22 Posts

The Dice Tower» Forums » General

Subject: Which is better? Battlestar Galactica, or Shadows Over Camelot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zephyr Geist
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In episode #161, in the Head-to-Head battle (with traitor theme), Tom shocked me by voting for Shadows Over Camelot, and Eric startled me by voting for Battlestar Galactica.

Tom mentioned that someone would probably put up a poll; so I am.

Head-to-Head: which is the better Traitor game?

Poll
Battlestar Galactica, or Shadows Over Camelot?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Battlestar Galactica
69.3% 52
Shadows Over Camelot
30.7% 23
Voters 75
This poll is now closed.   75 answers
Poll created by Speed Razor
Closes: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a ton of experience with either game, but I like BSG much more. Shadows has dragged when I've played it; BSG feels like it has less downtime, probably due to the frequent skill checks in which everyone has an opportunity to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll take BSG because there are multiple traitors in big games which splits the game into teams at the end. That way I can really bond with my Cylon Bretheren.

I think BSG also gives the traitor more options to sabotage the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Shadows over Camelot once and it didn't seem like a very fun game. Halfway through the 3 player game we came to the conclusion that there was no way we could keep the catapults in check. The only quest we got was the Sword and that pretty much spend up the amount of catapults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leibig
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are my two entries into the "Guess Joe's Response" game for this thread:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I choose answer C: ASL

My second is:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
BSG all the way. Anyone who picks Shadows is just a wimpy, euro-loving, bed-wetting, Days of Wonder fanboy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If a person has never seen BSG, would that impact enjoyment of BSG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
South London
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
bitterpolitics.weebly.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough call.

I go with SoC simply because it is easier to teach and shorter.

They're very different games though.

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brenton t vallade
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG by far. Every time I play SOC I feel like I am waiting the entire game and never get to do anything. Oh, its my turn, OK move me here. Well that was it. That was my turn. Ten to twelve minutes until I do anything else, OK. Oh, its my turn again I will play one of the four 1 cards I have in my hand. Lather, rinse blah blah blah.
In BSG I feel more involved the entire game and like I get more accomplished when it is my turn.
As for needing to be a fan of the show to enjoy this game more, I cant say either. I am a fan of the show. I can say that this isnt the reason I like it more than SOC. I have disliked SOC since the first time I played it. Which was well before BSG was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brentont wrote:

In BSG I feel more involved the entire game and like I get more accomplished when it is my turn.

I'll vote for BSG. The quote above says it all. Even when it's not your turn, you still contribute cards to skill checks on every players' turn, so you're still involved. Also, don't forget the task of making baseless accusations whenever you're not doing anything. That's where most of the fun is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
BSG is about 4 freakin' hours long.

Basically this means I will NEVER play it.

SOC by default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
South London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

SOC by default.
I think this makes a HUGE difference to more casual gamers. I love BSG, but my mates are all bigger fans of SoC because its so much easier to play. As a rules explainer, it's easier on me too.

Obviously, on BGG the more complex and rewarding game will get the votes, but the only criticism I can understand is the downtime, but the universal rule of SoC is this:

If you haven't shouted "Traitor" in the last ten minutes, you ain't playing the game right.

It's a social game, so be social when its not your turn. Not a rules fix, but perhaps an attitude fix.

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG for me as well. Shadows Over Camelot is still a good game and it certainly perfect for some situations; I agree that it is the better game for non-gamers as it is much easier to grasp and the traitor generally doesn't have to do much to tip the game towards ruin.

Ultimately I find Shadows pretty dull, though. Trying to figure out who the traitor is or if one even exists is fun and really is the bulk of the game. Quests are pretty dull; heaven forbid you go on a solo quest as your next four or five turns (potentially a good chunk of the game) will be spent just playing the cards already in your hand down on the board. Not really all that fun.

Battlestar is really the game for me. You are paying attention on every single turn, trying to figure out who might be a cylon. The nature of the mechanics allows you to try and make deductions based on how events resolve and I love all the decisions on how much or little to put in on a specific event. My only real complaint is that you can have some really long lulls in the action, but I think the Pegasus expansion may help with that a bit (haven't had a chance to play it yet).

Then you add in the chance for loyalties to change halfway through the game and you have a keeper. Everyone is on their toes, accusations start flying, people get tossed in the brig... it is awesome stuff. Shadows Over Camelot generally just keeps beating you down whereas Battlestar really feels like you have some control over your fate.

Both games are good but for our gaming group I'll always pick BSG over Shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
South London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems pretty clear which way this one's going!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica for the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
South London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrieking Emu wrote:
Battlestar Galactica for the win!
Er... I think the crew of Galactica have it pretty sewn up, mate.

I think it's worth owning both, though.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Adairsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Camelot like 8 or 9 times now and I enjoy it very much. I have played Battlestar once, but it was a great game. I think I would pick BSG as the better game, but I like them both enough to own them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could only own one I'd go with SOC. If I could only play one I'd go with BSG.

I like playing BSG more b/c of most all reasons already mentioned, plus I loved the show.

but

I've had very little success with BSG in getting my regs to play it over SOC. I also feel comfortable pulling SOC out as a gateway game where I would NEVER introduce someone to BSG early on in there conversion process.

Atleast with Monty Python qoutes you can go 2 hours and never have to repeat one, but with BSG all you hear is Frackin Toaster 100 times a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
South London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthpilgrim wrote:
If I could only own one I'd go with SOC. If I could only play one I'd go with BSG.

This is what I was trying to say. Damn my lack of writing skills!

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have to have seen the new incarnation of BSG to appreciate the game play, which I would argue is more thematic than Shadows over Camelot. When playing Shadows I feel much of the time that I'm playing a weird version of poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Avery
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

Man- you are playing with the *wrong* people. 3 hours tops...and thats for a very close game.

Steve"Toaster"Avery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenAvery wrote:
Quote:

Man- you are playing with the *wrong* people. 3 hours tops...and thats for a very close game.

Steve"Toaster"Avery

My last game of Battlestar Galactica lasted almost 2 months, and I never even got to meet the guys I was playing with.

But I still like it better than Shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG all the way. Ever since we started playing it about one year ago, we haven't pulled out SOC once. Not once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.