Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7176 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [288] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Avatar [+] community [+] fun [+] BGG_is_a_Community [+] communalism [+] [View All]
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am really not sure anymore what pages need or not. Feel free to start at the end and work your way back! It's been really cool to see this community give so much away to help those that really want to make this site part of their gaming community!

I had about 100 that I wanted to give away and help those that don't have avatars. I had already given out over 200 but I thought that maybe the whole community could get into something like this and help others out. I am sure you remember the days of making a post and just having your name there.

So what am I asking? If you don't have an avatar first thumb this thread and then post why you need one.

If you are a geek that has a bunch of lying around feel free to give one of the geeks on this post some to make their avatar dreams come true. I need your help! Even a tip of a couple of can make a difference.

I am not sure what this thread will do, but it would be cool if this became a place for helping out others and making sure there is NO GEEK LEFT BEHIND!

Once you get your Avatar make sure to show it off by sending a Thank You to those that help make your dreams come true. How to find out who tipped you? Just click on the number by the and it will pull up a list.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Seago
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help! No Geek Left Behind...I need one straight away...why you may ask? Well my wifey recently stumbled upon my BGG profile and found that I did not have an Avatar soblue So...apparently she thinks I'm the "weak sheep in the herd" and has started "eyeing" some of the other geeks who have nice and large Avatars...please help me restore my manhood and bestow upon me an Avatar!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
Turtle Power
badge
all the way down
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I need an Avatar... hmmm.

I registered 2004-08-12. I have been visiting BGG semi-regularly since that time, but only recently started posting (since that date, I have finished both my undergrad in philosophy and my JD, so that's what I've been doing while lurking).

But now my posts look kind of bare! So there's my hat-in-hand panhandling for the evening. d^_~b
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fowler
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free Avatar -- it must be Christmas or something. An avatar would be coolcool
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrick M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I -need- an avatar? Well, I don't need one, but look how naked my name is over there! Isn't it sad? Isn't it kinda obscene? I plan on getting a microbadge soon after I upload some pics this week, but wouldn't it look so much sexier underneath a regal-looking 64x64 square, as if it were wearing some giant, awesome hat?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Here's a little more to give away. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother J
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a lurking member since 2005 but have never posted enough to get an Avatar. I enjoy reading the database and all the wonderful contributions of the members here. I have even managed to add 3 new games to the database. I love to collect and play games but my time is limited and rather than contribute much substantial content to the site I use it to play games with my family. So far my girls are 6 and are growing into excellent gamers. We have just started playing Zooloretto and Talisman and they love them both.

Soon they will be able to read this site and what will they think of their daddy; a collection of over 600 games and no avatar. They will be ashamed of their "so-called" Board Game Geek daddy. "Why, Daddy, how can you call yourself a Board Game Geek and you have no Avatar. For shame!" they will say.

SO please, if not for me, a fellow geek, Do it for the children...cry

• [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I need some help in my effort to get an avatar? Because even with religious GeekMod-ing it seems I will never get there! I WOULD be posting reviews and that sort of thing but without an avatar will anyone really take me seriously? Sadly, I think not. So, I will return to my religious GeekMod-ing until one day I achieve the wonderful wealth that will allow me to purchase an avatar! (or some kind person helps me out of holiday spirit whistle )

• [+] Dice rolls
Levi Applegate
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuclearMicky wrote:
Why do I need some help in my effort to get an avatar? Because even with religious GeekMod-ing it seems I will never get there! I WOULD be posting reviews and that sort of thing but without an avatar will anyone really take me seriously? Sadly, I think not. So, I will return to my religious GeekMod-ing until one day I achieve the wonderful wealth that will allow me to purchase an avatar! (or some kind person helps me out of holiday spirit whistle )

