$10.00
Recommend
82 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mr. Jack» Forums » Reviews

Subject: [Video review] - Halloween Mini-Review Special rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: UVU-BOB [+] [View All]
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a mini-review I threw together in time for Halloween. The goal was to see what would happen if I took a more simple game and tried to review it in as little time as possible while still being coherent and entertaining. At 132 seconds, I think I did an OK job.

Please to enjoy, but not in the dark!



Geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48606/the-untitled-flash-b...
68 
 Thumb up
0.76
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Great!! Hope you will do more like this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
Error message... soblue

Nevermind.

-DK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Job again! Very funny as always!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be a stick in the mud to an otherwise funny review (good job!), but I really didn't like the beer-&-pretzel joke with Pope Benedict XVI. The Consecration is the most important part of the Mass, and it is not something to be joked at. Even if you don't believe in it, you should not offend those who do. This applies to all religious beliefs if you want to be a really successful reviewer.

My 2¢.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ruble
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to say that I have made flash animations and I really appreciate the work that goes into these reviews. Also, the visual wit and conciseness shows that they are tightly scripted. Thank you for the review!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
I don't want to be a stick in the mud to an otherwise funny review (good job!), but I really didn't like the beer-&-pretzel joke with Pope Benedict XVI. The Consecration is the most important part of the Mass, and it is not something to be joked at. Even if you don't believe in it, you should not offend those who do. This applies to all religious beliefs if you want to be a really successful reviewer.

My 2¢.


I understand your point. There are several concious choices I've made in regards to the design of the video to ensure suitability for a wide audience (no hard swearing, for instance). As a non-Catholic, I thought I was just putting in a slightly irreverant picture of the Pope Photoshopped to be holding a beer and pretzel. I didn't realize that it was during the Sacrament and can understand how other people might be offended.

That said, however, what's done is done and I won't be editing the video unless I get a deluge of complaints. I'll try to put a little more thought into my videos from now on, though. Don't worry, this isn't an assault on Christianity.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job. Only thing I would have liked to have seen is mention that after the Visible/Unseen determination is made, the tokens are flipped to show that they're permanently no longer suspects.

And a little side comment on the above, *everything* in life is something to be joked at. Especially when it's as innocuous as the Pope joke.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the video handy, but I think there is a mention of flipping the tokens. Maybe it went by too fast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, watched it again, I must have blanked out for a second.

Might have to call the doctor about that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
And a little side comment on the above, *everything* in life is something to be joked at. Especially when it's as innocuous as the Pope joke.

I really, REALLY don't want to start something that should go into the RSP forum, so I will push my point only briefly: if you understood how profound the Mass is as a well informed Catholic sees it, then it cannot be seen as innocuous by anyone, even if you don't believe it. Again, its not worth offending so many people. I would not publicly joke about Buddha, for instance, because I would offend many people. Respect is very important for a peaceful society.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a "well informed" Catholic, and howled with laughter at the picture. Sorry.

Yes, respect is very important. So is laughter.

And I too will end this now, so as to not take this off topic.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. More comments about how awesome my videos are, please.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UvulaBob wrote:
Yeah. More comments about how awesome my videos are, please.

Its awesometastically put together! thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok Great video, craved more. I had posted on the small world video review that I wished you had taken "reviewing" seriously. I am very happy with the thumbs up/thumbs down and intervals that you used. very useful. The more you put out we can adjust our like and dislikes when you review games that we really like, are meh about or truly hate. Again great job.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UvulaBob wrote:

That said, however, what's done is done and I won't be editing the video unless I get a deluge of complaints. I'll try to put a little more thought into my videos from now on, though. Don't worry, this isn't an assault on Christianity. ;)


I thought it was an inspired choice. Beer, wine. As a recovering ex-Catholic I thought it perfectly conveyed the altogether strange occurance and of alcohol consumption (albeit in smallish gulps) masked as 'holy rites'.

Pope till you Drope!

or

Keep on Pope-ing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fredrick
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Super job. I do have one question though. In your video when Jack is seen and you flip over those who are not seen, why did you flip Sergeant Goodley? Wasn't he adjacent to the streetlamp and therefore "seen"? Help!

Other than that, best review I have seen. Fast, easy to follow, nice animation and good music!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, whoops. I have no idea why I did that. Good catch!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
UvulaBob wrote:

That said, however, what's done is done and I won't be editing the video unless I get a deluge of complaints. I'll try to put a little more thought into my videos from now on, though. Don't worry, this isn't an assault on Christianity.


