Subject: Hawkshold vs Runeguard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
This evening David came round to play some games and while the wives gossiped in the next room I convinced him to play a 2,000 pt battle of Battleground. I took my beloved Hawkshold and hoped that I could overcome my previous defeat against Runeguard - albeit with a different opponent.

This was the first time David had played before (although I'd shown him the game last time he was round) and so we dispensed with any terrain. This was also the first chance for me to make use of my homemade felt battlemat and it was certainly nice to be able to throw it over the table and be ready to place the units straight.

I took 2 x Greatswords, 3 x Swordsmen, 1 x Spearmen, 2 x Peasants and 2 x Light Cavalry. This was the first time I had ever used Light Cavalry so I was interested so see how they coped; I ignored the bowmen/longbowmen as last time I fought the Dwarves they both proved to be less than useless.

David took 1 x Longbeard, 1 x Battleaxemen, 1 x Axemen, 1 x Crossbowmen, 1 x Spearmen, 2 x Militia, 1 x Antonian Horse.

We both lined up 7 unit battlefronts, with the Greatswords and Longbeards facing off against each other on one flank and the cavalry behind them. All units were given the 'C' order and with the crossbowmen as the only ranged unit of the field there was minimal shooting (inflicting a single wound on one of the Greatswords) before the lines clashed. Both of us had been splitting command points between taking command cards and activating the army ability on units and so by the time the combat began almost all line units had Bravery/Uruz and we both had half-a-dozen cards in our hand.

The early turns saw both sides inflicting small amounts of damage on each other with neither threatening a swift breach. Unfortunately, as with my last battle, the Dwarves were proving infuriatingly robust and I was suffering almost twice as many wounds across my units as the runty enemy. After a few turns I began to suffer courage checks and although Bravery kept the units fighting it was proving difficult to make much of an impression on the dwarves. From the 4th turn, however, one of the greatswords and swordsmen finally decided discretion was the better part of valour and tried to leg it - being annihilated for their trouble. Despite managing to rout the Axemen my line was now breached in 2 places to the Dwarves' one and the Antonians sinly refused to die or run, thereby preventing my cavalry from swooping onto the flanks.

The next few turns went badly for me as my Spearmen and remaining Greatswords were flanked and pinched, lasting all of that combat as they were destroyed outright. My victorious Swordsmen has surged through the line to run down the Axemen but unfrotunately this left them facing the wrong way and several turns from returning to combat. The bright spot was the Antonians finally succumbing to my Light Cavalry but as this was on my turn it allowed the Longbeards they were planning to pinch to wipe out the remaining Greatswords, with some help from the Crossbowmen. On the far flank one of the Peasants units finally legged it and were removed by the Peasants backing them up to the rear - they hadn't managed to inflict a single wound on the Militia facing them, despite doing well to hold them for 6 turns.

By turn 12 I was left with a undamaged Light Cavalry and another one wound from death, peasants making no impression of fully healthy militia, and spearmen and 1 x Swordsmen both in the yellow. This was matched up against Battleaxemen and 2 x Militia in the green and the Crossbowmen in the yellow. Although there was definitely a chance of victory remaining for the humans, although not a great one, we both decided not to kick the arse out of it and call it a minor victory to the midgets.

In hindsight I would probably have been wiser to put Cavalry on both flanks, rather than overloading on one. The same problem I had the other time I fought Runeguard, namely inflicting enough damage on enough units to force sufficient courage checks to breach the line, was even more pronounced this time. They are proving infuriatingly resistent and even a couple of Greatswords, taken solely for their hitting power, proved to be little better than the standard Swordsmen. I definitely need to think a little more about how to pounds the little buggers back into their dingy mines.

The great victory, though, was David's proclamation of BG:FW as the best of the games he had yet played at my house, and his eagerness to buy a faction for himself. Hawkshold may have let me down in the battle but clearly they've won me the war as I now have a guaranteed regular opponent.

The corruption of my friends continues.

Mwahahahahaaaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Zarecor
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had the same experience against the dwarves.

My son plays the dwarves more often than not and I have always had a hard time defeating them. Their front line tends to smash mine and their antonian horesman can hold their flanks effectively....

The one crushing defeat I've managed to hand them came from a monster and merc army that was heavy on the horse archers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
Don't get me wrong, I will defeat them and when I do, I'll smash right through them and throw them around like a rag doll. I'm just figuring out exactly how to do it. I suspect judicious use of longbowmen and refusing a flank with knights on the other may be the answer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
I suspect judicious use of longbowmen and refusing a flank with knights on the other may be the answer...
A T-Rex is the answer.

To almost anything, really... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Zarecor
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tried the T-rex.... ballista = Ouch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
elgin_j wrote:
I suspect judicious use of longbowmen and refusing a flank with knights on the other may be the answer...
A T-Rex is the answer.

To almost anything, really... cool

I intend to win with superior generalship (and I don't have a T Rex).

Anyway, I was thinking of some possible strategies to employ in my next game and have decided that I might try out a Roman-style chessboard deployment with back up units. It requires acceptance of destruction of significant portions of the army - chiefly the forward rank - but I think it will be interesting to try out. I'll post a session report when I get the chance to test it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.