Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Check out these tiny Ogre minis, made out of Legos!:

I haven't priced these puppies on Bricklink yet, but I think they're cheaper than real metal minis. They're also incredibly compact - they don't quite fit onto the old hex'n'counter maps, but they easily stack into the hexes of the larger-sized maps in Ogre Deluxe and Deluxe Ogre. Plus, with Lego, its easy to build your own 3d maps.

The design for the HVY is precious - it's a copy of some lego Genius' creation, and now I've lost the link. That inspired the whole line.

The MSL design faced the most hemming and hawing. The question was whether to be true to the old game's art, or to go for something with a recognisable missile. The two finalists are below:

Ultimately, it is a matter of taste, but I think the one with the recognisable missile is cuter.

The GEV is the weakest of the three main armor units. I'm definitely eager to hear suggestions on how to improve it. Another problem is that at only 2 pixels long, there doesn't appear to be any room for a smaller LGEV! The same problem applies to the Light Tank.

I'll post pictures of the Superheavy and Mobile Howitzer in a day or so - they're adorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sheer GENIUS.

Did you ever find out how much it would cost to build to have enough for a full game of OGRE or GEV?

edit: oh, didn't realize you just posted this today. I'll have to see how much it'd cost. Thats really great.

One question, if you played with these guys rather than the chits, how would you represent a disabled one? Just flip it? or do you have another method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are cool!

I did a whole set of my own designs some time ago, but Geocities went under, and BGG removed all my photos and wouldn't say why (I still don't know!)

Does Lego Factory have the needed parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
$6 buys a lot of these guys
I'm told by my Lego friend that the pros use "Bricklink", the eBay of lego. So I trotted on over and looked up the prices for the pieces, assuming buying in quantity. You'd better be sitting down for this:

MSL tank: $.20
HVY tank: $.10
GEV tank: $.11
Superheavy: $.15
Mobile HWZ: $.40
INF: $.01 each

So for the basic Ogre game, you'd want about 12 each of the top three types of armor, five howitzers, 30 squads of INF, and a CP.

A whole set will cost you $6.. Not a bad deal. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I gotta get more Lego bricks.. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a piece list for them?
And
There's OGRE models also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
There's OGRE models also?

Here are some Ogre models (scroll down):
http://www.efran.org/embassy/lego-ogre.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Lego Minatures II: Bloodlines
Christian: thanks for that link. This was the genesis of the idea. His renderings needed more kung-fu.

Fiddled around with bricklink some more. It turns out that in order to get those prices, you have to exceed a minimum order. Minimum orders are on the order of $10-$50. Not all stores have all the parts in the needed quantities. So the bottom line is I'll have to back waaay off that $6/army claim, if you're just doing enough to build one game.

I was toying with the idea of buying huge numbers - enough to make 20+ sets, and then reselling them in one-stop shopping sets for other gamers. Two problems with that:
1) Its boring and stressful - I'm not a businessman.
2) If it were advertised as "Ogre", it would run afoul of the trademark issue.
So my current thinking is that the best entity to undertake this job is Steve Jackson Games. Buying parts from suppliers, repackaging them, and selling them at a profit is already an arrow in their quiver. By being able to actively advertise, they could get a lot more sales than you or I, and maybe make money at it(???)

As promised, here are the other units, largely from GEV and Shockwave.

TANKs

SHVY - Superheavy on the left (*)
LT - Light Tank in the center
HVY - Heavy Tank on the right

GEVs

GEV-PC - Personel Carrier with two squads on the left
GEV - Ground Effect Vehicle in the center
LGEV - Light GEV on the right (*)

Artillery

MSL - Missile Tank on the left
MHWZ - Mobile Howizter in the center (*)
Howitzer on the right

(*) denotes figures that could be significantly improved if I had better pieces. The LGEV should have a tile cockpit - the same piece but smooth on top, so you see the red stud inside it. The SHVY needs red axles instead of light grey. They make 'em, I just don't have any. And the MHWZ could replace some black components with red ones, which saves a piece and makes the cockpit smaller.

Things to think about:
Lasers, Nukes, and Ogres!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not familiar with Brick Link but my son uses Lego Builder freeware which allows you to design a Lego, calculate the price of the finished product and order it online directly from the factory. You even get to choose the box graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lego Shop (URLs vary according to where you are, but www.lego.com is a good start) allows you to buy *most* elements pretty cheaply, with no minimum order*. The service often goes by the name "Pick a Brick" and might work out cheaper than buying from resellers.

