Subject: Want advice on using cheap ebay cards to play with my son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks like the answer to my search for a simple cool card game to play with my son. (Top Trumps sure wasn't shake ) There are lots of cheap cards available on ebay and I have just read a review about successful family playing with cheap Magic cards. So I am after some advice:

1. How many and what mix of cards do I need to have a box/boxes that will allow functional 2 player games? Remember I will buy cheap mixed cards off ebay so we're not after mega-power. I was thinking about 200 should be enough with a roughly even balance of colours? How can I assess the usefulness of cards for sale?

2. What's a simple/quick way to make up play decks? Can I just deal 40 random cards to each person? Or 80 random cards and they toss out the ones they don't want? Or choose how many of each colour? Or just split all the cards between us and each draft as we see fit?

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered a few hundred used cards off ebay. I learned a few things (you will see I know nothing about CCGs).

1. Duel Masters cards are standard size, 63.5 x 88 mm, same as Magic.

2. However there are fake cards around, some of which are smaller (59 x 86 mm), same as Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Obviously these are no use for playing together with real cards.

3. Building a deck means putting together (at least 40) cards that work well together. Effective decks usually have 1, 2 or 3 colours max (out of 5). You probably need at least twice as many cards as that to choose from, and maybe even more. Depending on how you draft them (see below).

4. Cards come in common (circle), uncommon (diamond), rare (star), very rare (star inside circle) and super-rare (x inside diamond). This is more about their collectibility, I don't think it affects their usefulness for play very much, although the rarer cards tend to be more powerful (but also more expensive in terms of mana needed to summon them). You can make a fine deck just with common/uncommon cards, as explained in one of the official website deck strategy articles.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=duelmasters/rules/decka...

5. There is some advice on the Magic The Gathering forums about drafting decks for playing at home.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/382910

Onwards!

Edit: Super-rare cards actually have a plus symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I got about 350 cards off ebay (plus 150 unwanted fakes), and the other day I used these to build 5 decks of 40 cards, one in each colour. I figured it would be easier to learn the game (and the principles of deck building) with single colour decks, and give enough variety to start with 5 pre-built decks. Each deck has about 10 spells, plus about 30 creatures.

My kids and I played several games today and it worked pretty well. They chose which deck they wanted to play with each time. On reflection, single colour decks don't always work well, because for instance, the red deck has very few or no blockers, and you almost always need these. But we'll stick with it for a little longer.

The game play is very straightfoward for kids, and unambiguous, as mentioned by another reviewer. The special abilities are mostly simple to understand, and the interaction between the cards is usually simple too. It is a very nice design.

It seems to be a bit luck heavy in that what cards you draw can win you the game. The games we have played have been very close, but the win has come down to luck - a timely Shield Trigger for instance. There is a bit of calculating involved in tactics.

I haven't yet seen how the strategy comes in, as our games have been over fairly quickly, and it's pretty obvious what to do each turn. But it's still fun. Obviously part of the strategy is in deck building, which I haven't experimented much with yet.

More to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.