Popular Tags: [View All]
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first session report for Yahtzee in 2009. Hurrah.

Background: A computer version of Yahtzee comes installed with Red Hat on our machines at work. I play every now and then because it kills a couple minutes while my code runs. I suppose if I ever logged these plays, it'd show a couple hundred games per year. The setup is me against 5 computer opponents, and they're good enough that I have the top score only about half the time. I've played enough times that it I have to get higher than 335 to get on the top 10 list.

The game: My first turn, I was working with 33, but 2 rerolls later I had 22336. I play a somewhat conservative top half game, meaning I make a serious stab at getting the 35 bonus points for having 63 or more in the top half, and scoring the pair of 2s would require me to score a four-of-a-kind in the top half later. So although I don't like to use it this early, I put it under Chance for 16.

I forget the exact order, but I think what happened next was I had 5555something after 1 reroll. I was thinking I'd end up putting it in the top half to give myself a little slack for the bonus when the 2nd reroll turned up a yahtzee. Well, that made things simple. 50 points for me.

Then I rolled 12346. Although I usually prefer going for the long straight when I have 2345 (2-in-6 chance per reroll of completing it rather than the 1-in-6 here), I will go for it in this case because 1) very likely I'll pair one of the numbers, and then I can try for a 3-of-a-kind in the top half, or 2) if I still have the 6, I can still bung it down for a small straight. Indeed, on the first reroll, I had 44, but the 2nd reroll was no improvement. With Chance already filled, I used it as a throwaway single 1.

I think we happened next was I put 222 and 333. On the one hand, it's good because it's 2 less top half rows I have to worry about. On the other hand, it's bad because it's 2 less top half rows to make up my -2 deficit (ideally, the 1 should have been a 111 ).

I like to work on the top half because then usually, over the course of the game, you'll hit a 4-of-a-kind or full house by chance. As for the 3-of-a-kind, usually what happens is, if I get dealt a pair of something (preferably 4 or higher, maybe 3 ) but it's already occupied in the top half, I'll try for that 3-of-a-kind, which is a 67% chance. The trouble are the straights, which I don't try for unless I have a good hand for them that doesn't work for anything else. What happened now was I trying for something in the top half, only got 44, but lucked out with a small straight, so down it went rather than make my top half even worse.

So, of course, this is when I roll another 12346 with small straight already filled. Well, I could just keep the 6 and hope for something for the top half, or I could try for a large straight. Nope, the top half has enough problems, so I try for the straight, which doesn't pan out. Knowing that my worst categories are (yahtzee), large straight, 4-of-a-kind, and full house, in that order, I put a big goose egg under large straight. I'll take a yahtzee over a large straight any day.

At this point, I rolled 111something. Usually I throw away these 1s because scoring them as 3- or 4-of-a-kind is almost a step backward but, at this point, the game wasn't looking that great anyway, so I keep them: 11111. Ayup.

I continue working on my top half, getting only 44 after 2 rerolls. This would doom my top half, so 4-of-a-kind gets a nice 0 too. I think I roll my 3rd yahtzee here then junk, which gets filed under 0 full house. Then I luck out with a 4444, which goes in the top. I only have to get 555 to get the bonus.

A 4th yahtzee. 0 for 3-of-a-kind. Finally, starting out with only one 5, I get 555.

Final score:

Top half: 1+6+9+16+15+18+35 = 100
Bottom half:

3-of-a-kind 0
4-of-a-kind 0
Full house 0
Small straight 30
Large straight 0
Yahtzee 200
Chance 16

Total: 346

This game is notable as:
1) My 6th all-time high score
2) The most 0s I've taken in a long, long time
3) The most yahtzees I've made in one game

Which brings me to my main complaint about the game: the points gained by rolling a lucky yahtzee or two are greater than the points gained by skillful play of the other 12 categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Glaceon
mbmbmbmbmb
It really took 'til October for people to admit to playing yahtzee this year?

And go Linux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Aaaaaw ! I simply adore Yahtzee. Maybe because it brings back fond memories of playing this game with my mother who loved it. Since she passed away, I take the game out just to have one round, but I never play it with anyone else.

Alas, we can't all have the same taste.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Alas, we can't all have the same taste.

Well, despite the title, I do play it a couple dozen times a month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

That is great fusag

Poker dice are handy to have in one's pocket, but there is something about the game that makes it that little bit more appealing....OK, maybe I am a sentimental twerp !

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Which brings me to my main complaint about the game: the points gained by rolling a lucky yahtzee or two are greater than the points gained by skillful play of the other 12 categories.

That's why we usually play like this: The Yahtzee-field is a field like all others. To be filled once and once only. By the way, our Yahtzee-blocks don't have those little "extra Yahtzee"-squares, just one big field like all the other rolls, so it seems pretty logical to play it like this.

The second or third Yahtzee must be filed under 4 of a kind, 3 of a kind, chance, or the numbers in the top half. It's still pretty much points, unless you roll 5x1 all the time, so it's not a "punishment" for rolling multiple Yahtzees.

Wondering if we had it wrong for years now, I just double-checked the rulebook of my german Yahtzee-variant, "Kniffel". It doesn't say anything about scoring Yahtzees twice. Seems like Schmidt Spiele already tweaked that part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I consider the meaning of life as "solved" (42, duh), there still remains one great mystery to humankind:

Why is a Yahtzee worth more than a large straight, even though it is more likely to occur than the latter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Why is a Yahtzee worth more than a large straight, even though it is more likely to occur than the latter?

I'm not sure about that. If we consider all 6^5 = 7776 ordered rolls, 6 are yahtzee and 240 are large straights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you are right, since you don´t need the straight in any order.
However I still think the large straight is the most frustrating to get, because when you miss only one die to a Yahtzee and fail you end up with 4 of a kind, but with one die missing to a large straight you often end up with nothing.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Yup, you are right, since you don´t need the straight in any order.
However I still think the large straight is the most frustrating to get, because when you miss only one die to a Yahtzee and fail you end up with 4 of a kind, but with one die missing to a large straight you often end up with nothing.shake

Exactly. In the first half of the game, I usually only try for Large Straight if I have 2345.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Earp
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We really like the game ... and it is one that we can play with our family who live in the UK via Skype (other internet communication thingy-ma-jigs are available).

Cheers Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
That's why we usually play like this: The Yahtzee-field is a field like all others. To be filled once and once only. By the way, our Yahtzee-blocks don't have those little "extra Yahtzee"-squares, just one big field like all the other rolls, so it seems pretty logical to play it like this.

After reading Knizia's book, Dice Games Properly Explained, I think this is the more traditional rule and is better than the rule implemented in the computer program I used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Figilano wrote:

After reading Knizia's book, Dice Games Properly Explained, I think this is the more traditional rule and is better than the rule implemented in the computer program I used.

You can roll and score multiple Yahtzees "Yahtzee bonus" in the actual boxed game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.