Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is quite rare that I find an item at the local game store (Cool Stuff Games) and cannot find a review here about it to aid me in making the decision to buy.
But this game was so inexpensive I decided to take a chance and purchased it.
At first glance it is very simple - even a bit disappointing.
But as we played it more (and with more players) there are strategies that unfold.

This game appears to be a strange marriage between Hangman and Scrabble; with Wheel Of Fortune as the Best Man.

There is a set of wooden tiles to represent all 26 letters of the Alphabet. There are four additional (bonus) tiles to round the count at 30.

You lay these tiles in a 5 by 6 grid. I recommend do not butt the tiles right up against each other as pictured in the instructions. During the game you need to turn over a tile as you 'activate' it. A little breathing room around the tiles is an immense help in this.
Without repeating the ruleset, the basic principle of the game is to guess opponents' words - which are displayed on paper as a set of dashes (an underline for each letter as in Hangman).
Each player moves his marker across the tiles on a turn. When a marker lands on a letter EVERY PLAYER must reveal (write on the line) each occurance of that letter in his word. That letter is then dead (and the tile is turned over).
Many strategies arise when you plot your movement across this field of letter tiles - trying to discover opponents' words without revealing too much of your own. Since you get one point for every occurance of the letter, including your own, one (dangerous) strategy is to reveal letters that are repeated in your own word. Of course you run a greater risk of having your work deciphered as a result.

The bonus tiles offer special movement (and additional points).

One very interesting aspect of this game is the scoring for a correct guess. The points earned is increased based on the number of players who have been elimitated from play (including the one that was just eliminated by a correct guess). But you only get ONE GUESS in the game (except for the lucky player who lands on the King special tile) and can be eliminated yourself as a penalty for an incorrect guess.

It is fast and light but offers A WHOLE LOAD OF FUN FOR A GREAT PRICE!

{I must say, the completely wooden set of components (including the box!) is quite refreshing. And the box claims all parts are manufactured in the USA. I suspect they are hand crafted.}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question. I assume the bonus tiles can only be used once per round and then turned over. This isn't specified in the rules.

Thanks

Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.