Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the (click on to get to geeklist):

Unity Games 16 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-16 (Boston area) on Feb. 6th, 2010! (NO Shipping Costs!)

I normally duplicate the geeklist header here for all the math trade rules and deadlines.... I'll just post the deadlines and folks can see the geeklist for the rules.

Deadlines:
Submissions (including sweeteners): Sunday, January 17th, 10:30pm Eastern Time
Want lists due: Sunday, January 24th, 10:00pm Eastern Time
Results posted: Sunday, January 24th, about 11:00pm Eastern Time

And might as well repeat the plug for the convention itself:

Unity Games XVI (16) - Open Gaming Convention
Woburn, MA (not far outside Boston)
Sat. Feb. 6th, 2010 - 9am to Midnight
http://www.unitygames.org/ugxvi/ugxvi.htm
Only $12.50 until up til 2 weeks before, then $15 at at the door (space permitting)

In addition to this regular math trade Joe is running a Turkey Swap using the MT tools, see:

Unity Games 16 Turkey Swap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results
Results are in the OLWLG...

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/

Click on the "results summary" link for this MT (Unity Games 16)

You can also click on "most wanted" to see the most wanted items, and the "who wanted mine" to see which want lists of others your items were on (so maybe you can make a direct trade you weren't planning to).

Summary:

34 users out of 39 have at least one trade (and one of the 5 who didn't was because they didn't submit any wants). The range in 100 iterations was as low as 32.

Num trades = 120 of 476 items (25.2%)
Num groups = 6
Group sizes = 49 36 29 2 2 2
Sum squares = 4550
Elapsed time = 12000ms

Three direct trades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-16 (Boston area) on Feb. 6th, 2010! (NO Shipping Costs!)
reserved 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-16 (Boston area) on Feb. 6th, 2010! (NO Shipping Costs!)
Ok, I just did a resync of user's collection data so the list of "Wanted but Not Offered" games at:

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/glstats.cgi?listid=50081#r...

should now be as up to date as folks collection (wish and want lists on BGG) data is.

That list as of this writing follows (only cut/pasted those wanted by at least 3 folks in the math trade so far).... (the number is the number of folks who have the game on their bgg wish and/or want lists)

6 Le Havre
5 Endeavor
5 Crokinole
5 Power Grid - Factory Manager
4 Traders of Carthage
4 Space Alert
4 Power Grid - Brazil/Spain & Portugal
4 Blue Moon City: Expansion Tile Sets 1 & 2
4 Dungeon Lords
4 Steam
4 Planet Steam
4 Napoleon's Triumph
4 Alea Treasure Chest
3 Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
3 Small World
3 Automobile
3 Keythedral
3 Brass
3 Dixit
3 YINSH
3 King of Siam
3 Ra: The Dice Game
3 Stronghold
3 Ticket to Ride: USA 1910
3 Hansa Teutonica
3 Phoenicia
3 Raj
3 Pandemic
3 Dominion
3 In the Year of the Dragon
3 Caylus
3 Tinners' Trail
3 Tobago
3 Hamsterrolle
3 GemBlo
3 Saint Petersburg Expansion
3 Torres
3 Rails of Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a reminder of rule #3
Quote:
3. * You must accurately describe your game's condition, language, edition, etc. If you do not then the condition will be assumed to be "like new" and complete, English language version. Do not simply say "as pictured" as it's not always obvious. When in doubt though, folks should post a comment to the item and/or geekmail the item's owner with questions.

3.5. * For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete (I've been on the receiving end 2 or 3 times thus far where the owner assumed and it wasn't)

3.6. * If the game and/or expansion you are listing is a "Print & Play" make that clear in the description (and I recommend you give specifics what it was printed on, mounted on, etc).

I want to expand on the Do not simply say "as pictured".... first this is not up for discussion. The geeklist header right near the top in red says:
Quote:
Also Very Important!
You must read the Limits & Rules below before joining in on this math trade!
and after the rules:
Quote:
By posting an entry on this list, you agree to abide both by the general math trade guidelines and by those specific to this math trade.