I thought it was an inspired choice. Beer, wine. As a recovering ex-Catholic I thought it perfectly conveyed the altogether strange occurance and of alcohol consumption (albeit in smallish gulps) masked as 'holy rites'.

Pope till you Drope!

or

Keep on Pope-ing!


and there we go with more anti-Catholic jokes... leave it to an ex-Catholic to misunderstand the Mass and the Papacy. whistle

Count me as another person not impressed with the Pope joke. I think the rest of the video was great, just found that was totally random the way you threw in a defaced religious picture in there for humor. Wouldn't Homer Simpson with a Duff Beer have done the trick? Or a picture of people drinking beer and watching TV?






2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizowikc wrote:
Wouldn't Homer Simpson with a Duff Beer have done the trick?


Actually no. There would be no humour derived from seeing Homer Simpson with a beer, because it's expected.

"Hey Martha, come 'ere! See, this smart fella here, he said the word beer, then flashed up a picture of Homer Simpson holding a beer! That was so unexpected, I practically split a gut laughing so hard!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizowikc wrote:


and there we go with more anti-Catholic jokes... leave it to an ex-Catholic to misunderstand the Mass and the Papacy. whistle

Count me as another person not impressed with the Pope joke. I think the rest of the video was great, just found that was totally random the way you threw in a defaced religious picture in there for humor. Wouldn't Homer Simpson with a Duff Beer have done the trick? Or a picture of people drinking beer and watching TV?


Well, again - it wasn't a calculated assault on Christ or the Pope. It was the best thing that came out of the first page of Google Image Search results when I typed in "Beer and Pretzels".

Thanks for your input!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see an issue with the Pope joke as the created did not get carried away. As with literally everything in life, someone could see something and get offended. It is an image, and by no means should a beer or pretzel demonstrate anything wrong. They are mere modifications of the type of alcoholic beverage and bread used in Christian communion. However, the point that I saw and laughed at is it shows the Pope taking something serious and, instead, having fun. This is a gaming site, not a religious site. Try not to take the fun out of the reviewers joke and intentions.

There's my $0.02.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baconcow wrote:
I do not see an issue with the Pope joke as the created did not get carried away. As with literally everything in life, someone could see something and get offended. It is an image, and by no means should a beer or pretzel demonstrate anything wrong. They are mere modifications of the type of alcoholic beverage and bread used in Christian communion. However, the point that I saw and laughed at is it shows the Pope taking something serious and, instead, having fun. This is a gaming site, not a religious site. Try not to take the fun out of the reviewers joke and intentions.

Remember, this is a profound subject. The choice of using wine and unleavened bread is not arbitrary; God does nothing arbitrarily. So your "modifications" are sacrilegious.
This is not a religious site; but true religion permeates everything, especially as seen through the eyes of Faith: there is no such thing as taking a break from religion.
Take the fun out of jokes? Where is the humor in that one? Besides, that was the only joke that was objectionable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Comment about Video Review

Paul, I have been going through your videos one by one, and I have to say you are now one of the top video reviewers in my book here on the Geek! I'll admit, you make me use the 'pause' button a little more than I'd like, but most of the time it is to read your often hilarious sidenotes, and I understand that slowing down your videos would break the tight pacing which is characteristic of your style. Anyway, I can't wait to see all the new reviews that you'll be coming up with. Keep up the good work!

Comment about political correct(less)ness

I would imagine that we could find equal sides of both religious and non-religious people who would either agree or disagree with liberal religious humour. Personally, I find Stephen Colbert's position (a devout Catholic, by the way) best when he said that religious humour walks a very fine line and crosses that line when the intent of the joke denies a religion's existence. The 'pretzel' joke I find does not, and therefore for me it is a question of taste, rather than a question of ethics.


(Edit note: deleted a humorous comment that might have unintentionally been taken as serious. And I hate using emoticons to emphasize sarcasm.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Personally, I find Stephen Colbert's position (a devout Catholic, by the way) best when he said that religious humour walks a very fine line and crosses that line when the intent of the joke denies a religion's existence. The 'pretzel' joke I find does not, and therefore for me it is a question of taste, rather than a question of ethics.[/size])

I would say "when it denies a religious existence."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.