*well, that's mostly true. There's no minimum as such - if you want a single brick, they'll sell it to you (usually for just a few cents) - but there is a shipping charge. It's about a fiver here in the UK, so it effectively doubles the cost of an order that is only a hundred bricks or so. It's darned useful, mind you. I don't know how the Lego fans stop themselves from spending thousands there**.

** actually, looking at some Lego creations on the net, I rather suspect that quite a lot of Lego fans CAN'T stop themselves from spending thousands there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These would probably fit the Deluxe Ogre maps quite well...as the hexes were bigger.

I looked on SJGames website and Warehouse23 but couldn't find it....does anyone know where one could still get the Ogre maps with BIGGER hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone check these out?

Could be used for....

OGRE!

howitzer

Mobile howitzer

Light Tank

Heavy Tank

GEV

Missile Tanks (although it doesn't have wheels..)

Troops

There is a whole assortment, I'd love to see some more made, these would be great for OGRE...and they're 2mm (1/900th scale!)

check it out here, i might order some of these!

http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?product=gmm&keywor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool to play Lego Ogre with these on an Ogre Map made out of Heroscape tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
These would probably fit the Deluxe Ogre maps quite well...as the hexes were bigger.

I looked on SJGames website and Warehouse23 but couldn't find it....does anyone know where one could still get the Ogre maps with BIGGER hexes?

Those maps were never really that great. They were all shiny, which was extremely distracting. Eventually I just went to the fabric store and bought some fabric in the right color. Drew on a grid of hexes and put in the official terrain. It folds better. It looks better. It is better.

Of course now I feel compelled to build the whole map out of Legos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh heck yes! I will be placing an order today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
[q="asgelb"]...Of course now I feel compelled to build the whole map out of Legos.

Another possibility is the Heroscape hex terrain. Still 'buildable' but already pre-shaped into what you're after, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
The enclave, Newark
California
flag msg tools
5UIIIIII3R \/4C4Ti0I\I 15 h3r3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread.
martimer wrote:
Oh heck yes! I will be placing an order today!

Heck yes. I think I will too, but I need rules. Maps too, correct?
I've never played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Efran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here are some Ogre models (scroll down):
http://www.efran.org/embassy/lego-ogre.html

Quote:
Christian: thanks for that link. This was the genesis of the idea. His renderings needed more kung-fu.

So it seems! Wow!

I designed mine to have a simplified, Tangram-like iconography...and I tried to use mostly parts I already had. (That didn't quite work. All those Ogre tread units!) And those wonderful 1x1 slopes didn't exist yet....

But yours are definitely cooler! I'm going to go build some now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Finally got around to the big dog...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools

Very nice...but while I generally like your versions ALOT more than the originals, there is one thing he used that did appeal to me...
having the clear plastic peices underneath the GEV units, to give them that "hovering" appearance.

Just a thought.

I'm glad you tackled the GEV Personnel Carrier (a unit he didn't attempt, and one I always enjoyed using in the game). While I think the way you chose to approach the GEV(PC) was clever - stacking the little infantry peices one atop the other, there was something about it that just didn't "feel right" to me. While the idea of the big engines on the back of the GEVs looks good in general, if there was a way to do it, I would leave them off the GEV(PC) to give it that long flat-bed look it had. But awesome work...I'm just talking minor preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
flag msg tools

Oh, and the people that mentioned Heroscape do have a point I think.

The Heroscape tiles with their ideal hex-shapes and pre-marked colors that could indicate terrain, would not only be useful for laying out a new playing surface each game...theres something about them that would just seem like a perfect match for these little plastic warmachines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Efran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
that "hovering" appearance

Quote:
that long flat-bed look

You read my mind. Twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
hawt! laugh

And purple too! Now you're just showing off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
And on the topic of the Ogre, one design decision that had to be taken was whether or not to use the "Winchell Chung" ogre design, or the "Ogre Miniatures" ogre design. The Winch model has very wide treads - wider in total than the rest of the chassis. 2 studs wide per tread at this scale. IMHO the Winch model looks better from the front, but I ran out of dark grey 2x2 tiles, so I was forced to make the Ogre Minis version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.