kickstarter now and I would like to have it shown in the preorder section of Gone Cardboard, but I can't figure out how to do that. Thank you.

Here is the official initial posting about Gone Cardboard: Gone Cardboard Returns

And here is an earlier Q&A about it: 17.5 GG to the one who can tell me how to get on Gone Cardboard! DONE and DONE

Quote:
Also, I tried posting this earlier, and I linked to the Kickstarter page since that is what I am talking about, and my post got deleted. Is that really considered spam? I mean, I'm asking a question that I actually am curious about, in the appropriate thread, and doing so respectfully and all that. It's not like I'm going around posting in a bunch of unrelated threads saying "hey your boardgame looks cool have you checked out mine????" and posting a link to the Kickstarter. Does any and all posting of Kickstarter links outside of the Press Releases forum count as spamming, no matter the context?

I don't know about the deletion. It wasn't done by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great list! Tried to find on the HOW section "How to delete an account"

Some time ago a made a 2nd account (I put my name as user name in my first account) but at the end never used the 2nd. Account and now I know I'll stick with the older one.

With the 2nd. Account I never posted anything, so... How do I deleted?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Geek (menu) > Account (dropdown) > Delete Account (last in the list)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilko
Germany
Hilden
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me how to get my national flag over my avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
"My Geek" -> "Account" -> "Edit Contact Details" -> set up your country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way to automatically hide all posts by a particular user (instead of having to hide each post by that user individually)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Is there any way to automatically hide all posts by a particular user (instead of having to hide each post by that user individually)?

Click the down arrow under a user's name in any post. The last option in the list is Hide User's Posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buchholz
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am adding items to the Origins 2013 math trade. I am trying to add both sets of pre-painted FFG miniatures to Cadwallon city of thieves. They do not show up as a BGG item. Can someone please help me with how to get them to show up correctly so people will know they are there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stick1975 wrote:
I am adding items to the Origins 2013 math trade. I am trying to add both sets of pre-painted FFG miniatures to Cadwallon city of thieves. They do not show up as a BGG item. Can someone please help me with how to get them to show up correctly so people will know they are there?

If you just want to add them as sweeteners to the main item, you might find it easier to take pictures of them yourself, upload the pics to your personal gallery here at BGG, and then add them to the post in the MT.

If that's not what you'd prefer or if you need help with any of those steps, just ask again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carter
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me how to make a table on my profile page? If you click on profile, you can see at the bottom of my "about me" paragraph, there is a table that looks messed up. I can't figure out how to get the spacing right. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd probably be best to take a screen shot of the table you want and then insert it as an image.

Press the picture of the camera with the arrow to insert it where you want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fwav8or wrote:
Can someone tell me how to make a table on my profile page? If you click on profile, you can see at the bottom of my "about me" paragraph, there is a table that looks messed up. I can't figure out how to get the spacing right. Thank you!

You could also play around with the [ c ] and [ /c ] codes that use a monospaced font.

T h i s let's yo u sp a ce characters o u t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
you are being watched
badge
I am EVIL, do not try to change my alignment
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
fwav8or wrote:

You could also play around with the [ c ] and [ /c ] codes that use a monospaced font.

using that code on an user avatar block gets you this

Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:
glsonn wrote:
fwav8or wrote:

using that code on an user avatar block gets you this

(clipped)

Oh my my!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carter
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
fwav8or wrote:

Thank you... it worked perfectly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.