Same here. I've uploaded a couple of things, but I've gained most of my from GeekModing... and it comes so slow, that I usually just end up spending them one or two at a time, since 30 seems so far away. If someone would be willing to donate toward my avatar, that would be a wonderful Christmas gift. Thank you!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dennis
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need an avatar because my plain jane account name listing doesn't help my personal identity crisis. A shiny new avatar would give my account some character!! bag
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacto Northern Cal
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about those of us who like not having an avatar?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel left out with no avatar. Religious geekmodding still hasn't gotten me there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to gave an avatar because it seems that having one is acually quite cool whistle
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ankur Gupta
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only once I obtain an avatar can I begin commanding non-avatar bearing geeks to worship me.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
There is no try
badge
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have an Avatar so I can feel like a full member of the Geek, instead of a hollow shell...it's dark in this shell...and I'm lonely...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo McCardel
United States
Ridgefield
WA
flag msg tools
You are mighty small, little Banjo, and your flippers are tired. But one day, you will become...
badge
BANJO...KING of the Seamonkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
I need an Avatar because I don't think the natives of Pandora would accept me in my human form. Plus, I've always pictured myself as a really tall blue-skinned guy. But the movie had me believe it was a lot more expensive than 30 geek gold -- are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks, everyone, for the generous donations!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I am kind of proud to be avatar-less, it's like a badge of honour that I actually have a life outside of BGG! No wait, I don't have a life outside BGG.... damn, damn, damn, damn ....

Ok, Plan B is to get an avatar that says "Avatar Free and Proud" so all you geeks who think an avatar is something cool will be secretly but hopelessly jealous. No, wait....that doesn't sound right....doh!

Plan C: How about my new reason to be proud not to have an avatar is to show that I despised James Cameron's Titanic and the 11 Oscars it got for being the biggest dumbest movie of its day, so obviously why would I want to support his new big dumb movie that is obviously just a rip off of BGG anyway.... (this reasong makes sense to me and I don't care what anyone thinks ...except my mum maybe)

Oh, ok, hit me.... (Thanks Lil Red Head! Thanks Gwen! Now I have 30. Avatar Time!) cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because my avatar is going to be really, really cool.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
thumbsup

Here's a little more to give away. cool

And a little more never hurts. bacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Electrik Studios
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
I spent about 2 hours making a cool avatar the other day (I'm a noobie), and then when I went to upload it, I realized that you need 30 geek gold to post it! Alas, I have none...

Puh-lease help me out! What can be better than Electrik Lightening Boltz?

ZAP!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_f wrote:
Free Avatar -- it must be Christmas or something. An avatar would be coolcool

Here's some to go with your '09 Patron badge. Patron badges hold a special place in my heart. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noisenet wrote:
What about those of us who like not having an avatar?!?!

Well I guess we can take all the you have to prevent you from ever getting one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE JTSPECIAL-OID
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what´s this obsession you´ve got with everybody having to have an Avatar, Michael???!!!

(Michael already made a very generous donanation to the League of Extraordinary Heroscapers Christmas Charity, that was all about collecting GG for those without Avatars.)

P.s. That particular charity event is over and closed, so please don´t post there!

Nice work Michael, keep spreading that Christmas Cheer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:
I got about 100 that I want to give away and help those that don't have avatars. I have already given out over 200 but I thought that maybe the whole community could get into something like this and help others out. I am sure you remember the days of making a post and just having your name there.

So what am I asking? If you don't have an avatar first thumb this thread and then post why you need one.

If you are a geek that has a bunch of lying around feel free to see one of the geeks on this post and give enough to make their avatar dreams come true. I have only 100 to give away so that is about the cost of 3 avatars. So I need your help! Even a tip of a couple of can make a difference.

I am not sure what this thread will do, but it would be cool if this became a place for helping out others and making sure there is NO GEEK LEFT BEHIND!

Cool that you're doing this! I just yesterday got my avatar from a geeklist similar to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes amazing that in these times some people can still be bothered to spread some joy around without expecting anything back for it.

I'm not sure if everybody actually NEEDS an avatar.
But I do think it is nice to have one.
I mean, just look at this reply of myne, you will aggree that it simply looks naked.

Avatars give you a bit of a personality I think. Sometimes you only have to look at the avatar to 'recognise' a person and draw attention to those posts you (do not) want to read.

I hope to one day have enough for an avatar, but I don't lack any patience in the matter and am sure that one day, I'll have enough.
Haha, I'll probably need the time it takes to gather the GG to make up my mind what avatar to get.

• [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [288] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.