Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7301 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [293] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Avatar [+] community [+] fun [+] BGG_is_a_Community [+] communalism [+] [View All]
Henric Fröberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Seize the Road
badge
For Captain Hammer!
mbmbmbmbmb
30 GG is a lot... I don't even know how to collect them (except for begging, that is ). Anyone's got any good tips on how?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Husband. Entrepreneur. Open source contributor.
badge
mbmbmb
I definitely need an avatar. BGG is a great site, and I want to feel more like I'm part of it. An avatar would be great for this.

Also, if I'd had an avatar, I'd browse BGG more, thus adding even more games into my wishlist and eventually buy bigger amount of games.

If I'd had more games, I'd definitely need more gaming partners. I'd of course do more work to get more people to play with, once I'd have more games.

And once I'd had more partners to play with, they'd eventually convert into new BGG users and of course, buy games theirselves.

And once me and my friends and the people they have lured into boardgaming play and buy games, the boardgaming market would have more buyers and thus the designers would make more games. And OOP games would get reprints more easily.

At this point, also YOU could feel the effect of me getting an avatar, because you also would have more to play and probably even less expensive prices.

That's why I need an avatar.

Thanks for the great begging thread ;]
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm being held hostage by pro-avatar fanatics who have sworn to throw my games into the sea if I do not rectify my evil avatar-less ways immediately, if not sooner. Please help.

Oh, and if they see any elite teams of geeks, armed to the teeth with wood and cardboard, anywhere near my location, they'll dunk a game to prove they're serious. Please do not test their resolve.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hope-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need an avatar so that I can express my personality through the medium of a small square picture.

Actually after using this site for years and despairing of ever getting an avatar I realised last week that when you donate to the site you get 1GG for each dollar you give. So I'm half way there by becoming an '09 patron. Roll on January 1st...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mb
HenricF wrote:
30 GG is a lot... I don't even know how to collect them (except for begging, that is ). Anyone's got any good tips on how?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekGold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
help. I need an avatar now. Now that the Avatar movie is out this will just continue to further confuse these requests. Also every day I am without an avatar I lose my identity a bit more, slightly disappearing (remember the siblings from Back to the Future?).

Help me BoardGameGeek community... you're my only hope.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markku W
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need an avatar because that would give me a feeling that I've accomplished something important. Without one I am nothing.

Edit: on the second thought, avatar would need to depict something and at the moment I can't figure out anything (probably because at the moment I am nothing). It would probably be just static and a waste of a perfectly good avatar...

Edit2: See what I mean! Now I'm forced to collect my thoughts. Merry X-Mas and A Happy New Year!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corina Pastor
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A geek is not a board game geek without an avatar!! Help me to become a REAL geek!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cool kids have avatars.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just starting to get into the trading thing here on the Geek, and I feel less trustworthy not having an avatar. I would love one for Christmas.

Thank you.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I don't have one yet.

Edit: Holy cow! I did not expect this! Thanks a lot, now, how to choose...

Thanks again basilmichael!
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edit:

Avatar received! Thank you very much!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harley Wentzel
United States
Cleveland
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because right after I found this site in 2005 I immediately created my avatar and it's been sitting in the dark memory of one of my computers that has been in storage for a while. But, "It looked.. like.. THIIISSSS!!" (Think Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.)

I probably deserve special consideration because come on, it's got a Goonies theme.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the community needs a clear bullseye for me when I write inflammatory rhetoric!

Do me one better...teach me to fish! How can I most expediently earn the GG? I have posted a fair amount in ways that don't earn because I simply want to (and will continue to do so). Hints on EARNING the gold would be much appreciated. Have a review and session report in mind and am thinking about uploading some photos of my game room as it comes together....
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's an avatar?
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamison creel
Israel
Jerusalem
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been a regular at the site since 2003. Six years later I have 6.82 GG. That's a little better than one a year. I would really love an avatar before I turn 60. Anybody want to help a brother out?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools

My new Avatar will change Board Game Geek forever!

Yes... I am James Cameron.

• [+] Dice rolls
Hal
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time, I, Hal, dreamt I was an avatar, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes an avatar. I was conscious only of my happiness as an avatar, unaware that I was Hal. Soon I awoke, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was an avatar, or whether I am now an avatar, dreaming I am a man. The only way to resolve this crippling crisis is to unite my man-self and avatar-self.

Also, all the cool kids have one.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the one thing every geek wants? An avatar! OR for those who aready have an avatar: Avatar!

I would love to have an avatar because to this point my reviews have earned me only 9 .

I plan on donating $15 (but not until receiving permission from the master of the universe [read: wife] which has been promised for January), but that still only takes me to 24. Please help.

In any case this is a wonderful thing that you are doing for the lesser geeks! Thanks everyone.
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuclearMicky wrote:
Why do I need some help in my effort to get an avatar? Because even with religious GeekMod-ing it seems I will never get there! I WOULD be posting reviews and that sort of thing but without an avatar will anyone really take me seriously? Sadly, I think not. So, I will return to my religious GeekMod-ing until one day I achieve the wonderful wealth that will allow me to purchase an avatar! (or some kind person helps me out of holiday spirit whistle )

Thank you everyone that has tipped me! I am getting so close to my avatar now I am sorting through images to try and decide what it should be! (I only need 8.5 more!)

I'm thinking a picture of my two kitties in a Santa hat - maybe catnip will convince them this is a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
There were no screams. There was no time. The mountain called Monkey had spoken. There was only fire. And then, nothing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want an avatar so I can proudly proclaim that I am the father of an awesome autistic 4 year old boy (soon to be 5! WOW!) who has already designed his own board game! See here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/455188/my-4-year-old-des...

This would be my Avatar!

I know I am biased but even after almost 5 years, I still cant get over how gosh darned cute he is!!

• [+] Dice rolls
Fischjello
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I foolishly squandered my ’09 patronage gg on badges... sweet, sweet badges. So many more badges to get... must search badges database more...

I think I may have already spent my ’10 patronage gg on badges (just 11 days to go!) and would like an avatar -- something awesome, with things and stuff on it. That would be crazy good.

• [+] Dice rolls
Captain Planet
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because a boardgamegeeker without an Avatar is like a wargamer without dice, or an eurogamer without wooden blocks, or an ameritrasher without space hulk!

EDIT: Thanks all for the GG to buy a Avatar. I'm simply deciding what to upload now! Happy New Year!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love an avatar for Christmas!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angry Bah, humbug!

In my day, we worked to get our avatars! We contributed reports and images and new games to the site! We said clever things and got tips!

...But since there are no Dickensian workhouses into which I can fling you all, I hope that you take this thread's central message to heart - a lot of BGG is run as a gift economy. You'll get stuff for free on occasion, be it spare parts or just digital bag, and we hope that someday you'll pass on the favour to someone else who might be needing that spare Heroquest die or extra Agricola animal counters you've got. Or even just a simple geekpenny or two as a tip to someone who has just posted an atrocious pun, or perhaps a particularly amusing session report of Twilight Imperium 3.

And just like Bill Murray in that holiday classic, Scrooged, I've had a change of heart. Michael, I've tipped you my current balance of - please see that it goes to a deserving urchin.

goldencamelHappy holidays to all, and may the golden camel of prosperity leave a healthy deposit of fertilizer in your fields this season.goldencamel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [293] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.