Thumb up
1 Posts

Knatsch: Katalog Edition 2» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Knatsch (Knights) "Katalog edition 2" - Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Vazquez
flag msg tools

(On the left, the "Queen" special card. On the right, the Victory Condition "Marriage". Picture posted by user Isaac Bickerstaf)

What is this?

Michael Schatch, the designer of Knatsch, created six "bonus card" for Knatsch - those are the third and the fourth.

How can I get them?

Similar to the other 4, by dowloading and printing them! They can be found here:

In the original game there were five blank cards where you can paste the new ones... but - five blank for six new! What should we do? blush

In the original game there is 3 "Victory condition" cards:

(The three original Victory Conditions. Picture posted by user Ken F.)

You don't play them - you just set them on the table to remind the players how they can win. As there is two new "V.C." cards, my suggestion is: do not paste one or both of them, just print them! It will make no difference during the game and will save you some cards.

What do these cards do?

We have (again) two interrelated cards. The first is the "Queen", a special card. To win it you must beat a combination of 4,4,4 and 3.

The card itself does nothing at all. But wait for it...

The other card is "The Marriage". It's a new "Victory condition" card. It states that if you have both the "Queen" and the "Protection" special card, you win the game!

Some explanation about the "Protection" card

You immediately win the game if you have 4 castles... Or if you have 3 and battle the king!

But it's not easy: you need to beat a combination of 5,5,5,5 and 1 (it's the strongest card in the game). Not only, if you loose the battle, you loose one of your castles too! Just because you didn't vote for him is no excuse for you to be so rude... shake

So, there is the "Protection" card to help you, you anti-monarchists:

(It's good to have friends like him.)

With this card, if you don't topple the king's dice, you don't loose one of your castles. Now this card has a second use: if you have it, plus the "Queen", you win the game.

What is the impact of these cards in the game?

Not so great as the first two bonus cards (you can see my review here):

At first sight it seems the easiest way to win - just two special cards... But they are hard to come by. In the game you have two piles of cards, each one containing approx. 24 cards. First of all, if you try to get a card and don't win the dices, the card is sent to the bottom of the pile... Not only, every player can, once during a turn, send one card of any pile to the bottom of the pile.

So, suppose you have the luck to get one of these two cards. The other players will do anything against you, i.e., if the other card shows up during their turn, they will probably send it to the bottom of the pile and how many turns until it returns... cry

Another problem is that you can try to capture your opponent's special cards. You just need to win the dice combination printed on the card - the opponent has nothing to do but watch. So, if you have one of the two cards, and your opponent the other, he will try to get yours (and vice-versa). As is very easy to get it, the game will probably be over very soon.

(Note: there is a special card called "Special card guard" that could protect your "queen"/"protection".)

Final conclusions

IMHO, this is just an interesting expansion that could be almost non-existant or the most important victory condition of them all. They are hard to get by (you can play the entire game without them showing up) but, if they do and two different players have them, the game will be resumed to who can steal the card from the other.

I think Mr. Schatch felt a kind of Victory Condition was missing: one involving only special cards. Now we have two with castles, one with castles/tournaments, and this new one (plus one from the other expansion, the 6 times 6 wins).

I believe it's worth to try them, but if it becomes too usual for the game to end with this new Victory Condition, the best thing to do is remove them for awhile.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.