South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Did Soldiers in the field tape magazines together?
Yes
No
Maybe?
      18 answers
Poll created by Luftwaffe Flak

Id be curious to see the general consensus on this matter?

Edit:
Added Images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought they just tore out the centerfolds and threw away the rest of each magazine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan N. "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
I always thought they just tore out the centerfolds and threw away the rest of each magazine...

Perhaps I should have referred to them erroneously as 'clips' as most of the world does today. Yes, Virginia there is a difference between 'clip' and 'magazine'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
you are being watched
badge
I am EVIL, do not try to change my alignment
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

you do not throw away useful (think personal hygiene use ) paper when in the field
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is limited to M-16's in training environments. I would never tape two magazines together, because the open end of the one not inserted would either gather dirt (to which M-16's in my day (A1's) did not react kindly), or rounds would pop out as you are running, low-crawling around. The only way to prevent dirt and dust from getting into the open one would be to put some kind of cover, which would have had to have been some field expedient solution (duct tape, a sock?). Then you have the issue of taking the "cover" off before you could pop that mag in, which would take time, which would kind of defeat the whole purpose, right? I can only ever recall seeing this in movies, but maybe someone has seen/done it in real life. Of course, maybe this would work with an AK-47, since I'm told you could drop those things in a muddy creek, pick them back up, pull the trigger, and they'd shoot just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you on the M16 that thing was a pain when it first came out...still can be from what I read. Quite a few of my friends that are vets coming back from Iraq or Afghanistan were pleased when they could get M14's from their TOE. The .223 round isnt cutting it in terms of chewing up cover, the .308 fits the bill nicely in regards to that according to them. Makes sense to me, that .223 round is a puny one.

In terms of the magazines, heres 3 pictures of different GI's (Pardon I mean 'Advisors') doing it in Vietnam, they are all carrying carbines though. Some have the banana mag and some have the short straight ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
My experience is limited to M-16's in training environments. I would never tape two magazines together, because the open end of the one not inserted would either gather dirt (to which M-16's in my day (A1's) did not react kindly), or rounds would pop out as you are running, low-crawling around. The only way to prevent dirt and dust from getting into the open one would be to put some kind of cover, which would have had to have been some field expedient solution (duct tape, a sock?). Then you have the issue of taking the "cover" off before you could pop that mag in, which would take time, which would kind of defeat the whole purpose, right? I can only ever recall seeing this in movies, but maybe someone has seen/done it in real life. Of course, maybe this would work with an AK-47, since I'm told you could drop those things in a muddy creek, pick them back up, pull the trigger, and they'd shoot just fine.

I learnt it like this:

Put the magazines side-by-side. Tape the bottoms together. Put a spent round (casing) between them about halfway up the magazine length. Check that you can insert the mag in your gun. If so, put another tape sling of tape around the mags, securing the casing in the process.

You should now have a V-shaped contraption which can quickly be shifted over when you need to exchange magazines, even when lying in firing position. Do remember to creep out of LOS when reloading and, if possible, switch position afterwards. Still, this helps with reload times.

Caveat: I have never fired a gun at a live target, nor have I taken part of a "real" conflict, only conscript training.

/kgm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Id be curious to see the general consensus on this matter?

I like your posts that attempt to get through to the historical meat of commonly asked questions.

Be aware, though, that photos lie; they just happen to lie convincingly - almost as convincingly as Nazi autobiographies.

Equipment details such as this were often left in the hands of individual unit commanders, barring a problem extensive enough to require corrective action - for example, faulty safeties on the Sten Gun required remedial action throughout the Commonwealth armies in the form of safety bulletins and eventually, IIRC, minor "hardware fixes". If the practice of taping magazines together was found to produce consistent stoppages, or led to failure in action, the practice would have led to a similar widescale remedial action or restriction on that practice. Barring that, unit commanders in combat usually permitted anything that increased efficiency, morale, or the perception of the former in the interests of the latter.

There were always exceptions, and some commanders felt that the letter of the regulations were the best means to enforce discipline and efficiency in their units. There is even some reason to believe they were sometimes right; the example of Captain Sobel is often given, and the belief among his soldiers that he "made" Easy Company even though he was a martinet. One wonders what an officer of his stripe would have thought about taping magazines together. Or just what it really matters in the end.

Sorry to ramble; I just wouldn't be all that keen on basing any conclusions based on a handful of photographs as I think you'll find they don't prove anything. It's a very interesting topic, but I think you'll find all the answers anecdotal at best and ultimately unsatisfying - but nonetheless entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tc237 wrote:
Quote:
Put the magazines side-by-side. Tape the bottoms together. Put a spent round (casing) between them

Sounds like a good field method.
Today they sell these:

The H&K G36 offers a similar option on their plastic mags, they have things on the sides that enable you to slide them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.