United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the idea the other day for this, and thought it would be fun. If you've never played WDtC before, it's quite simple. One player draws a question card that has a couple blanks in it and then they draw a couple of noun cards to fill in those blanks. This creates a joke and the players are challenged to come up with a punchline for that joke. And don't feel like you need to be ultra-creative. Sometimes the most inane or obscure answer will be just right to get people laughing.

Rules of the PbF game: I will create a joke using some cards from the game. I will give approximately 24 hours for people to geekmail me punchlines for the joke. Then I will post a poll for people to vote on which punchline they like the best, but I will set a deadline for people to vote (probably only another 24 hours to keep things moving.) The punchline that receives the most votes in that time will win, and I will award the author a small geekgold prize, and then post a new joke. For now let's keep it to 1 answer per person in case there are a ton of participants (pick your best one.) And, if I think of something clever I may throw in my own answer as well.

Note: Don't post your punchline here, send it to me by geekmail so that no one knows who wrote which line. Also, you might want to subscribe to this thread so you will get notification when I've posted the poll.

Here's the first joke:

What's the difference between a Bartender and a Secretary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright now vote for your favorite:

Poll
What's the difference between a bartender and a secretary?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Whether the Alcohol comes before or after 'the service'.
17.6% 3
One is great for that secret, illicit affair you've always fantasized about and the other is a secretary.
11.8% 2
When a secretary fulfills one too many purchase orders, she usually doesn't end her shift mopping up vomit.
11.8% 2
Peanuts. The bartender serves them, the secretary works for them.
17.6% 3
One services dolts all day long while...wait, there is no difference.
17.6% 3
A bartender gets Sex on the Beach anytime anyone asks for it.
0.0% 0
One takes money for shots over the table, the other takes money shots under the table.
11.8% 2
Your bartender won't transcribe your boozy confessions and email them to your wife.
5.9% 1
One is the straight guy in thousands of jokes, but the other is only in a few hundred.
0.0% 0
Post-it Notes.
5.9% 1
Voters 17
This poll is now closed.   17 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there some way in polls to prohibit seeing the results until it's over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Isn't there some way in polls to prohibit seeing the results until it's over?

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mb

And I have to choose one??

There are a lot of really good ones!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

And I have to choose one??

There are a lot of really good ones!!

Maybe all WDtC games should be played with 24-hour turns...

(For the record, I didn't vote for my own.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! 3-way tie for the first question between Randy Cox, EgorjLileli, and Guantanamo.

Here's question #2:

Why is a Tiger better than a College Student?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cleary
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering, did the winners vote for their own entries or someone else's? I voted for someone else's entry, and lost by 1. Not that I'm bitter, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinge wrote:
Just wondering, did the winners vote for their own entries or someone else's? I voted for someone else's entry, and lost by 1. Not that I'm bitter, of course.

I'm not sure...I voted for your entry, puffinge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
puffinge wrote:

To be honest, I voted for my own entry. But, I came into it thinking I'd vote for someone else's. I almost did, but in the end I did like mine the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
puffinge wrote:

To be honest, I voted for my own entry. But, I came into it thinking I'd vote for someone else's. I almost did, but in the end I did like mine the best.

The same thing happened to me. I was sure I would vote for someone else's because I wasn't too crazy about mine. In the end, I liked mine better than the rest!!! So, I voted with my honest opinion. I never dreamed I'd come even close to winning/tying!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinge wrote:
Puffin sighting!

Anyway, I did not vote for my entry. I did vote for someone else's, which was one of the co-winners.

Lesson: if I'd voted for myself, I would have deprived two others of sharing the victory with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Lesson: if I'd voted for myself, I would have deprived two others of sharing the victory with me.

Good for you.

(I was in the same position of puffinge (no $3 tip necessary). Of course, I liked mine the best too, but thought it was more sporting to vote for another.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Randy was the real winner?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

I guess I am not a good sport--honest--but not a good sport?????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cleary
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to tell who posted each entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Though I’ve worked with power tools all my life, I can count the number of serious accidents I’ve had on one hand and half a foot."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because the OP wants people to vote based on which line they think is funny, not on who submitted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puffinge wrote:

I was in the same boat--voted for a winner, lost by one. I'll just have to come up with a better one next time. I get points for voting for a winner, don't I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I assume he meant after the contest was "closed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are interested I can post who wrote which response after each poll is closed.

Also, to try and alleviate the "I didn't vote for myself and I lost" problem I think I might make the next poll so that you can vote on your 2 favorite answers. I mean, in the published game the judge selects 2 answers so I figure that might work. That way players who provide an answer can, if they want, vote for their own and another answer they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good idea, Ben. By my "sporting" comment, I wasn't as concerned about the bias (those who vote for themselves are more likely to win) as much as much less meaningful results (especially with so few folks voting). Your fix addresses my "concern".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again...vote for your favorite:

Poll
Why is a Tiger better than a College Student?

(You may vote for only 2 answers)
A Cat won't eat what it can't smell.
21.4% 3
Because their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs, they're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!
14.3% 2
Because a college student will eat you out of house and home, whereas a tiger will simply eat *you*.
7.1% 1
A tiger won't wander into the crosswalk without looking while wearing earphones and busily texting her friend.
28.6% 4
You only get one year for poaching a tiger, and no one pays squat for college student skins.
28.6% 4
A tiger is better than a college student because if you send a college student to attack your enemies, all he will do is stage a protest at the mall. A tiger, on the other hand, will maul your enemies on stage. Get it? Roy Horn? *wink wink, nudge nudge* No? Too soon?
7.1% 1
Post-it Notes
7.1% 1
For a tiger, any gnus is good gnus.
14.3% 2
A college student wouldn't even know how to spell "They'rrrrre Great!"
21.4% 3
Really, has any college student ever won The Masters?
28.6% 4
Voters 14
This poll is now closed.   14 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay with a new question. It looks like we had another 3-way tie! Dave, jeffwiles, and puffinge all acquired 4 votes. I just went ahead and tipped some of your posts earlier in this thread for your pay out. I also might start a geeklist with the next poll in order to garner more votes (since geeklists tend to get a little more attention.)

Here's question #3:

What's the punchline of the old joke about a Pirate and a Camel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll for Question #3:

Poll
What's the punchline of the old joke about a Pirate and a Camel?

(Vote for a maximum of 2 answers!)
And Blackbeard would have terrorized the desert as well, if not for the camel's peg hump getting all slippery!
15.4% 6
"That's not my hump!" "That's not my peg leg!"
59.0% 23
'What you talkin' about Willis?'
5.1% 2
Post-It Notes
20.5% 8
So if you ever meet a guy with a parrot on his shoulder, a patch over one eye, a wooden peg for a leg, and a hook for a hand...don't hump him!
23.1% 9
Voters 39
This poll is now closed.   39 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Wed Feb 3, 2010 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
So has the interest already died down, or were everyone as 'blocked' as I was on this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just brain freeze. Now that I'm not accessing this through my iTouch I'll try to send something in for the next one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.