1 Posts

Luck of the Draw» Forums » Reviews

Subject: a light review of 'LUCK OF THE DRAW' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bee :)
United States
flag msg tools
Components/Quality: This game comes with a nice assortment of category and subject cards, good quality spinning voting wheels, a die, 45 second timer, and a set of colored chips, pencils, and pads. The directions included with this game were quite clear to understand. This game accommodates up to 8 players. At first I wondered why it came with paper and pencils, rather than environmentally-friendly dry erase markers and boards, but I think it's always easier to find a pencil handy than a dry erase marker (and the markers usually come defective in most games anyway). All of the parts in the box seem to be fairly sturdy.

Game Play: Everyone draws the same picture at the same time. The subject of the drawing is determined when one player rolls the die and matches the rolled number to a corresponding subject on a card. Forty-five seconds tick away as each player sketches their representation. When the time expires, all pictures get shuffled in the center so everyone can view them. Then the roller for the round rolls the die again to determine how many different categories the sketches will be judged upon. A different colored chip is placed on each drawing in the center. As each category for judgment is revealed, players spin their voting wheels to secretly select the color that matches the colored chip on the picture of their choosing. After all categories are judged for the round, players who drew majority-vote winning sketches, collect the corresponding category cards. The game mechanics are very solid. When I played with friends, we enjoyed it so much that we played until one player had won ten category cards, instead of the seven suggested to declare a winner a four player game.

Overall Impressions: This game is very light-hearted and uncompetitive. With 'Luck of the Draw,' it really isn't about winning or losing--it's about laughing. It was easy to learn how to play the game and even easier to just relax, enjoy the activity of drawing, and the social interaction it sparked. There is a lot of re-playability because there are many subject cards, and several choices on each. Plus, you can always play this game with cards from a 'Pictionary' game, as well, or simply come up with your own words or phrases.

Sometimes the most artistically challenged person will win this game, and other times, the best artists will come out on top. The "luck" in this game is found mostly in the judgment categories, which range quite broadly in the spectrum from "neatest" to "most square" to "used the more graphite." It is also very interesting to see if your perception of the sketches matches up with that of fellow players. As I have said, I cannot promise that the best artist will triumph, but I can promise that all those participating will get a good laugh (as long as they don't take the possibility of having their sketch be the brunt of a joke to be a deal-breaker). laugh This game allows even the worst artists to take some pride in their efforts. It is a true party game and will work well to either open a game-night, or end the session, because you can be completely exhausted and still be able to play effectively.

After my first play of this game, I think it was a very smart decision not to go the dry erase route with this game because some people might want to catalog the various masterpieces created in different rounds or hang them on the fridge! You can always play with scrap paper, which in itself, is an environmentally-conscious move.

I intend to post some photos from future plays of 'Luck of the Draw,' along with the winning category card, so other people can derive the same laughter from this game that I hope to in the years to come.

Rating: 9/10

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.