If anyone wants to quibble about the rules do so before you add items.

second the reason for this rule is multi-fold and is evolutionary from several years of math trading experiences where problems have showed up due to folks saying simply just that "as pictured".

* most large math trades we've always had some folks list items with the wrong image even when they explicitly selected one (vs. the default BGG "representative image").

* your customers (those who may be interested) should not have to know things about the image and try to deduce things. everyone also does not have perfect vision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I would add a third reason, namely that the OLWLG has the text but not the pictures. So just saying "as pictured" requires calling up the original GeekList entry to look at. Which is not difficult, but it gets tiresome to have to do it many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I would add a third reason, namely that the OLWLG has the text but not the pictures. So just saying "as pictured" requires calling up the original GeekList entry to look at. Which is not difficult, but it gets tiresome to have to do it many times.

Do note that if you click on the
icon it will toggle the icon into the image (and clicking the image will toggle back to the icon). By default the OLWLG doesn't display images as it could be a lot of images the browser would have to load (keep in mind some math trades have over 2,000 items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadline to offer items is tonight (Sun the 17th) at 10:30pm ET.... Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - deliver games at UG-16 (Boston area) on Feb. 6th, 2010! (NO Shipping Costs!)
Reminder:

deadline to offer items is tonight (Sun the 17th) at 10:30pm ET

this is also the deadline to edit any items.

We are behind the last few years on both the number of users and the number of items being offered... but still more than the first few UG math trades and we still had a good number of items being traded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want list submission window open.... Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - Submit Want Lists by Sunday Jan 24th!
Hi all, the deadline for offering items has passed, we are now in the window where you can submit, and re-submit your want lists as often as you like up until....

Want lists due: Sunday, January 24th, 10:00pm Eastern Time

Remember we are using the OLWLG to both compose your want lists and to submit them.

Submission is done as described under "step 5" in that wiki page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mid-week status update... Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - Submit Want Lists by Sunday Jan 24th!
With

# MISSING 215 WANTS (49.5%) FROM 16 USER(s) (41%)

Num trades = 49 of 220 items (22.3%)

I do want to contact one person though who looks like they may have made a mistake as I see what looks like a major down trade occurring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadline tonight.... Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - Submit Want Lists by Sunday Jan 24th!
We are down to 3 folks 1 person with only 0.2% of the wants (not counting myself who will definitely have them in) who have not submitted their WANTS yet (I just sent a reminder geekmail to):

2 ijmcf (Iain McFadyen)
7 teryg (Tery Noseworthy)
16 rkircher (robert kircher)

If anyone else knows these folks off BGG (and maybe off the UG mailing list which I also sent a reminder out to) and is reading this in time (before 10pm Eastern Time tonight, Sunday the 24th) please remind them. Could be they just don't want anything the rest of us are offering

Note that Aldie has scheduled BGG downtime for tonight at midnight I think our time (Eastern)... results (and the "who wanted mine" and "most wanted" lists) will be in the OLWLG and available regardless....

I must say you all must be getting to be math trade veterans as I don't think I've seen a math trade with no questions coming up here in the discussion forum! Hopefully that's a good sign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - Submit Want Lists by Sunday Jan 24th!
JeffyJeff wrote:
I do want to contact one person though who looks like they may have made a mistake as I see what looks like a major down trade occurring.

I'm think I might post intermediate results for the next in-person math trade I run, for just such a reason. It's not clear to me if the upside - letting folks know that they've submitted want lists that might result in unintended trades - is greater than the downside - getting hopes up and potentially confusing matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:

If I listed a game but select no valid trades for it, does it not get traded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Question:

If I listed a game but select no valid trades for it, does it not get traded?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by valid trades, but here's a try at answering your question. If you list only one game as a want, and that game's owner lists no wants for that game, then your game will not trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you list a game for trade but do not select any games for it on your want list, it won't trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results, 120 items traded
Results are in the OLWLG...

Click on the "results summary" link for this MT (Unity Games 16)

You can also click on "most wanted" to see the most wanted items, and the "who wanted mine" to see which want lists of others your items were on (so maybe you can make a direct trade you weren't planning to).

