Hide
8 Posts

Formula D» Forums » General

Subject: where can I find scans / images of discontinued forumla dé tracks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James King
msg tools
It is my understanding that the original tracks will never be republished for Formula D. Considering this, I was wondering why it seems to be impossible to find reproductions of these tracks that people can print out and try. There are a couple in particular that I would love to play on, but I cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars to buy overpriced used tracks.

Maybe there is more to this story that I don't understand, but it seems like it would be in game maker's interests to have more tracks around, making the the game more popular, hence selling more games.

From reading various comments, it seems like some people have these images, but I could not find any online. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might have more luck actually posting this in the Formula Dé forums :p

And as far as I know, the Formula D-expansions are so far 50% new track, 50% reprint.

Also the reason you don't findt high-quality scans so easily probably has something to do with copyright issues. You might have heard of it? In any case there are several tracks available for download all over teh interwebs, also tons in the files-section (again, check the Formula Dé entry instead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"I fear threatening JC with a thumb boycott would be as effective as threatening Br'er Rabbit with the briar patch." (E. Brosius)
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that they are not going to reprint the old tracks because of the fact that they would have a harder time selling to existing fans of the game who already own them. By creating all new tracks from here on, they have the largest potential market for sales. I would posit that if they reprinted new tracks it would be very positive for everyone involved except for the ripoff sellers online. A run of even a few hundreds of each of the old tracks would surely have demand enough to sell out and could level out the obscene second hand market for Formula De tracks. Seriously, people. Auctions are calling for well over $100 at times for a single 2-sided track pack that should cost $30 new and less with depreciation. Board games as rare prints is bad for board gamers.

On the subject of copyrighting, Asmodee or whomever actually owns the copyrights to the old tracks would have to make a decision on enforcing that copyright. And in my opinion, they would do best to allow PNP creation of old tracks that won't be reprinted because as the OP suggested, it will create more buzz in the game. Look at how the self-printable 18XX games such as 18AL and 18GA have drawn in relative masses of new players that would have had less interest in finally trying 18xx without the print-and-play option? A lot of people like making their own stuff and having the ability to print old tracks for more content would draw people to Formula D sets.

But furthermore, I think it would also be a case of the pot calling the kettle black if they were to come after their own fan base for reprinting the old tracks of which they are depriving us. You will notice that none of the tracks ever use the ACTUAL track names. Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is simply labelled "Monterey". Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is simply "Montreal". Yet the tracks are obvious re-creations of those real-life tracks. The reason they are not officially named is because copying their track designs but not their name allowed the game publishers to avoid paying licensing fees.

Yet the De track makers don't want anyone cutting them out of their slide of the pie? Unfortunately, the entire pie was eaten long ago. If they aren't going to bake more, move on and let us enjoy their game.

On the other hand, keep in mind I haven't seen official statement that they won't reprint the old tracks, I've only seen the issue in other discussions and this could be speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://formulede.online.free.fr/downloadFD.php

The above site has images of most of the original tracks.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would have been an exciting find, except all the images are only 96dpi... very poor quality if you want to print them out in any respectable size. Anyway, like the second poster stated, there is the thing about copyright for these materials, so I don't see anyone hosting these anytime soon.

Weren't these scans related to a PC version of FormDe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Lastin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I posted this link on one of the other threads, but it might be more appropriate here. This is a link to a torrent file, so you will need utorrent or some other torrent program to get these.

The link is: https://sites.google.com/site/formulade1947/formula_de_board...

These scans are at 300 dpi and the photos measure about 5 feet x 3 feet in size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if i give this image to a printer, what size should i tell them to print the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boyce mcclellan
United States
Harrisonburg
VA
flag msg tools
racenace18 wrote:
I posted this link on one of the other threads, but it might be more appropriate here. This is a link to a torrent file, so you will need utorrent or some other torrent program to get these.

The link is: https://sites.google.com/site/formulade1947/formula_de_board...

These scans are at 300 dpi and the photos measure about 5 feet x 3 feet in size.

Any chance you can repost this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.