Summary:

34 users out of 39 have at least one trade (and one of the 5 who didn't was because they didn't submit any wants). The range in 100 iterations was as low as 32.

Num trades = 120 of 476 items (25.2%)
Num groups = 6
Group sizes = 49 36 29 2 2 2
Sum squares = 4550
Elapsed time = 12000ms

Three direct trades!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Can someone explain to me how to read the "My items wanted" on the list? Example below.

"Game Name" (290)

1. "Trade Game 1" (24) [userX] 2/5
2. "Trade Game 2" (286) [userY] 0/

Does the above mean, that I must trade the game with userX?? Or can I also say "no" to it, if It's something not to my liking?

I assume, that strikethroughs are the games that didn't trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the most wanted item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
What do you mean by that? Do you mean the "raw want item" that's behind the "/"??

Rappak wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you are looking at the "who wanted mine"... those are not your trades... see the "results summary" link for all the trades... ie.

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

The "who wanted mine" script which you quoted below is just an fyi tool to see for each of your items what others were offering for it (ie. which of their want lists your items appeared on). Some folks may actually find something they didn't consider and could propose a direct trade.
greengow wrote:
Can someone explain to me how to read the "My items wanted" on the list? Example below.

"Game Name" (290)

Does the above mean, that I must trade the game with userX?? Or can I also say "no" to it, if It's something not to my liking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:

In the OLWLG click on the "most wanted" link for this MT to see the full list... as well as showing which ones traded (bolded), which ones were yours (highlighted in green to easily scroll the list to find), etc

In any case the most wanted (both by number of users w/it on at least one list, and the number of want lists overall) was....

17/210/2 - Power Grid - Factory Manager (263) [huber]

I don't think Joe really wanted to trade it though, the /2 means the want list for it itself only had 2 items on it (both of which were for items that were for items with either empty want lists or for the other if you follow the chain also ends in a dead end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Oh, I really wanted to trade - it just didn't happen that many things I really wanted to trade for were offered.

But it certainly wasn't the item I most wanted to trade (probably The Prince).

Of course, I'm open to trade offers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised nobody wanted my 7 game pack... but Wow! I traded 45% of my items. That means 8 new games! Another successful UG math trade!

Tons of thanks to Jeff for running it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Jeff,

thanks for the explanation. This being my first MT I was bit confused. Now it makes more sense.

JeffyJeff wrote:
you are looking at the "who wanted mine"... those are not your trades... see the "results summary" link for all the trades... ie.

http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

The "who wanted mine" script which you quoted below is just an fyi tool to see for each of your items what others were offering for it (ie. which of their want lists your items appeared on). Some folks may actually find something they didn't consider and could propose a direct trade.
greengow wrote:

"Game Name" (290)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what to do now and at UG16... Re: Unity Games 16 Math Trade - Results are up in the OLWLG!
For those (almost everyone) with at least one item trading....

1. you may want to make official trade proposals through boardgamegeek's trading system. For items you traded away you should have them marked "for trade" in your collection, then on the trades summary page if you click on the bgg username of the person you "gives" to it will bring you right to the BGG page for proposing a trade with this person.

2. don't forget to actually bring the games (including any sweeteners you offered in the same item listing) you traded to Unity Games 16. I also recommend using post it notes on each game with the bgg username of the person you are giving it to, who it's from (you) and it doesn't hurt to put the name of the game in case the note comes off....

3. ... reason is you won't need to go around looking for everyone you give to and receive from. The UG steering committee is once again being generous and letting us use some precious wall space inside the hall, and Phil is also being his awesome self and will be setting the area that will be labeled "Math Trade" and for each person trading some sign-age derived from the trades summary page of what you are receiving. Phil has also one upped himself this year and has portable shelving he's bringing so we can minimize how much horizontal wall space we take up. Thanks Phil!!! After you arrive you should deliver each game by placing it (or starting) the appropriate pile for each person you are giving games to.

You'll also want to keep an eye on your own pile and move games you received to your own storage outside the math trade area.

4. I want to thank everyone who participated in the math trade! Just like any party, I may have set it up but if no one came to the party it wouldn't be much of one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.